Slip & Edit....

Yes i can. There is always some sort of transient or a hit, even when playing on the cymbals, so i dont have any trouble with it. But you need to change the treshhold from time to time but that is the least that bothers me.
'
Slip/edit seems awesome, have to check it out properly when i have the time :) But it wont be in a near future, all i do is work haha

cheers

Definitely won't be in the near future - ProTools isn't even capable of it. :lol: Whenever I explain the slip function to a ProTools user, they look at me like I'm crazy for every wanting to slip audio... until I show them, in action, on a track.

Definitely won't be in the near future - ProTools isn't even capable of it. :lol: Whenever I explain the slip function to a ProTools user, they look at me like I'm crazy for every wanting to slip audio... until I show them, in action, on a track.

I meant going over to the "other side" (switch DAW) not doing slip/edit in PT :p

that is probably the right way to convince me :D Show me how it is done!!!

+10000... This quote from Joey over at GS that I read the other day about sums it all up for me...
Beat Detective is great for simpler stuff, but for complex stuff where the playing is poor, it guesses wrong 50% of the time and you spend so much time manually typing in the Trigger Points, and even then, half the time it won't even let you add a new trigger because it's too close to an existing one, or adding one will remove another one, etc. etc. etc. I understand why it does that, it has to, but that's why automatic processes in general are not as good as doing it by hand if you have a fast and efficient way to do it.

50% of the time?? How bad is the drummers you record?? haha, just kidding. For me BT rarely messes things up. I did 3 songs today, metal core in about 3hours.

50% of the time?? How bad is the drummers you record?? haha, just kidding. For me BT rarely messes things up. I did 3 songs today, metal core in about 3hours.

Here's a clip of the last thing I edited in Beat Detective before switching to doing my editing in Reaper...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3616293/drumeditexample.mp3

That's only the first bit of it, the whole track is like that. 5 minutes at 240bpm, almost entirely 16th notes. Took me 9 hours with Beat Detective, 2.5 hours in Reaper.

The problem is when guys are playing that fast and you have the grid division set to 16ths, it is very very easy for something to be closer to the wrong 16th note than it is the right one. It only needs to be out by a couple milliseconds for Beat Detective to guess the wrong place, you need a human being who understands what is supposed to be played to edit it manually because an automated process can't get it right. Editing manually in Pro Tools is waaaay slower than slip editing, so slip editing wins for material like this. If I was working with a tight drummer and everything was primarily 8th notes at 200bpm or less, BD can be really quick. Otherwise, no thanks :/

Kinda OTT, but I just discovered that you can group tracks in cubase the same way you do in PT by selecting the regions, edit menu, and group. For the last two years, I thought the only way was to create a group, move all tracks in the groupe, and cut/fade the group track ( not the tracks).

FUUUUUUUU

+1 to adam and jeff...

whichever method takes longer is dependent entirely on the material.

and a ton of us on this forum regretfully make a lot of our business tracking ... a disappointingly consistent flow of terrible deathcore bands. beat detective is virtually powerless on a sloppily played fast breakdown or blast beat...the shits just all too close together and everything snaps to the wrong spot. a nice pop song played at 120 can have each verse/chorus quantized to quarter notes and then you can go back and BD each fill individually and be done in five minutes. not the case for most of us, it's just constant sloppy fast crap played by some kid that thinks he's good. the time it takes adjusting BD to get the job done proper is usually double what it'd take to just crank through it slipping by hand.
:Smokin:

slip edit is the fastest and best way fuck beat detective i've never had drums thats were beat detected every sound good, and adam, jeff, and juju put out fucking amazing edits

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Beat Detective blows at (read: can't) quantizing cymbals, and is therefore useless to me.

I'm able to quantize the cymbals with BD. Don't understand why you can't....if you notice a cymbal hit you have only to add a "warp" on this hit...that's all.
Actually I'm editing grouping kick and the rest of the kit separately...and with sensitivity at 30% it detect pretty well lot of cymbals hits and if something is not recognized I quantize it by hand with a simple click.
Of course you can't recognize every hit 'cos of the bad transients of some cymbals...but if you can't see the transient in PT, you can't see it in Cubase also.