Silhouette

Hoahmaru

May 5, 2005
Has anyone notice that Silhouette even though is a solo piano song, it still sounds like Opeth??? No guitars just piano... Its amazing.... You can immediately recognize it as Opeth... Being a piano player myself its a beautiful peice... Only Opeth huh?? Anyways.. I would like to hear your comments about this song...

I don't know about it being instantly recognizeable as Opeth. Say they were to rip one of these piano solos on 'Ghost Reveries' and I were to hear it and not get told it was Opeth, I'd have nothing to connect to them with. I mean it's piano... Opeth don't use piano all that often.... it's a big solo.... Opeth generally tend to not start a song, solo for 3 minutes straight and then end the song (barring Epilogue here).

I mean sure there's lots of atmosphere in this because its a big wet recording, verbed up alot, but there are a ton of bands out there who do stuff closer to this than Opeth. My first guesses would lie elsewhere.

yea man, there's NOTHING in that track that sounds like anything opeth would normally do.

it does fit the album, but that's not the point.

It does sound like Opeth because of its dark atmosphere and heavy minor/dimished usage, but if I honestly didn't know it was by Opeth, I'd probably think of it as a weak Chopin composition or something.

Still an amazing song.

I've never heard another piano song similar to this one, so who knows. Requiem reminded me of Metallica the first time I heard it, no idea why. And actually when I was a newb to Opeth, I thought it was Mike who played Silhouette on the piano.

Moonlapse said:
Opeth don't use piano all that often.... it's a big solo.... Opeth generally tend to not start a song, solo for 3 minutes straight and then end the song (barring Epilogue here).

Don't forget Ending Credits now... That's basically a big solo piece too. (IMO)

I always thought if they turned some of those piano riffs into guitar riffs, it would be pretty kickass.

Silhouette was the prelude to all the other little interlude songs on the other albums. It was a sign of things to come.

Protected Witness said:
I always thought if they turned some of those piano riffs into guitar riffs, it would be pretty kickass.

Silhouette was the prelude to all the other little interlude songs on the other albums. It was a sign of things to come.
Hm, I'm not sure about turning them into guitar riffs...I think it wouldn't work.

However, Silhouette, for me, is something really special in the Opeth discography.
It's emanating such a weird atmosphere, somehow abstract and surreal. It really creates images before my eyes making me instantly think of the colors black and white, a window throwing shadows or an endless staircase and stuff like this. I once made a picture out of it.

I'd put it along with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in terms of atmosphere.

Does anyone know of any artists or albums with song similar to that. What I mean is pretty much an album only with piano songs, nothing else.

Also, Dissection used a piano piece for their outro for the album "Storm of Light's Bane", the name of the song is "No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep", worthy of a listen.

George said:
Does anyone know of any artists or albums with song similar to that. What I mean is pretty much an album only with piano songs, nothing else.

Also, Dissection used a piano piece for their outro for the album "Storm of Light's Bane", the name of the song is "No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep", worthy of a listen.

Yeah dude... Not similar style but very good... Just send me a message on MSN OR AIM...

MSN: Agarenas68@hotmail.com
AIM: HoahmaruFugudoku

George said:

Try Chopin's nocturnes. I like them best as recorded by Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Edit: Here's the CD I'm referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1_10/103-0370187-0099064?v=glance&s=classical

To answer the original question, I don't think I would relate that song to Opeth if I hadn't have known it, although it does make for great atmosphere, which many Opeth songs do. I love Silhouette. It's very relaxing to put the song on repeat a few times and just sit back and relax and let your mind flow. I like -Silhouette- much more then I do -No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep-, it just has a lot more to offer me.