• I want a cookie

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I noticed something odd about my taste in music : most of the time, the singers I really appreciate are those who tend to not use any kind of vibrato. I find this odd since in guitar playing, I usually like a very strong and manly vibrato.

So, vibrato or not vibrato ?

I want a cookie. :yell:

In all seriousness, I don't prefer one over the other. :)
Good singer's a good singer - with or without vibrato.

I like vibrato in good clean singing outside of metal, or in metal, an 80's style high-pitched hair metal scream could go for some vibrato!

But our vocalist sometimes tries to do it on screaming vocals and it makes me want to rip my ears off my head!!

Vibrato can get very old very quick (specially in power metal) so I guess it's all about being tasteful. Vibrato in guitar should be less fatiguing than in a human voice because human beings are intrinsically picky about vocals.

I think it depends on style. Definitely the dead flat thing is in style right now but that may have to do with the fact that a lot of singers plain can't sing. In general I prefer a subtle vibrato on longer notes. Obviously the operatic-- so wide you can drive a truck through it-- vibrato works well for power metal and more classic stuff.
I do agree with rapucore, that if we're talking about learning, once you can do vibrato you can still sing without it.

Sort of depends on the timbre of the singer. Chris Cornell uses a fair amount of vibrato given the intensity of what he's singing, but it sounds okay because he has a kind of throaty warble. King Diamond, on the other hand, makes me want to fill my ear canals with concrete.

Everything within measures I would say. I like a good vibrato, but in power metal it's almost always too much for me. It should serve a purpose.

I do want that cookie though...

In clean singing, some vibrato on held notes is good. When I myself sing, I do it. I like the way it sounds and it helps me stay on that pitch. In harsh vocals? Mostly, no.

I think it depends on style. Definitely the dead flat thing is in style right now but that may have to do with the fact that a lot of singers plain can't sing.

This. I do believe that most of the time is the lack of technique that keeps singers from doing vibrato.

Personally, I really appreciate a good vibrato on a voice. I don't think any of my favorites singers sing without it.

Out of curiosity, which are some examples of good singers that don't use vibrato?

Vibrato all the things! <insert meme here>

about the not beeing able to do stuff:
I dunno, but for me it feels like it's possible to "mask" the inability to hold a note and stay in tune till the end with some vibrato.
So I wouldn't say it's a lack of technique.
Once you figured out how to do it it's not that hard (at least the kind I like to do).
And I really don't have a very good intonation at all, I'm still all over the place pitch wise.

Definitely the dead flat thing is in style right now but that may have to do with the fact that a lot of singers plain can't sing.

I think this is probably about right - a controlled vibrato is usually the hallmark of someone who has a good handle on their voice and a lot of average singers lack that.

Vibrato of course. The only singer that doesnt use much vibrato for what I remember it´s Christian Älvestam but I am might be wrong and I might never noticed his vibrato.

On the other side there is tom englund of Evergrey, he use it a lot and it´s another level, seriously, it gives much more "soul" to the music, when the singer knows how to use it.

Pro vibrato here. Actually I sometimes ask myself if that non vibrato singing was just "invented" to just make it easier to auto-tune vocals. I remember when Linkin Park were doing this in the beginning I was pretty annoyed, and still am.
I even like the wide vibrato of metal tenors.

No vibrato over a shitty one but there's nothing like a good subtle vibrato coming late on long sustained notes.

Perfection:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYNhfkNGco&feature=kp[/ame]

Pro vibrato here. Actually I sometimes ask myself if that non vibrato singing was just "invented" to just make it easier to auto-tune vocals. I remember when Linkin Park were doing this in the beginning I was pretty annoyed, and still am.
I even like the wide vibrato of metal tenors.
i actually just listened to Linkin Park's Pushing me away and noticed there's tasty subtle vibratos atleast on the longer notes which Chester sings with distortion. Loving them.

But as for the original question. I don't really care as long as it sounds good.

entirely dependent on the technique of the singer as well as the part and feel of the song more than the genre (for me).

its like a lot of other things ... when you do it right, no one should really notice that you've done anything at all

that all being said, I usually dislike any singer who sounds like someone is shaking them by the neck

other singers that not only have great control over how and when they use it but also do it in time to the part are just plain awesome (Michael Kiske anyone?)

This. I do believe that most of the time is the lack of technique that keeps singers from doing vibrato.

Personally, I really appreciate a good vibrato on a voice. I don't think any of my favorites singers sing without it.

Out of curiosity, which are some examples of good singers that don't use vibrato?

Check Dan Tompkins or Ashe Ohara