SLipKnoT Rulz!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syn_Sith_999

Angel of Death
Oct 2, 2001
Venice, ITALY
Just to get your attention here. I have a question for all the Knot-haters. If Slipknot did the following changes: 1) Drop from 9 to 5 piece by releasing Clown, Sid, Chris and Craig 2) Stopped the "Satanic" angle and 3) became more heavy. If all olf these occured, would you ppl change your minds about them? I know that someone out there will mention why not drop the masks as well, but I want to keep something from the current Slipknot just for this. So, what do you ppl think?

I dont mind Slipknot - in fact i quite like SOME songs - at least it is heavy, unlike the other whining shits such as Papa Toast, and those jolly green giant advertisers!!!

If you got rid of Shawn (the clown), then you'd also have to get rid of the masks by default - also the satan angle, the boiler suits, the stage shows, the artwork, the album covers and in fact most of what makes Slipknot what it is - he's the brains behind the visual and live aspects of the band.
Also, getting rid of any member would change the way the songs were written also - every member of Slipknot is involved in the song-writing process.
And I don't think they actually write bad music. I've heard people complain that it's all dropped-D bar chords and all that, but when you come right down to it, Katatonia is reverbed 8th notes, most death metal is palm-muted power chords, most melodic black metal largely consists of single-string riffs played incredibly fast and Metallica's solos are all pentatonic scales with finger-tapping.
You don't have to be stunningly technical to write good music- it just has to be engaging. I find Slipknot's new album an excellent progression from the last.
So to answer the question (in a somewhat meandering, not-really-answering-at-all way), no, I wouldn't start loving them if they did what you said - because they simply wouldn't be Slipknot anymore.

Finally! Someone understands that Slipknot is Slipknot cause of the members. Dill, you kick ass!! Their music is awesome! (Even though I cant stand "torn & Tattered")
HAIL DISSECTION!!!!!!

yea it doesnt need to be technical as hell to be good but still cmon look at them. All their songs are so damn cheap. Here is what their tabs look like.
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Its like the spend 2 seconds writing these riffs

Was that sarcasm Anthony? :)
No, I don't believe any of them are Satanists - they've just started inexplicably involving psuedo Nazi and pseudo-satanist imagery into their image and live shows. Possibly an ill-advised move on Shawn's part (it'll certainly bait the Slipknot haters and those sections of the media with little better to do), but as long as you don't take it seriously, it looks kinda cool.
And thanks, Syn_Sith_999 - I was sceptical of the 'Knot at first, and I got bored with the s/t album after a while, but Iowa rocks.

when it comes right down to it changing the line up would not change a thing. i hate slipknot, because like most "pop" metal bands that have airtime on tv, they are all about image and not music. they hardly know how to plat their instruments and their songs are all pretty much in some key of D because they just want to be loud and low. in order for me to like slipknot they'd have to learn music theory and learn how to write songs that are musical, while also kicking ass. as for other mainstream metal bands such as metallica or slayer, i'd say the same thing. their solos showcase speed and nothing else; no musical knowledge in those heads. just fast repetitve riffs and seizure solos. you can keep your boring, musically illiterate metal bands. beleive me, i don't want them. i want something that's a challenge to listen to, not loud and obnoxious. give me a slipknot that can rival such musicians as spiral architect, opeth, cynic, dream theater, or watchtower and i'll think about throwing twenty bucks at them.

look, i just dont like slipknot because they sound shit. i cant see the difference between them and other pop bands, especially the new song. that is such a pop song its unbelievable, and where did the satanist talk come from? are they meant to be satanic :lol: , bollocks they are. they might be devil worshipers, but i doubt satanic, thats a joke. get your facts right mate.

in the end i dont like em because they are shit compared to bands like opeth and katatonia, slipknot seem to be a band i thik that people like on their first listen. on experience its bands that take awhile to get used to that are better in general.

i hate the fact that people that like slipknot wont give anything else a chance, its all nu-pop or nu-metal or whatver, i found it funny when nu-pop kids said stuff like i love ozzy and hes great etc, but couldnt name one of his songs, and i love black sabbath but couldnt name one of their albums :lol: , they only said that to sound cool and because slipknot were at the ozzfest with them. how dumb those people are. i like stuff because it sounds good, i admit to liking The Fear by Travis, Torn by Nat imbruglia etc. they are good songs, they probably have shit albums but they are good songs, slipknot are just shit.

