Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Processor

Lasse does sneap use something else then the waves ssl lately?
Come on tell us :)

so you clip the converter after the finalizer?
and set you master fader to -0.4 for the last bit of headroom?

i will try that with the fg-x and my metric halo 2882 which has stellar converters.

lately I was clipping the converter before the fg-x

I will try it the other way arround

cheers

yep, I'm using 2 instances of clipping in the finalizer and then am clipping the Apos a bit as well.

Not sure if I'm allowed to share what Sneap and Murphy are doing though, both are/were using the finalizer among other stuff, although Sneap seems to be digging a plugin for mastering lately (instead of the finalizer).
But I don't think a plugin will replace my finalizer anytime soon

I know clipping high end converters is pretty common... unfortunately that's a bit out of my grasp, I think.

It would be interesting to know what plugin Sneap has been liking lately. hadn't heard of that.

Lasse does sneap use something else then the waves ssl lately?
Come on tell us :)

so you clip the converter after the finalizer?
and set you master fader to -0.4 for the last bit of headroom?

i will try that with the fg-x and my metric halo 2882 which has stellar converters.

lately I was clipping the converter before the fg-x

I will try it the other way arround

cheers

you don't need sneaps plugins, you need his ears and skill:)

I'm using ab bit of EQ from the finalizer, then the normalizer on softclip, then comp, the sometimes the limiter, then the final clpping stage on hard clip, then boosting the output into the apogee on hardclip, then like 0.5 dB with a plugin limiter to set the ceiling etc

I don't want FG-X to replace my finalizer, but it'll make my masters a bit louder without taxing the Finalizer, which IMO starts to sound nasty if you push it.

Keeping things conservative on the Finalizer, I just REALLY like what it does for the sound. I sometimes think I use it more for the "color" and positive sound change rather than really for mastering. Using that and then putting FGX at the end, my hope is that it'll be cleaner and less sound changing than what I do now to get my loudness.

I don't want FG-X to replace my finalizer, but it'll make my masters a bit louder without taxing the Finalizer, which IMO starts to sound nasty if you push it.

Keeping things conservative on the Finalizer, I just REALLY like what it does for the sound. I sometimes think I use it more for the "color" and positive sound change rather than really for mastering. Using that and then putting FGX at the end, my hope is that it'll be cleaner and less sound changing than what I do now to get my loudness.

My thoughts exactly

Another comparison. It's really weird because I heard some comparisons between GClip and FGX in this thread and the FG-X fucking killed GClip. Now every single time, in a blind test, GClip wins.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/SplattFGX.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/SplattGClip.mp3

Honestly I think FGX sounds 100000x better here. Listen to how much more detail you can hear in the mix with FGX, whereas the GClip example is just this constant crowded push. Killer mix and song, this makes for a great demo!

Slate and Fabrice have changed the game, I think this is far superior to peak limiting. However, if you're looking for peak limiting, a peak limiter will always sound more like what you are expecting. :Spin:

Honestly I think FGX sounds 100000x better here. Listen to how much more detail you can hear in the mix with FGX, whereas the GClip example is just this constant crowded push. Killer mix and song, this makes for a great demo!

Slate and Fabrice have changed the game, I think this is far superior to peak limiting. However, if you're looking for peak limiting, a peak limiter will always sound more like what you are expecting. :Spin:

+1 I think FGX sounds better in this mix by far. More depth, bit more punch, more 3D for lack of a better term, or less crowded.

//

There's a TINY bit of clipping here and there (I heard a bit at the end of the verse), but this is at -7.5db RMS, much farther than I'd push it normally. That's JUST GClip, no compression, no limiting, nothing else. I'll see if I can post an FG-X version, not sure if I can export with the demo.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Original.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/Slate.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/GClip.mp3

Slate one is retaining the crack of the snare more, but the low-mid punch is gone, and the character has changed from the original. The kick is also a bit weird sounding.

Hmm, you call it low-mid punch, i call it low-mid-mud and cloudiness. But whatever floats your boat.

Just a note, the best setting on most metal to my ears is ITP at default and Dynamic knob right up the middle. No Transient knobs. When I use this setting, I can get most stuff to -8RMS no problem.. With GClip doing that, I get sonic mess. But I'd still use GClip over a typical brickwall limiter.

Form will be PM'd to you today.

I do think you've got to be careful with how you set FGX. But when you've got it right it's much less squashed sounding than using clippers or limiters. The whole mix seems to breathe a bit more. The compressor's really nice too actually, very transparent. A make up gain for the compressor would be nice though for comparison purposes.

One more day on this, we sold out of FG-X licenses (apparently September is the month for mastering) so I'm just waiting on new codes, then I'll send the link to the group buy dicators.