Slayer/Megadeth

I don't have Killing Is My Beeswax or The System Has Failed (almost called it The System Is Down - stupid work terminology creeping into everyday life) but I've been listening to the other stuff a fair bit.

Haven't listened to any Slayer in about three years, keep forgetting to put it on my iPod. Oh well, all their songs sound the same so I should know everything.

Killing Is My Business is great but much rawer than Peace Sells. Some ridiculously fast playing and a cool early 80s underground sorta thrash sound though.

The System Has Failed is one of my fav 'Deth albums. Great songwriting on that one, and features Chris Poland from the first 2 albums, who rocks.

So Far So Good is still my fav though. Love it. 80s thrash at its best.

I only listen to Slayer very sparingly these days. I'm not massively interested in watching them as they have gotten progressively worse the 3 times I have seen them over the years. We'll see what happens.

I could do with an early night. I'll stay for three or four songs, just so I can see I've seen them, unless they're awesome in which case I'll stay.

I doubt they will be, but then, apparently they are playing Reign In Blood in full in Sydney, so it should be interesting. They should do it on the whole tour I say. Oh well.

Listening to each Megadeth album back to back is interesting and has made me notice a few things. The World Needs A Hero has pretty poor production, especially compared to the stuff that came after it. Gutless guitars. Overall a pretty weak album too, despite having some great songs. 1000 Times Goodbye has always been a favourite. It awesome.

I welcomed it as a return to metal for them, but it's nowhere near as good as the last couple.

OK, my review:

The opening band - Double Dragon, I thought it was, but I couldn't make out the singer dude when he said the name of the band - were actually really, really good. I was quite surprised. If I could be bothered I'd check them out.

Megadeth - excellent. I never knew just what a great guitarist Dave is because I didn't realise how many solos he actually played. The man is a legend. Of course, he'd be the first person to tell you that.

They didn't play She-Wolf or A Tout le Monde. :( Did play a few older ones like Wake Up Dead and Devil's Island though. Crowd went off for Symphony and Peace Sells.

Slayer - I told myself that I'd go home after they played War Ensemble. Quite fortuitously this was the second song. Sweet. Their stage set thing is much fancier than Megadeth's, flames and such.

Here's the setlist - spoilerific if you don't want spoilers. Meh. There was one song (guessing it was from Killing Is My Beeswax) that I didn't know.

Set The World Afire
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Devil's Island
Skin O' My Teeth
Head Crusher
In My Darkest Hour
Tornado Of Souls
Sleepwalker
Killing Is My Beeswax song
Symphony Of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars (with Mechanix in the middle - I hadn't heard it before so imagine my delight when they started playing Four Horseman - awesome!)

That's all I can think of.

I think Double Dragon were the support for Soilwork in Melbourne a year or two ago. I don't recall them being very good and the singer was annoying. I wonder if anything has changed.

I actually think Double Dragon are pretty decent. I haven't yet seen them live, but they've done a lot of work in the last few years, played the BDO in Adelaide and opened for tons of bands. They supported Slayer last time too.

I really liked them. They're like one of those newish shouty metal bands but have a real traditional metal sound to them in parts, with harmonies and such. That's assuming they were Double Dragon because as I said before, I couldn't understand him when he said the name of the band. Pretty sure he said they were from Adelaide though.

OK, just saw a video on YouTube. Yep, it's them. Consider me a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the first song there more than the second. The singer's pacing between songs still bugs me though.

Well, I didn't see them last night because it took too long to get inside! BY the time I got in the door, Megadeth had already started. They were fantastic. Broderick is dynamite. Mustaine was on fire. Slayer were Slayer. They sounded abysmal. By "Raining Blood" their sound was better, but that was the last song. Oh well. I got in for free, so I can't complain.