Slip & Edit....

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
So guys I started slip editing all my drums and out of curiosity how long does it take you guys for 1 song( say 4 mins long song)

Ive found it VERY time consuming and its a bitch, but i guess it well worth the time.

I'm using flex time in logic, but used to Slip Edit before Logic 9, its for all intents and purposes the same thing, your still cutting clicking and dragging. Takes me about an hour a track depending on the material and how god awful the drummer was.

Yea dude it took me 2 1/2 hours for one 4 min song :eek:

Pain in the ass, but i got a question... most of the editing when smoothly except for a couple of parts where the OH cut in and out so you hear some "click" from the ride. And yes i did set up the auto fades.... is it because im "slipping" to ahead of the transient?

Also guys in on cubase 5 and do you guys "Disk Cache" bar go up when slipping and then playing back? I get the Disk cache bar to go up after slipping for a bit and the playback stops or sometimes the playback drops and i have to wait till it goes down. any reason why this occurs?

After i slip and bounce selection this stops happening but can be very annoying

Yeah its because you are making a fuckton of edits for each drum hit and the computer cant handle playing back in realtime, either increase your buffer setting, or you'll have to just slip edit one section at a time, then right click >audio > bounce selection I think it is.

And the time it takes to slip edit drums obviously depends on the tempo of the song and how technical the drumming is.

A slow rock song that's 3 min is going to have about 1/3 of the edits of a fast technical metal song that has 3x the drum hits

Our drummer is really good, but using Adam Wathan's slip editing method in Reaper, I did a 9 minute song in about 40 minutes.

Are you familiar to Beat detective?? Just wondering if it is as accurate as BT, because editing with BT is time consuming but the result is awesome.
Im usually end up editing spending anything between 1-3hours per song with BT.

Just curious :)

Are you familiar to Beat detective?? Just wondering if it is as accurate as BT, because editing with BT is time consuming but the result is awesome.
Im usually end up editing spending anything between 1-3hours per song with BT.

Just curious :)

It is at least as accurate as Beat Detective, usually more accurate actually because you have to do every single cut and slip by hand, no relying on automatic transient detection so any time you make a cut, you know it's in the exact right place because you made it yourself.

Beat Detective is just as flexible and can provide the exact same results if you are willing to get dirty with it, but a lot of people are sort of lazy with Beat Detective and don't spend the time and make the effort to make sure it is doing everything 100% accurately. In that respect, slip editing is much more accurate because it's impossible to be lazy ;)

It is at least as accurate as Beat Detective, usually more accurate actually because you have to do every single cut and slip by hand, no relying on automatic transient detection so any time you make a cut, you know it's in the exact right place because you made it yourself.

Beat Detective is just as flexible and can provide the exact same results if you are willing to get dirty with it, but a lot of people are sort of lazy with Beat Detective and don't spend the time and make the effort to make sure it is doing everything 100% accurately. In that respect, slip editing is much more accurate because it's impossible to be lazy ;)

Haha ok.. Well if you would have to move every hit by hand i cant imagine that a song can take 9minutes or so.. Rather like 4 hours for a 5min song.

And that talk about people being lazy.. That is their problem, if you want to be professional you need to be 100% in every stage you are involved with, so that isn't really a problem for me :) . As I said the workflow is a little bit slow in BT but the results are awesome.

Btw im off to the studio, gonna edit some drums today in BT, fun for me right?? haha
Cheers

I can edit drums by hand in cubase wayyy faster than using BT in protools, and the result is usually better.

[UEAK]Clowd;9340427 said:
I can edit drums by hand in cubase wayyy faster than using BT in protools, and the result is usually better.

Ok i belive you but the results i get with BT is stellar (even if it takes some time) no miss-sounds whatsoever

Really? it can quantize a kit accurately based off hi hat, crash, or china hits with virtually zero visible transient? and do it consistently, without always having to reset thresholds?

I could never use beat detective unless it was on super simple and decently well played stuff - with slip editing, I barely even have to actually listen to know what I'm editing half the time; it takes virtually no effort. I can't be arsed to sit through menus and thresholds and hitpoints when I can just cut and drag my way through a song.

Really? it can quantize a kit accurately based off hi hat, crash, or china hits with virtually zero visible transient? and do it consistently, without always having to reset thresholds?

I could never use beat detective unless it was on super simple and decently well played stuff - with slip editing, I barely even have to actually listen to know what I'm editing half the time; it takes virtually no effort. I can't be arsed to sit through menus and thresholds and hitpoints when I can just cut and drag my way through a song.

+10000... This quote from Joey over at GS that I read the other day about sums it all up for me...

joeymusicguy said:
Slice and slip by hand. This is the fastest way to do it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking about pop rock where the kick and snare pattern never changes. In other words, using automatic tools to quantize drums will take you longer than doing it by hand because the computer can't read your mind and won't make proper corrections based on performance. So you spend more time correcting the computer than you do actually correcting the performance.

Beat Detective is great for simpler stuff, but for complex stuff where the playing is poor, it guesses wrong 50% of the time and you spend so much time manually typing in the Trigger Points, and even then, half the time it won't even let you add a new trigger because it's too close to an existing one, or adding one will remove another one, etc. etc. etc. I understand why it does that, it has to, but that's why automatic processes in general are not as good as doing it by hand if you have a fast and efficient way to do it.

Yes i can. There is always some sort of transient or a hit, even when playing on the cymbals, so i dont have any trouble with it. But you need to change the treshhold from time to time but that is the least that bothers me.
'
Slip/edit seems awesome, have to check it out properly when i have the time :) But it wont be in a near future, all i do is work haha

cheers