Sick nasty guitarist

To be honest, it's not something i would really listen to on a regular basis. I just wanted to present the guy as a great guitarist. I don't listen to guys that shred or tear up guitar that often anyways. I only figured that people would respect the fact that justin can own a guitar.

I don't understand how you can watch a video of Justin King playing and say anything bad about him. He's not ripping off Michael Hedges. Why is it that whenever somebody not well known who plays like someone famous 20 years ago gets criticized simply because he isn't Michael Hedges? That's like me saying that some amazing guitar player I saw in a local bar is no good because he was playing like someone famous. King obviously was influenced by Hedges, but to say he is ripping him off just for the sake of "showing off" is dumb. Besides King doesn't play exactly like Hedges did. If you know anything about Hedges technique, then you wouldn't say that King is ripping him off. Burningsky is right, King's attack is more aggressive and his song writing sounds nothing like that of Hedges. You are telling me that King plays exactly like Hedges did and is exploiting his style for the sake of showing off? Then you might as well say that B.B. King stole Robert Johnson's style for the sake of showing off. Because Johnson invented Blues guitar that makes anyone else in the future that plays in the style of blues unoriginal? What about SRV? He was a show off on stage and he definately borrowed a lot of techniques from Jimi Hendrix, including burning guitars and wearing crazy clothing. Does that mean that SRV was ripping Hendrix off ONLY for the sake of showing off? King's songwriting may suck, but he doesn't sound exactly like Michael Hedges. You need to listen to the two and compare them again. I just don't think its fair to criticize him based on what you said regarding Hedges.

Edit: this is a friend's post, its not me

obviously these fuming replies are for me :)

i don't enjoy showy guitar playing anymore. I do enjoy songs. Justin King's songs do not interest me. I try my best not to allow things that don't have to do with how it sounds (like how hard it is to play for example) influence what i think about it as a song. If i were in to those kinds of techniques purely based on a wow-factor kind of feeling, then maybe i would enjoy it more. I don't think i need to justify why i enjoy Michael Hedges' songwriting and not Justin King's.

btw, the examples were rather poor. SRV wrote good songs. B.B. has undeniably unique character to his playing and songwriting. I would listen to their songs because they sound good, not because of how hard they are or anything to do with the mechanics of the playing. It's not about "ripping off", it's about using a technique to serve a songwriting purpose. I'd be more than happy if someone came along who played like hedges and wrote memorable moving songs. In fact, i think Chris Brown does just that. Andreas Kapsalis is another one who's more of a songwriter than a "shower".

If you want to see a guy who borrows heavily from Hedges then check out Andy Mckee. I think www.andymckee.com is his website, if not just google it. Hes got a bunch of mp3s and videos. I think he's a decent songwriter.

Nuk3m said:
Hes got some talent, i like his unique sorta ill do everything but play it normally thing going on. Definatly like the slapping and popping.

Damn bassist removed the chrome neck pick up cover, wheres the SHINE!! WHERE IS THE SHINEIE!!
Omg your avatar is a bass clef.

Thank GOD I am taking piano lessons, I would never have known!

How is that sick and nasty? I thought he was going to start taking his clothes off and sodomizing his guitar or something.

Besides that, I thought he was pretty impressive.