Slate trigger question

diseasedbeing

Nov 23, 2013
If a real drummer sends me his drum tracks (which he's going to) and they're in midi format, how do i go about keeping the REAL feel of the drums with sample replacement. Do the samples have different velocities? Also... how will this sound any different than just using superior drummer, ez drummer, etc if im replacing them. How do i keep the consistent real feel of the drummer but replace./improve his kit sound?

If the drums are midi then you won't be using trigger but rather SSD/Superior/etc. which obviously won't have the same feel as acoustic drums.
Is the drummer only sending midi? Then he's recording e-drums or he's actually not a drummer and just programming midi instead

Oh ok. Yeah he has an electronic kit, so its midi format. I didnt even realize that. Thanks. Or he's a liar yes :) So if i have a drummer send real drums and they're just wav files; do i then use trigger to do half replacements? Like 50/50 of the real drums and samples/ Does this keep the real feel of the drums? How would you go about that?

If the kit is electronic he will sending a midi track. You will need to use something like slate platinum or superior drummer. These programs will host your drum samples that are triggered by the midi track.

If your asking how to make midi feel natural, a few things:

velocities need to resemble how an actual kit would be played, (on a roll my left hand always hits a bit softer than my right)

try not to have the velocity on the kicks 127, I think 124 sounds remarkably better on the sd2.0 avatar kit.

Everything being exactly on the grid can feel stale in certain situations. Try nudging certain hits forward or backwards depending on what feel your going for.

^This.
I'd add to write good parts, creative and realistic (hits are softer when the playing is very fast - very important imo when drums are programmed) and not unplayable stuff like hats and snare still playing their pattern during a fast tom fill :D

If it was electronic then a lot of the work in terms of editing the MIDI to feel realistic will be done, since he actually played the parts. If not, then things might be a little bit more difficult. Focus a lot on the snare and cymbals; those are the most obvious if the drums aren't humanized.