Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Processor

Been keeping an eye on this thread for a few weeks waiting on Slate's offer. I'm definitely in for the group buy.

Just been playing with the demo of this today and I'm liking it very much. Nice loud masters that sound much less flat compared to clipping and limiting. A/B'ing against using T-racks clipper I actually felt FGX sounded louder even when it wasn't. Think I'm gonna have to get some pennies together for the group buy.

Been lurking on this thread since the beginning. Credit card is in hand and I am ready willing and definitely want this nice plugin!

It'll be a great compliment to Trigger. 100% in!

Is just like to register my interest on this thread in case it goes un-noticed on the group buy thread,
Im a owner of SSD and Trigger Platinum obviously have an ilok and would be 100% in if i can get in on the group buy for $149

Since I got my iLok a couple days ago (for Trigger and for the group buy for this), I DL'd the demo and have been giving it a whirl. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, or if the Demo is outdated or something, but I'm doing blind shootouts vs. pure GClip, pushing to 8db RMS, and GClip is winning. FG-X, when you enable 'Dynamic Perception', really brightens the guitars and changes the mix quite a bit. I'm also hearing a lot of distortion in the lowend, and the snare is surviving pretty much the same as in the GClip test, but without the brightened guitars and distorted lowend. I've even tried using Steven's mix (http://www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2MIX.wav), and same issues.

I'm using the following settings (so you can recreate, with the above mix). And GClip is winning. Maybe I'm using the comp wrong? I hate it when I don't get precise numbers for attack and release, and it's so subtle it's hard to tell the difference, even on max settings. Help me out with some settings that'll beat GClip, or I may be pulling out of the group buy.
FG-X.JPG

GClip.JPG

morgan - have you played with ITP fader?

i find with a lot of metal/harder rock stuff you'll need to drop that down to stop the distortion/artefacts with FG-X, unfortunately I tend to prefer the sound of the plugin when its up to when its down but that's where the artefacts tend to come from when i use it.

morgan - have you played with ITP fader?

i find with a lot of metal/harder rock stuff you'll need to drop that down to stop the distortion/artefacts with FG-X, unfortunately I tend to prefer the sound of the plugin when its up to when its down but that's where the artefacts tend to come from when i use it.

ITP up = distortion on the kick, ITP down = snare disappears (worse than with GClip).

In the same boat as Machinated here. I like the sound of the ITP up but it does add a bit of distortion. I found myself keeping it around the halfway mark when I was using FGX.

Have you tried doing anything with the comp off? What were the results then? With a slow attack and slow release, I'd expect the low end to get a little more tubby and uncontrollable, IMO. Having it get a bit muddy or distorted doesn't sound too far off from what I'd think would happen. What happens when you put the attack and release at the mid point of their sweep? I, too, think ITP up too much doesn't sound good, even if the transients are intact...IMO it sounds artificial, for lack of a better word. I like the ITP slider at about the halfway point or just north of the middle.

Have you tried doing anything with the comp off? What were the results then? With a slow attack and slow release, I'd expect the low end to get a little more tubby and uncontrollable, IMO. Having it get a bit muddy or distorted doesn't sound too far off from what I'd think would happen. What happens when you put the attack and release at the mid point of their sweep? I, too, think ITP up too much doesn't sound good, even if the transients are intact...IMO it sounds artificial, for lack of a better word. I like the ITP slider at about the halfway point or just north of the middle.

I'll mess around with it a little more tomorrow, it's too late now. The files and settings I used for Gclip and FG-X are above, if you want to try yourself.