Metallica solos

milkman

sleepy
Mar 11, 2005
I'm a fan of some of Metallica's stuff but I just can't stand most of their solos. They just don't do anything for me. Anyone else feel the same way?

"Painkiller"
"You've Got Another Thing Coming"
"Cathedral Spires"
"Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
"The Wickerman"
"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
"Murders in the Rue Morgue"
"Caught Somewhere in Time"
"Aces High"

Yeah, Kirk used to do it for me and I learnt pretty much all his solos in the pre-Load era. Now I completely forget them because I don't play them, it was good to get technique and soloing ideas from but other than that, he tends to use the same shapes and patterns over and over again. His bends are also pretty bleh.

Kirk is overrated.

Kirk Hammet use to destroy, I think he has written some of the best and most memorable solos in metal. He is controlled chaos with good sense of melody. He just wrote really great solos especially on MoP and AJFA. They imprint in the mind, it's not just wank. His solo's are little epic songs taking the songs themselves into amazing territories. Not overbearing or anything, he plays his part in the song.

Fade To Black and Trapped Under Ice have amazing solos. But then, I don't know if it's Kirks fault his recent work has been pish - Hetfield and Ulrich have stopped him doing what he wanted on at least one album so fuck knows how many more times they've done it.