i tell you what pisses me off, its when people like you talk about limp bizkit being so great and true metal etc. when they dont realise what metal is, i dont mind people liking the bands, but i hate it when they say this band is better than this other band because its sold more records or whatver. you dont give other music a chance unless its in kerrang or MTV.

i hate the fact that people that like slipknot wont give anything else a chance, its all nu-pop or nu-metal or whatver, i found it funny when nu-pop kids said stuff like i love ozzy and hes great etc, but couldnt name one of his songs, and i love black sabbath but couldnt name one of their albums , they only said that to sound cool and because slipknot were at the ozzfest with them

exactly! those people that are like.. Ozzy is the god of metal. He created it. FUCKIN MORONS! the people that created the music i listen to are Venom, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest. shit like that. I have friends that dont even give other music a chance. They just go about listening to their mudvayne and shit. When i say something about a band they just ignore it. fags.

glad to see someone else in the same position as me. i really hate them 12 year old nu-pop metal kids. they do it to upset their parents or something. i just feel sick when i see them. its all image, slipknot being a great example, ''oh we're devil worshipers'' , so fucking what!!! just listen to some decent pop music from the 60, 70, and 80's if your gonna listen to pop!!!

First Off i was a huge slipknot fan in 1998-1999. They were great evil and heavy then i woke up to "real metal". They are not metal ... priest, sabbath, maiden ect .... and even pantera are metal. Now they do it for the metal ... they do it for the music and the fans in general. Slipknot does it to get money ... and to look scary :p Dressing up in gay masks and wearing hitlers wardrobe and pracing around saying they are satins children. Thats just plan stupid! I watched the Left Behind video wow what a comedy that was .... they have a kid that gets picked on alot and scary rain ..... EVIL EVIL. lol I love the fact that it was on MTV also, when they said Fuck society and fuck MTV. Well here they are fucking themselves in the ass like every other Nu-metal band does .....

Posted By: bleedingskeptic

"when it comes right down to it changing the line up would not change a thing. i hate slipknot, because like most "pop" metal bands that have airtime on tv, they are all about image and not music. they hardly know how to plat their instruments and their songs are all pretty much in some key of D because they just want to be loud and low. in order for me to like slipknot they'd have to learn music theory and learn how to write songs that are musical, while also kicking ass. as for other mainstream metal bands such as metallica or slayer, i'd say the same thing. their solos showcase speed and nothing else; no musical knowledge in those heads. just fast repetitve riffs and seizure solos. you can keep your boring, musically illiterate metal bands. beleive me, i don't want them. i want something that's a challenge to listen to, not loud and obnoxious. give me a slipknot that can rival such musicians as spiral architect, opeth, cynic, dream theater, or watchtower and i'll think about throwing twenty bucks at them."

WTF are you saying ..... You come to a metal forum to make fun of slayer and metallica. O My Fucking God ....... What do You listen to to criticize slayer and metallica. Please enlighen me.....

posted by angelofdeath in response to my dissing metallica and slayer:

WTF are you saying ..... You come to a metal forum to make fun of slayer and metallica. O My Fucking God ....... What do You listen to to criticize slayer and metallica. Please enlighen me.....

i already enlightened u if you read my posting. but i'll list em again with and more. i listen to spiral architect, cynic, opeth, dream theater, fates warning, nevermore, old amorphis, therion, aghora, watchtower, death, and atheist to name few. i used to like metallica, but once i had my eyes opened by dream theater i quickly found that metallica and its league of metallica clones were boring. so i set out to find more of these technical and progressive metal bands. as for slayer, they are the slipknot of the 80's. they tried to appear all satanic and dark, but did you know that they are very religious?! i have nothing against death metal, but slayer's songs all sound the same and they are just trying to look dark, just like slipknot. if you want real death metal go buy some atheist or death. if you don't already own these then you can't really say you listen to death metal. so that's how i can make fun of metallica and slayer, because they are overrated and commercialized. and if you want to be enlightened as to what intelligent metal sounds like, then go to spiralarchitect.com and download the song "insect". i just hope you can handle it angelofdeath, because if you like metallica or slayer then spiral architect will give you seizures. slayer....HA! spiral architect can play faster then them anyday.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

i tell you what pisses me off, its when people like you talk about limp bizkit being so great and true metal etc. when they dont realise what metal is, i dont mind people liking the bands, but i hate it when they say this band is better than this other band because its sold more records or whatver. you dont give other music a chance unless its in kerrang or MTV.

'When it comes to tarring, I prefer to choose my brushes carefully' as I believe a Terrorizer magazine journalist once said. It's a maxim you'd do well to follow, my friend Transparent.

Opeth and Katatonia are my two favourite bands. Third fave is My Dying Bride. Fourth and fifth are Nasum and Napalm Death. Care to enlighten me on the last time any of those bands appeared on MTV?

Also, I can't fucking stand Limp Bizkit. Well, more accurately, I can't stand Fred Durst. The other guys in the band are talented, he's not. Korn bore the hell out of me, as do Linkin Park and Disturbed.

Plus, no-one even mentioned record sales in this post, and saying Slipknot fans fdon't give other bands a chance is a sweeping generalisation that is both grossly unfair and inherently elitist in nature.

Be more careful about tarring people with the same brush in future - it might backfire again.

Originally posted by dill_the_devil

'When it comes to tarring, I prefer to choose my brushes carefully' as I believe a Terrorizer magazine journalist once said. It's a maxim you'd do well to follow, my friend Transparent.

Opeth and Katatonia are my two favourite bands. Third fave is My Dying Bride. Fourth and fifth are Nasum and Napalm Death. Care to enlighten me on the last time any of those bands appeared on MTV?

Also, I can't fucking stand Limp Bizkit. Well, more accurately, I can't stand Fred Durst. The other guys in the band are talented, he's not. Korn bore the hell out of me, as do Linkin Park and Disturbed.

Plus, no-one even mentioned record sales in this post, and saying Slipknot fans fdon't give other bands a chance is a sweeping generalisation that is both grossly unfair and inherently elitist in nature.

Be more careful about tarring people with the same brush in future - it might backfire again.

ok read carefully, i meantioned that people say that a band are better because they sold more cds, thats why i mentioned record sales. ok.

now, it doesnt take a genius to understand that there is always and are always exceptions to rules, therefore when stereotyping as i do, i expect people to understand that this doesn't apply to everyone, i mean its common sense, BUT i also expect them to understand that this isn't entire fiction. it does apply to a lot of the ''fans''.

my best friend likes Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn etc. he also likes Katatonia (he says LFDGD is the best album of the year), along with other death/black metal bands etc.

as i said earlier (but some people didnt bother reading, was that i don't mind as long as the person likes the music, at the end of the day thats all that matters)

my friend likes Slipknot and is both praiseful and critical of their stuff. he mentioned to me that Left Behind is one of the only songs on the album that is convinently has no swearing on it, probably/almost deffinately so they can release it and have it played on MTV. its like that D12, they had to change the lyrics of their song purple hills or whatver so that they could release it!!! why the fuck do you release something with different lyrics, if you cant release what you want, then you shouldn't release it at all. the record company cant force a band to change a song so that it can be released!. i find that people say they like a band to fit in with a crowd, rather than for themselves.

there was this girl in school that pretended to like nu-pop so that my friend would notice her etc. she bought the albums and hoodies and in the end they split. now she goes back to listening to Destinys Child etc. :lol: , what a waste of money.

it seems any band can be called nu-metal nowadays, look at that linkin park new song, cant u see that a boyband could sing that? oh hang on a boy band do sing that. i do like a few nu-pop bands, well actually only Deftones i think. but when bands like OPM are classed as nu-pop i just cant see it.

oh and do you know why i think Slipknot fans don't give other bands a chance is. its because if they did i don't think they would be listening to slipknot anymore for a start, and record sales for other bands would go up. and i would actually see slipknot fans at other concerts that arent nu-pop. i havent seen a slipknot fan at the underworld or at any other not korn/linkin park etc concert.

Sadly, most of your comments are quite true of the typical Slipknot fan. However, I don't think you can blame the band for the idiocy of its followers. I see your point about Left Behind (the same logic applied to the release of Wait And Bleed from the s/t album), but that was probably more down to record company politics than anything else. In places, the lyrics on Iowa are as offensive and in-your-face as any nu-metal band have gone so far (and I must question the nu-metal tag also, being as Slipknot are primarily a hardcore/rap crossover now incorporating some death metal and grindcore influences in their songs).
Also, maybe there is a good point to Slipknot attracting so many legions of followers - a number of those people may well go on to discover more underground bands which may have influenced the 'Knot - the intro to People=Shit could kick-start someone into following the grindcore genre, while (515) could well introduce people to the wonderful world of power electronics.
Then maybe you'll see some of the Slipknot fans at more underground gigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.