Slate Trigger Layering Samples and Processing

philby82

Jan 13, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys

I just picked up slate trigger platinum to do with my SD2 and MF. I got it all installed and working properly at this stage but after reading a few of the threads here - especially the share your slate kits ones - im not sure exactly what the norm is for layering and processing the samples.

Do you put one sample per instance of trigger so you can eq and process each sample individually, or do you layer several together and then eq and process as a group?

Or does it change from project to project?

Cheers

Phil

I disagree with "the forgotten". Sometimes I process the samples alot to get them fitting in the mix and also to stay away from sounding like everyone else. Like boosting the mids in the snare, high passing the kick etc. Then on the drum buss and other busses associated with the drums I use compression, eq, saturation, reverb etc.

I use drumagog, and never fully replace the drums. I normal have them as a helper kind of track, helping to keep the drums consistent. I will clone the original track, sample replace, make sure all hits are correct, then bounce. After that I will do my post processing to each of the tracks (I normaly only provide samples for snare and kick as toms are normally very easy to get the sound in the ball park if recorded correctly). If I need more than one sample, I will repeat the above process with another sample.

I disagree with "the forgotten". Sometimes I process the samples alot to get them fitting in the mix and also to stay away from sounding like everyone else. Like boosting the mids in the snare, high passing the kick etc. Then on the drum buss and other busses associated with the drums I use compression, eq, saturation, reverb etc.

Are you talking about Steven Slate Drums?

I use drumagog, and never fully replace the drums. I normal have them as a helper kind of track, helping to keep the drums consistent. I will clone the original track, sample replace, make sure all hits are correct, then bounce. After that I will do my post processing to each of the tracks (I normaly only provide samples for snare and kick as toms are normally very easy to get the sound in the ball park if recorded correctly). If I need more than one sample, I will repeat the above process with another sample.

It's normal to process the drums as you said above if you don't replace fully the drums.I do the same with other samples but on SSD I use just a small HP on the kick(talking about Cracky Metal Kit) and maybe small lowmid cut about 360 HZ and some Gclip on kick and on the snare and small amount of compression on the drum buss just for coloring

Yep, talking about his drums. I have triggered a whole drum kit and still have to process the samples to fit in with guitars, bass .............. Still like mixing live drums, but easier and quicker process of getting the right sound. So you never add some reverb, e or buss compression when you have fully sound replaced a kit?

I have plat version:)

FWIW.. I still usually add processing to the drums.. in some cases you don't have to.. but they take well to further eq and compression.. The myth about my drums is that they have a lot of compression.. Not so. There is very minimal compression, but they do have a nice heap of analog eq and tape saturation in some cases.

The trick is to use your ears.. it really depends on the mix and the other mix elements. For the George Lynch stuff I'm mixing, I'm using a bit of Snare5 with the mids cranked to drive more mid crack to the original snare sound.

So all I can recommend is to picture in your brain what you want the drums to sound like, and then do everything you can think of to get them there.

thanks guys, im lovin playin with all the new sounds, and i will have to try and experiment with processing the individual samples where i think they need it too.

Thanks to Slate too, Trigger is easy to use and works great for me so far!

Cheers

Phil