Slayer and the critics

narcisco

Apr 8, 2003
Australia
Visit site
The Metallica critique is an example of a band that has been shit on.
I would argue that Slayer deserves the same sort of criticism for their inept efforts. Of course one difference being ST. Angers production.
Slayer's latest efforts are basically pretty bad. Production is great but what about the songs.
They suck. Slayer what have you become.
And Araya's vocals now are a dirge.

I know that there are Slayer fans out there.
Let us know.

Araya has always sucked... Slayer's solos have always sucked, their music has almost always been boring but I'll give their earlier efforts the respect they deserve and say they really did do alot for the thrash metal scene. Opposed to many people, I actually really like Diabolus in Musica.. there's a really nice groove on the album and the band don't seem to be forcing themselves to be all-out fast and heavy all the time.

Metallica - I like everything from Load backwards. I'm hardly going to hate a band that's made 6 albums that I really like.
Slayer - I like odd songs, but their classic album 'Reign in Blood' doesn't do much for me, and their new stuff is pretty shitty. Raining Blood is a masterpiece though. Slayer aren't bad, they just aren't that good either.

I love Reign in Blood...and I've heard stuff from the other albums and have decided that Reign is pretty much the only one I care about. The vocals are so obnoxious on God Hates Us All...

Reign in Blood...\m/\m/\m/

The rest...meh...

I really like Diabolus In Musica although GHUA lacks something.
The difference between Metallica and Slayer though is that Slayer have always stayed true to their roots while Metallica sell out more with each week.
Touring with Linkin Park for fuck sake?

TakinTheMusicBack said:
The difference between Metallica and Slayer though is that Slayer have always stayed true to their roots while Metallica sell out more with each week.
Don't Slayer tour with Slipknot? That's almost as bad.

TakinTheMusicBack said:

Well as much as I would like to agree with you,seeing as Angel Of Death beats the crap out of Disciple for example in a hundred ways (though Disciple is good once a month too),something has happened to Slayer's music.
Leaving opinions aside,their style has changed A LOT. Alright,a month ago I was the one saying that they haven't changed worth shit,but I do admit now that they have. God Hates Us All is nothing like Reign In Blood,not only in a bad sense. At least the solos are better now,even if still not good.
I don't really see playing a solo on a Sum 41 song and saying that the future of metal lies in Slipknot any better than the production on St. Anger. That's only Kerry though,but so what.

Yeah,so...liking Slipknot for fucks sake? Soloing on a Sum 41 album? Giving the rights to record Raining Blood to Tori Amos just to get a bunch of money (read that from a finnish mag,from the mouth of Kerry surprisingly)? Hey,I'd do it too,but they aren't the same.

I should mention that I was never THAT big on Slayer though,but I do enjoy Reign In Blood,Seasong In The Abyss (will check out South Of Heaven whenever I feel interested) and occasionally even God Hates Us All.

I'm a huge slayer fan.

..but I can't stand there sound on recent albums. Awful! And the songwriting by kErry and Jeff has gone shit. I hate to see my heroes die.

well surely araya's vocals have gone worse but still GHUA has some good tracks on it (bloodline...). i mean slayer are in some way cursed by their early albums. nothing they do will ever be as big as the old stuff. they even get critized for doing bloodline in their set and removing an old classic (at least many ppl argued about it).

so: slayer = amazing live band, deserve respect

The point I'm trying to make is that Metallica have changed their sound and dumbed it down for the sake of jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon.
Slayer's newer records don't match the old ones because the songs aren't as good. It's not through selling out - it's just a fact of life that bands cant keep producing classic records like RIB year after year.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
The point I'm trying to make is that Metallica have changed their sound and dumbed it down for the sake of jumping on the nu-metal bandwagon.

Actually,I think you fail to see that that music that Metallica makes is what Hetfield,Ulrich & Co. want to make,whether it be shit or not. Even St. Anger. I mean,if a lot of bands would've been doing blues-hard rock stuff when the Loads came out,would've you said the same? Whether you liked the Loads or not.

The exact same goes for Slayer. Even if that's the music that they want to make,they've changed and they're just not up to it anymore.
Besides,you clearly said that they've stayed true to their roots,which they haven't.

EDIT: Oh and the Sum 41 remark was just making ridicule of Kerry King. It's not bad for Slayer if they got coverage on MTV though,they just should've gotten it all so much sooner.

Btw,there's this edit button I used now. You could do the same instead of posting twice. ;) I'm not trying to annoy you.