Singing and Playing? Ugh...

I started doing it with songs off of Demigod, easy riffs, and vocal patterns but still real fun, It took a while but after I got through those songs, it seemed like any song was a fricken breeze. It was like a switch, just getting over the first hill.

I find this hard as well.. sometimes i just try singing patterns on top of guitar parts, and i find myself having trouble with the rhytm... my mind cant do both right now, i think it's all about practice.

I have much respect for people who can do this...

often, if you write your own music, you get stuck in a rut of sticking to certain patterns that you are comfortable playing together, and don`t really improve much. I find writing vocals for riffs when you are not playing them, hen trying to nail it later helps.

it does get easier to learn to sing and play, but you will always need to challenge yourself

It's one of those things that's more natural for some people but not for most. I recommend slowing things down, way down to like 1/4 speed if necessary and writing everything out if you need visual reference. It's a slow process but it works.