opeths next album

I think a one song album would be killer! Even like a twenty to thirty minute song or something like that. I also agree with the guy who said some sort of piano or keyboard solo (like three plus minutes plus) would be awesome. I think it would be cool to show Per some love.

daz436 said:
I read somewhere that mikael wanted to return to the sound and feel of Still Life while inkeeping with the progression style perfected in reveries.. but I dunno how true this is..

I would like another album like still life personally, its a perfect mix of prog and forest/folk metal, like mixing hearse with morningrise = still life.
yeah that would be good i would want something more like still life than GR but i think if they could change the usual stucture of opeth and still be opeth that would be great in not saying i wouldnt want soft and heavy in a song together coz wouldnt be opeth if they didnt combine the two but if they could do it just differnt it would be good

martyrs_price said:
I think a one song album would be killer! Even like a twenty to thirty minute song or something like that. I also agree with the guy who said some sort of piano or keyboard solo (like three plus minutes plus) would be awesome. I think it would be cool to show Per some love.
yeah that would be cool tho it would make people say i was just copying opeth, and that wodlnt be bad as i intend to do that. is there any recordings of per playing by minself? im sure he wouldnt play the same style as me so would be ok

cuntface said:
lets talk about the next album

i know many people olove the long opeth songs and u think short opeth songs would be gay. but i was listening to the lord of the rings soundtrack (inspired by affinitybands thread) ive had a copy of it for a while and never listened to it properly. i expected the songs to be great epics and thats what i had thought untill i had seen how long the songs wer all around 3 minites but they gave such an epic feel to them if opeth wrote the songs like this they could have short songs that felt long haha well i dont see how they would do that, maby not play riff, after riff. and just be constantly changing like the orchestra on the lotr sound track prob difficult would be intresting to hear a band that did that tho.
NO

martyrs_price said:
NO!
Opeth should continue their way and play death metal with a lot of 70s prog influences. (Mellotrons!) Nothing else.

@cuntface: Go and hear The Mars Volta - they practise your idea and it's great but this sound doesn't work for Opeth.
@marty: One song albums - bad. I'd love it if EoS would re-release Crimson and Green Carnation their LoD,DoD album as a non-one song album. I hate that if I'd like listening to some great solos or good points on the CD and I've to listen to the whole song or search this part.
You can only do one song albums if you don't vary the construction of your song. Jethro Tull did perfect jobs with Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play which kept going on one style. But LOD,DOD would be so much better as a non-one song album 'cause it's slow, then it's heavy, slow again, fast, and so on. There's no consistent structure in that album and same goes for Opeth songs...short: bad idea.

porcupine_wolfff said:
One song albums - bad.
No, they are not, but people usually don't like them either because of:

1. Their short attention spans.

or

2. They can't except the fact that the song should be played as a whole and not be skipped around because that ruins the point of listening to it. You shouldn't be listening to these songs 24/7 anyway.

What about splitting the track into different sections? That way it's still one song, but you won't complain about having to skip to your favorite part. Again, I think it takes the point out of listening to it as a whole, but whatever floats your boat.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB

Tubbs Mcgee said:
No, they are not, but people usually don't like them either because of:

1. Their short attention spans.

or

2. They can't except the fact that the song should be played as a whole and not be skipped around because that ruins the point of listening to it. You shouldn't be listening to these songs 24/7 anyway.

What about splitting the track into different sections? That way it's still one song, but you won't complain about having to skip to your favorite part. Again, I think it takes the point out of listening to it as a whole, but whatever floats your boat.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB

You don't get the point, Tubby.
One song albums are okay if they're sound like one, for example Jethro Tull TAAB. This one floats through the 45 min in one style/structure and it's amazing. BUT, if you play songs like Opeth which have no consistent structure such albums aren't possible. I was disappointed when I heard Crimson the first time. Not because it's bad but 'cause it has no sections. Same goes for LOD,DOD.
I just can't imagine a big one Opeth song over an hour with which I would be satisfied.

maby they could do a heavy song with no death vocals all singing that could be interesting

well, technically, when you think about it theyve never actually played a really heavy song that has ALL clean vocals. i dont consider a fair judgement or face of melinda to be all that heavy. reverie/harlequin forest is the closest imo and it still had the death growl.

whether he was joking or not...the fact still stands theyve yet to do a really hevay song that is clean throughout.

Porcupine Wolff, I just think it would be cool to see Per do a cool part by himself because I haven't seen him get a big part in a song yet,(correct me if I'm wrong), so I think it would be cool to see what the guy can do. I mean, I'm sure he's got some skills; whether it be piano, keyboards, mellotron, whatever.

zortz said:
So pointless, like 90% of the threads on here.
might be a stupid question, but..why post in this thread if you think it's pointless?

of course most forums have significant numbers of useless threads and posts; don't bother reading and responding to a thread if you think it's pointless.

as the the original topic: i think the 1-song idea is pretty much what some of Opeth's concept albums already are. Still Life is like one song with many different movements. a 50+ minute song HAS to be divided up ito several tracks/movements anyway.
Meshuggah had the right idea with Catch 33, in my humble opinion.

no i wasnt joking about all clean vocals in a normal opeth heavy song they dont even have one! with that heavy soft heavy stucture to the song

i think it would be good

^ Well A Fair Judgement has some very distorted parts and the ending is very metal... and yet there are no growls on this one

Well it's a matter of opinion. I think the chorus is kind of heavy-ish and the ending is simply heavy...