opeths next album

cuntface

New Metal Member
Jan 30, 2006
what are your views on what the next opeth album should be like?

i do think that they should do shorter songs, not that i dont love the usual opeth epic but it would be nice to have more songs that are writen differntly. maby 2 long songs and the rest down to about 5 mins maby and maby not follow the usual opeth song structure.(heavy song with soft in the middle) just be a little diffent more inventive. dont doubt that i love opeth song with soft in the middle but almost every opeth song has it.

do not complain in this thread, i know many people seem to only like opeth coz of long songs, fair enough but open ur mind a bit. now lets all get along and have a good convo with out abuse or arguing. l

This is the first time I've thought about that, and I have decided that I'm not going to think about it. I have no expectations. I like concept albums and use of keyboards. Ok...enough thinking.

first off, short songs? fuck no.
although i must say that last album, i felt that they were just making the songs long "because" its the opeth thing to do. TGC is an excellent example of what im saying. TGC goes on and on and on... extremely boring and repetitive after the 7:09 mark. ehhh...

next album i would like to see more experimental songs like on blackwater park, and i would like to see a LOT more brutality (more deliverance-like). dont get me wrong i like atonement and isolation years, but i just feel that GR as an album isnt as heavy as i'd like it.

so... that and i'd like to see more complex guitarwork (like on BWP and SL)

I'd like them to steer away from the warm prog sound and go back to the folk sound of their earlier work (MAYH/Still Life). But that's just a personal preference and I know that they hate to re-visit their old material so I can totally understand why they don't. But that is the style I like best.

now what would be the point of that.

and it does seem that on GR if a song hasnt reached 10 mins , some noise or sound effects will comin and fill the space( beneath the mire) and the grandc just has the same riff going on and on and harlequin forest end is doing the same.

CAIRATH said:
I'd like them to steer away from the warm prog sound and go back to the folk sound of their earlier work (MAYH/Still Life). But that's just a personal preference and I know that they hate to re-visit their old material so I can totally understand why they don't. But that is the style I like best.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think that would be a pretty cool idea!

With that, they could probably make the songs a bit longer, too.

- Folk metal is awesome

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I think it would be cool either with:

- 2 or 3 20+ minute songs

- 1 50+ minute song

I would hate too see them make shorter songs.

- Me
no one in the world except would listen to a 50+ song exept u its not a good idea

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Actually, now that you mention it, I think that would be a pretty cool idea!

With that, they could probably make the songs a bit longer, too.

- Folk metal is awesome
though i hear mike hates it??? dont know tho

I don't think he ever said he hated the folk influences on MAYH/Still Life. He hates the twin guitar harmonies on Orchid and Morningrise. That's not really what I meant. MAYH and Still Life just have a nice folky feel to it with a good mix of acoustics and electric stuff. On recent albums that is pretty much gone and replaced with the warm prog rock type thing which is just not as interesting. But that seems to be where Mike's heart is.

cuntface said:
no one in the world except would listen to a 50+ song exept u its not a good idea
Good joke... tons of people like the 1 song album idea. Maybe not many here, but I know plenty of people that like that stuff. (Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" is about 60 minutes and I've heard some people on here who like it.)

- Word up

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Good joke... tons of people like the 1 song album idea. Maybe not many here, but I know plenty of people that like that stuff. (Green Carnation's "Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness" is about 60 minutes and I've heard some people on here who like it.)

- Word up
its just not realy good

I think that Opeth sometimes make the songs long ebcause they feel they have too. It doesnt have to be a long song to be good. They should make the songs the length that feels natural definatley. I think prime examples of this are 'Demon of the Fall' 'Blackwater Park'. These songs naturally flow very well. Songs like 'The grand Conjuration' and 'Baying of the hounds' ( Although this is my favourite song recently for a couple of months ) I feel the song after the solo is a bit forced. I just feel that some of the songs have an unatural and slightly tainted feel to them. And i thought it couldve been down to the length of them.

CAIRATH said:
agreed

Completely useless question to ask. The next Opeth album will be what Mikael Akerfeldt and the band wants it to be. We fans have zero input on Opeth's creative process, as it should be.

It a lil OT - but I feel the only Opeth song that ever continued for an "unnatural" amount of time is the end of Deliverance... other than that I think every Opeth song ends right when it should...

I would like one long song because its something they havenet done before...

And I REALLY dont want them going back to "the good ol' days" of any previous album - as much as I love them all... I don't want to hear Still Life again - or deliverance - or any other album for that matter...

I want something fresh... an advancement that still screams OPETH... just like GR...I wouldnt mind Opeth pushing further into the GR direction...

zortz said:
Completely useless question to ask. The next Opeth album will be what Mikael Akerfeldt and the band wants it to be. We fans have zero input on Opeth's creative process, as it should be.
Who cares, dumbass? We're asking each other what each of us "wants" in the next album. We don't expect Mike to take our individual advice...