Long Songs

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Does anyone else think it would be interesting if Opeth had a mega long song, like a one track album, like Crimson? It sounds like a shallow idea, but it would be amazing if Opeth could pull it off with an epic peice that feels like a single song.. It would be quite an amazing thing. For some reason, I'm obsessed with bands that have long songs..

I think it would... i think opeth are one of the few bands who would manage to create a one-song- album which doesnt sound too boring or too sticked together (black rose immortal is a good example). it would be an interesting experience, i think...

There are so many shifts and changes in Opeths songs that its sometimes hard to notice when one song ends and the next one starts. Their ability to apply incredible variation and depth to their music means, I'm sure, that a 40 to 50 minute song would come naturally.

But really, if it's only done for the sake of having a 40 to 50 minute song, then that's not the right reason. Sure, it would probably be cool to have such an epic piece, but there would have to be a better reason for it. I mean, take just about any of Opeth's albums - they could just use subtle changes in mood, for example, acoustic sections or sound effects , to connect the tracks (as they have done in the past) and just have one big long song.

But the way I see their work it's like each album is one big piece anyway, if you know what I mean.

Originally posted by TravestyOfMan
There are so many shifts and changes in Opeths songs that its sometimes hard to notice when one song ends and the next one starts. Their ability to apply incredible variation and depth to their music means, I'm sure, that a 40 to 50 minute song would come naturally.

But really, if it's only done for the sake of having a 40 to 50 minute song, then that's not the right reason. Sure, it would probably be cool to have such an epic piece, but there would have to be a better reason for it. I mean, take just about any of Opeth's albums - they could just use subtle changes in mood, for example, acoustic sections or sound effects , to connect the tracks (as they have done in the past) and just have one big long song.

But the way I see their work it's like each album is one big piece anyway, if you know what I mean.

Good points, but that's what I meant, it would be very interesting if they could manage to pull it off, without doing it for they sake of it, or just joining incoherant peices, like black rose immortal.

That was something I liked about BWP, because seeing it wasn't a concept album, they made the songs real full entities, unlike morningrise. But I think it's an interesting. Do members of the band ever browse or interact with these forums?

Sure, it would be cool just for the sake of saying so but if you think about it would it really be that different than say, MAYH or Still Life. Most bands that have created a one song album or even if you think of long songs in general, they're usually divided into different parts. So, what if Opeth had only used one title for all the songs on MAYH or Still Life. It would still be divided into different parts and would essentially be the same thing.

I never know ne names of Opeth tracks if I'm listening cos I don't know where they start or finish. Literaly all Opeth albums are one song to me, I could tell u the album if u played me a song, but I doubt ery much I could tell u the track (with a few exceptions) So i think Opeth could pull it off quite easily

If it's a concept album it doesn't much matter if it's one song or 10...
But yeah the idea would definitely work.
It wouldn't make me more or less happy though (maybe less, because how can I share it with others?)

"Harvest" is the best pop song of the year ! I love it, it's always played in my head !

With this exception, the concept of "song" is rather irrelevant to Opeth. Nothing would change if they did a 50 min. song.

----------------------------------
NP: Septic Flesh - Ophidian Wheel

Does anyone else think it would be interesting if Opeth had a mega long song

What, like a song that went for 10 minutes? :lol:

Dunno about the 'whole album' being one song. that would piss me off, because i couldn't skip to the best bits :D

Yeah i was alwaus hoping Opeth would do an instrumental song. The mix of soft and hard guitar would kick arse (ass lol). Mikael is a bloody good song writer so he COULD do it

The night and the silent water could work as an instrumental, there's fairly much not alot of singing anyway.

Actually, Mikael was planning a 1 song album, until EOS did it (he said something along the lines of 'I'd had the idea for ages, then EOS did it, I was like "Fuck....."'- that's not a direct quote, but that's the guts of it).
Green Carnation are working on a one-track album. (Who's Green Carnation, I hear you ask? Well, I could tell you, but....)

Green Carnation are working on a one-track album. (Who's Green Carnation, I hear you ask? Well, I could tell you, but....)

I know who green carnation is : ))) this band is sooooooo cool...good and experienced musicians.....very good music and beautiful lyrics..... some will say it's not any super band,but i like them quite a lot and at least they are passionate in what they are doing....