Slayer solos

Originally posted by union9
I'd love to see all you wankers do a better fucking job.

What the hell is it that everytime people criticize a band (or a movie, or a book, or whatever), there's someone who thinks "Do better yourself, if you don't like it." is a valid argument? People don't have to know how to play something to know it sounds bad! I love Slayer, but I too think Kerrys solos are fucking bad. They don't fit the songs and are mainly fast blur of random noise. Yeah, Slayer is a great and legendary band, but does that mean that you can't comment on the aspect that is bad about them? Band doesn't have to "specialize on great solos" to make a decent one.

Originally posted by Voice of God
What the hell is it that everytime people criticize a band (or a movie, or a book, or whatever), there's someone who thinks "Do better yourself, if you don't like it." is a valid argument? People don't have to know how to play something to know it sounds bad! I love Slayer, but I too think Kerrys solos are fucking bad. They don't fit the songs and are mainly fast blur of random noise. Yeah, Slayer is a great and legendary band, but does that mean that you can't comment on the aspect that is bad about them? Band doesn't have to "specialize on great solos" to make a decent one.

Kerry's solo's "don't fit the songs"?? And are mainly "fast blur of random noise"? Well...Allow me to retort. To put it simply. Kerry's "fast blur of random noise" is THE defining fucking Slayer sound. In fact. That sums up what the entire 80's Thrash Bands were all about. Kerry is fucking Slayer. Nearly all the songs that you hold so dear of Slayer's were more than likely created by the man himself. And his "solo's don't fit the songs"??? What the fuck is that about? I love my metal with well written melodic passages as anyone else, but when I buy a fucking Slayer cd, I know I won't be Dissapointed. It has the lot. Well crafted METAL songs seemed with hatred,melody and "fast blur of random noise". Pile together all your Slayer cd's and burn them pall. You don't deserve to own them.

I just hate whining fucking critics who can't back up their mouth with actions. Go fuck your self!

Kerry's solo's "don't fit the songs"?? And are mainly "fast blur of random noise"? Well...Allow me to retort. To put it simply. Kerry's "fast blur of random noise" is THE defining fucking Slayer sound. In fact. That sums up what the entire 80's Thrash Bands were all about. Kerry is fucking Slayer. Nearly all the songs that you hold so dear of Slayer's were more than likely created by the man himself. And his "solo's don't fit the songs"??? What the fuck is that about? I love my metal with well written melodic passages as anyone else, but when I buy a fucking Slayer cd, I know I won't be Dissapointed. It has the lot. Well crafted METAL songs seemed with hatred,melody and "fast blur of random noise". Pile together all your Slayer cd's and burn them pall. You don't deserve to own them.

I just hate whining fucking critics who can't back up their mouth with actions. Go fuck your self!

Go listen to Dark Angel - Darkness Descends and see how solos that make sense are fitted into faster-than-Slayer songs.

Originally posted by dimensionidol
this is why they are great...

i mean i am tired of all melodic neoclassical shit...

hail to kerry king...hail to trey agaztoth...

:lol:

If you think that having melody is bad, I suggest you get help, and fast.

No, you "go fuck yourself". Anyone can make random noise on a guitar.

If Kerry's licks define the Slayer sound, no wonder why they suck.

Slayer? Who have they ever slayed?

I'm glad metal went somewhere, cuz with bands like them, it's hard to believe it did.

Their theme is stupid.

Yeah, they have a good sound, but everything else is bad.

And boring. I used to be a fan. Not because they made me feel empowered by their wickedness, or that "Hell yeah, I hate everybody that trys to be good, too!"

Because I was young and they were new to me. Not anymore.

I listen to good music now.

Originally posted by Kinslayer
In the purely technical sense Slayer solos are brilliant.Where they are lacking in my opinion is that there is not much else to them.They are just about speed.

Dude, are you kidding?

Didn't you realise that there would be some people reading this thread that are musicians and actually knows what brilliant means? Not to be taken in a condescending way, understand, although I must say I wonder. But I guess I should have known better where the title of this thread contain both the word Slayer and solo.

Originally posted by Buzz Fledderjon
Slayer? Who have they ever slayed?

I'm glad metal went somewhere, cuz with bands like them, it's hard to believe it did.

Their theme is stupid.

Yeah, they have a good sound, but everything else is bad.

And boring. I used to be a fan. Not because they made me feel empowered by their wickedness, or that "Hell yeah, I hate everybody that trys to be good, too!"

Because I was young and they were new to me. Not anymore.

I listen to good music now.

Shit man...Yeah...Your right. What was I thinking?? :rolleyes:

I was just mouthing off for the sake of reaction. Got none!

But, yeah I've loved Mr. Bungle for a looong time. Well, long for a 26 yr old I guess. Ten years? 11? something like that.

No, wait. Cali - 99, Disco - 96?95? well, longer than I thought. I got a copy tape of OU818 in 92. No, wait. Yeah that's right. 11yrs.

o_O

Wow. My couz Sara, and her fam lived out off of Innerstate 101 outside Eureka,Cali where they're from. I flew from NC in the seventh grade, and we drove all the way down 101 to Long Beach, then Anaheim(sp) to Disney Land and Sea world.

That brought back some good memories...

Originally posted by Kinslayer
In the purely technical sense Slayer solos are brilliant.Where they are lacking in my opinion is that there is not much else to them.They are just about speed.

LMFAO!!!!! this is a fuckin' classic :lol::lol::lol: No offense, but I Have to agree with MacMoney.

What the fuck are you on!?!?

:lol:

When I said technical I meant purely in terms of notes per second.Playing a solo at a metronome mark of 220 in sixteenth notes is 220/60*4=14.7 notes per second!Even to be able to play almost random notes with all of them sounding at this speeds takes a lot technical skill.They do not just play tremolos either.Much of the time the note is different on each sixteenth beat.Try just playing up and down a scale at this speed to see how difficult it is.

There's nothing wrong with agreeing me... Or is there?

There's nothing wrong, but you always find people that are easily offended.

When I said technical I meant purely in terms of notes per second.Playing a solo at a metronome mark of 220 in sixteenth notes is 220/60*4=14.7 notes per second!Even to be able to play almost random notes with all of them sounding at this speeds takes a lot technical skill.They do not just play tremolos either.Much of the time the note is different on each sixteenth beat.Try just playing up and down a scale at this speed to see how difficult it is.

Your definition of technical is obviously very different than most. Hell I could play a blues scale or minor scale at a tempo of 240 and I wouldn't consider that ''technical'' . To classify a solo as technical you gotta take other aspects into consideration (is it on key? string skipping and of course how hard it is to play) also if you're going to classify a guitarrist as technical, you gotta take into considertation his alternate picking skills, sweeping, tapping, scale variation, riffing ability, legato etc...

I see what you mean though, but I don't agree with your definition of ''technical''.