Since when has drum replacment/triggers been around?

I think the one who ignited all the sampled drums trend in metal would be FF's Raymond Herrera, quite obviously Demanufacture wasn't the first major metal record with samples, but nonetheless the trend started with it.
+1 they were the first band to make the clicky sound appeal to me ( besides pantera, but at the time ff just sounded so high fidelity)

another good early triggered drum sound is biohazards self titled album. man that album sounds so live, yet tight and clear.

I always thought how sad it is that we need these fckn samples so often to get a great sound nowadays.
Ha ha so its great to hear that there are samples used on the black album too!

You can get a great sound without them, but why limit your arsenal?

There is no shortage of examples of great sounds that didn't require sampling, and it's not inability to get a great sound out of a 'natural' setup that brings about sample use.

Would you tell a cook "I always thought it was sad that you had to add salt to this to make it taste better..." even after being presented with one of the best dishes you've ever tasted? I doubt it.

To paraphrase our host... "We've been cheating since someone developed a tape machine that didn't make noise when it started recording." The first rule is, and SHOULD be, "Do whatever the fuck it takes to sound good."

Jeff

Good Example Jeff.

I think the objetive of a an album production is to make it sound good, so what if you use a "fckn sample" to make it sound good, if however you will proccess it a lot to make it sound good, it´s the same, the drummer is still playing, still hitting the snare, Kick or what ever, without sample, you´ll still compress it, add reverb, Eq. you are adding some "make-up", think as that adding a sample is one of this steps.

Today's music productions are so unlimited that fi you chose you work without samples or anything that you could consider "cheating", you just are out of the league.
How can you just compete with perfect tuned vocals, big fat augmented snares and kick drums? Perfectly lined up drums tracks.....Real drums? No fucking way.
We have tools available and we have to use it, bottom line is the result.
Some people is so elitist about not using samples or tuning vocals, well they suck then

:headbang:

Hmm...

No samples on drums - several Tue Madsen albums (Passenger, Dead Eye, et cetera).
No autotune - new Soilwork, just to name one (like it or not, the vocals win).

You can pull it off without them. The question is whether or not it is necessary.

Either way, some people get off to slamming technology so much you'd think they'd get pissed at Michelangelo for using an eraser. Fuck off already.

Jeff

You can get a great sound without them, but why limit your arsenal?

There is no shortage of examples of great sounds that didn't require sampling, and it's not inability to get a great sound out of a 'natural' setup that brings about sample use.

Good Example Jeff.

I think the objetive of a an album production is to make it sound good, so what if you use a "fckn sample" to make it sound good, if however you will proccess it a lot to make it sound good, it´s the same, the drummer is still playing, still hitting the snare, Kick or what ever, without sample, you´ll still compress it, add reverb, Eq. you are adding some "make-up", think as that adding a sample is one of this steps.

I wrote "how sad it is that we need these fckn samples so often to get a great sound" - did I write always? No.

Guys, I'm not against sampling/replacing and I fully agree with your opinions. But do you really want to tell me that you are not happy when you record a good drummer who hits the snare so fuckin hard and consistent that you don't need any sample?

I am.

That's not what I was saying either. Yeah, some drummers can be consistent and heavy, but at the same time we let our guitarists hide their picking inconsistencies behind distortion (it's funny to see how many guitarists complain about wimpy drummers and then turn around to play their guitar like they're afraid to touch it) and don't feel bad about squishing the hell out of vocalists.

I'd personally rather save the trouble (and avoid the smell) and just program things.

Jeff

i've heard that as well.

IIRC, it's white noise, not a sample as such. I'll see if I can't pull up the quote from Terry Manning (engineer at Compass Point) on ProSoundWeb. But yeah, it's still... "enhanced", as it were.