Metallica solos

Lars and Bob Rock are the ones that did not let him solo. I highly doubt Kirk is going to do another metallica. Kirk or James will be one of the first members to leave. I give them 1,2 more years.

Kirk is capable of playing amazing solos. His only problem is that he EXTREMELY overuses his wah pedal.. sometimes.

Great Kirk solos: Disposable Heroes, One, Creeping Death (he did play that one.. right?)

But I like Mustaine better. If he would've stayed with the band longer I'm sure he would've come up with solos just as great as Hammet's. :( I love his solo on Ride the Lightning.

dill_the_devil said:
I like that one Metallica solo that Hammett has been slightly reworking for twenty years til he ran out of ways to play it and gave up soloing altogether...

haha. Kirk Hammett solos = hammer ons & pull offs...rakes...bends and the occassional tapping all within the Eminor/Gmajor scales. Also there has to be a wah. THERE HAS TO BE

Rvnning Wild said:
Kirk is capable of playing amazing solos. His only problem is that he EXTREMELY overuses his wah pedal.. sometimes.

Great Kirk solos: Disposable Heroes, One, Creeping Death (he did play that one.. right?)

But I like Mustaine better. If he would've stayed with the band longer I'm sure he would've come up with solos just as great as Hammet's. :( I love his solo on Ride the Lightning.

Mustaine playes the solo on Ride The Lightning?

Yep. I'm positive I remember his name in the guitar credits for that song.

EDIT: Yeeeahp: http://www.encycmet.com/songs/srride.shtml

And it's interesting because that solo is what originated the same climb and bend thing that Hammet's been using for years. If you listen to Ride and Disposable Heroes, there are parts of the solos that are virtually identical.

I fucking love almost every one of Kirk's solos. Some people call me a Metallica sheep, but it's plain and simple, I like just about everything Metallica has done. It's true that the actual notes of many of his solos are similar, but each one has it's own feel.

Dood, I agree with you warheart, these guys need to get their heads outa their assholes. The hate they have for the band carries over to the music when it shouldn't. Kirk is a good guitar player. He is over rated, but he has done some excellent guitar solos, like ride the lightning. I love most of his lead work on my friend misery, the part where its slow and soft and then he goes into a solo harmonized in 4ths, its pretty wicked. Yeah he is a wah whore, yes his abilities have digressed, but fuckg man, this is the guy who tore your face off on hit the lights.

yeah, nice to see that someone agrees with me. People say he's so repetitive, but he really is creative, and he's gone through many different styles. The crazy speed metal on KEA, the plain beautiful sound on RTL and MOP, the technical shit on AJFA, the hard rock style of the Black Album, and the bluesy style of the loads. I dunno about St. Anger, but I know he's still got something in him. He's so overrated by one group, and so underrated by another.

Rvnning Wild said:

He uses the wah pedal alot because he was heavily influenced by Hendrix or so he says in past interviews in the 80's.. (yes im that old lol 33 this year)... as for Mustaine he is nothing but a pentatonic scaler.. Kirk is more of a Modal player or at least in the past he was (especially Ride the Lightning where you can see the differences in his solo from Kill Em All to RTL) because he was a student of Satriani.. and no Mustaine didnt play on the Ride the Lightning album.. he just has some songwriting credits.. those are all Kirk's solos... I really think Kirk would be the first to leave the band.. that band went downhill when Bob Rock took over the producer's chair.. their old producer from Ride the lightning to And Justice for All was the right mix for them.. Flemming Rasmussen is his name ?? ... anyways my favorite solos from Kirk are all on the Ride the Lightning album and some on MOP (Orion especially)....

Listen, I read in an interview with Mustaine feels that Met Lika ripped off his solos, but the reallity is both yes and no. Kirk admitted he used alot of the intros to the solos that mustaine had. I'm not sure if metallica had written ride the lightning with mustaine, Dave may have only written a riff with the band that they liked and they put it in there. If you want to hear what i'm talking about, listen to old met recordings with dave in the band.
The big reason that kirk Uses Wah pedal, aside from coveriing his tracks (lol) is because He a big micheal Shechner fan. That guy was great with the wah.

MetalHeadMarc said:
Listen, I read in an interview with Mustaine feels that Met Lika ripped off his solos, but the reallity is both yes and no. Kirk admitted he used alot of the intros to the solos that mustaine had. I'm not sure if metallica had written ride the lightning with mustaine, Dave may have only written a riff with the band that they liked and they put it in there. If you want to hear what i'm talking about, listen to old met recordings with dave in the band.
The big reason that kirk Uses Wah pedal, aside from coveriing his tracks (lol) is because He a big micheal Shechner fan. That guy was great with the wah.

I take it you mean Michael Schenker from The Michael Schenker Group/UFO/Scorpions... brother of one of the guitarists of the Scorpions? just want to make sure if thats who you mean... i forgot only Ole Michael is the only influence Kirk ever had and is the only guitarist to ever use a Wah pedal.. the nerve of me mentioning that Hendrix used the Wah alot and Kirk has mentioned Hendrix as a major influence in thousands of interviews in magazines in the 80's LOL ... :tickled: and yes all the solos in Metallica has a Mustaine feel especially on Ride the Lightning and MOP where most are based on Modes which Mustaine seems to have no knowledge of modal playing only pentatonic scales.. but then again he only brought Marty Friedman into Megadeth on Rust in Peace so Ole Marty can play all those exotic scale solos and Dave can claim it was his own playing and not Marty LoL ... :loco: