SLipKnoT Rulz!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as for giving a sensible reason why I like Slipknot - first of all, why should I have to justify my tastes and opinions to you?

can you not avoid the question, just answer it, thats all i ask for, your opinion, why do you like them.
and whats the difference to:
'..get high''
and:
''fuck this world...''
and:
'if im KKK, then your gaygaygay'' (who said he was KKK by the way?)

i just want you to tell me in a few years time that you still like the album, that its still as brilliant as it was now. pop albums dont last, and children grow up. :p

I like them because i do. It's down to personal preference in the same way that I pefer chicken tikka sandwiches to ham salad ones - I can't realistically explain why I do without lending you the use of my taste-buds. The only way I'd explain truly why I like Slipknot's music is by lending you my brain.

I'm not avoiding the issue - I like Slipknot because I find their music enjoyable - you don't like them because you don't. Like I said, I don't want to force you to like Slipknot - I just want you to realise that other peoples opinions are just as valid as yours, whether you agree with them or not.

posted by angelofdeath:

"1st off those are good bands (dream theader, opeth, amorphis, death)

2nd YOU THINK SLAYER IS SLIPKNOT IN THE 80'S!!?!?!?!?! um no comment :p

3rd And Slayer nor slipknot is death metal bud, slayer is punk/trash/metal and slipknot is nu-metal/death metal(gutars)

4th I cant beleive u compaired slayer to slipknot!!!!!"

i know slayer and slipknot aren't death metal, but there are people who go around claiming they are. i said that death, atheist, and the like were REAL death metal bands, as in they Are death metal. that was my point, that slipknot and slayer aren't true death metal. as for me saying that slayer was the slipknot of the 80's, i stand by that. i just think that slayer, metallica, slipknot, pantera, etc. get way to much credit while great bands like spiral architect and cynic get left out of the mix, virtually unheard of through the ears of a mainstream metal listener. and i feel that anyone who likes slayer or metallica would go crazy over cynic or spiral architect, and realize there are more talented musicians out there playing some awesome shit. i don't care what poeple listen to, i just have moved outside the realm of mainstream metal and at times find it repetitve. as for slayer=slipknot i'd have to say slayer is better, but they are caught up in the image thing. their lyrics are ridiculous at times, just trying to offend people and seem dark, like slipknot. that's where they are like slipknot. slayer is better, but i'm still not crazy about them. but slipknot, i think its safe to say, sucks. slayer can at times amuse me with there riffs, but slipknot's riffs suck. there's no way around it, slipknot is watered down nu-metal that proves that this fad of playing downtuned repetive riffs doen't make music. it makes noise. annoying, overrated shit music. at leats slayer could be technical. slipknot just sucks. alright, 'nuff said. if you hold slipknot over ANY AND ALL metal bands than you don't listen to metal. they are the bottom of the barrel. they suck. i know it, u know it, lets move on already. shit is meant to be stepped and and trampled, don't pick it up off the ground and eat it.

ok, moving aside from the original point, how much work do all the members do? ive been told, and ive seen the left behind video and theres this bloke on the decks scrathing away like theres no tomorrow, and then my friend who likes them turned around and said, 'theres no scratching on this song', now i dont think my friend is a good judge at anything really so is it true? is there no scratching on the song? and little on the album. i was also told theres like 2 drummers or something.

I like Slipknot because I find their music enjoyable - you don't like them because you don't.

but what annoys me is when people as bleedingskeptic said, overlook other bands because they aren't on MTV or Kerrang or don't have a bad bot image. my friend gave me a cut out from an old kerrang of his with Opeth over 2 sides of it, and in big letters it said THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD, now obviously thats an oppinion but it does go some way to suggest that they are a good band in some way. but reading the article they didnt sound satanic and oh were bad boys and the picture was just of 4 normal people wearing normal clothes (blue jeans, jacket) and i wonder what effect it would have had if they were in some extreme clothes and talked about Satan. as it is i think everyone that read that/flicked past it never payed any attention to it.

do you not find it annoying when people associate you with those typical 12 year old i wanna get bac at my parents Slipknot fans? (unless you are one) people that like rap, rnb, garage etc. conjure up an image of a Slipknot fan, and if i say i like metal, they say, are they like slipknot bla bla bla.

where do slipknot rank in your list of favourite bands? they used to be my friends favourite band, then i introduced him to other bands that aren't on MTV/Kerrang and dragged him to concerts, he still likes slipknot, but hes realised there are better bands and slipknot aren't one of his favourite bands anymore. pity all record labels cant afford to have smaller bands played on TV.

You know, you're actually the first person on this board to have annoyed me by posting something like this. I suppose you can count that as an achievement, really.

take it easy, this is a debate, we should be getting upset, don't take it too personaly (although you can if you want) , at least your not crying right :p

on a lighter note, if you have REM - Monster put it on now, its been in my reject pile for years, and when losing my religion came on the radio (coming back from Highbury, yes we won 3-1) i came home and put it on. ah the memories :D

Originally posted by _Transparent_
ok, moving aside from the original point, how much work do all the members do? ive been told, and ive seen the left behind video and theres this bloke on the decks scrathing away like theres no tomorrow, and then my friend who likes them turned around and said, 'theres no scratching on this song', now i dont think my friend is a good judge at anything really so is it true? is there no scratching on the song? and little on the album. i was also told theres like 2 drummers or something.

That's admittedly one aspect of the 'knot that does irritate me. There a samples/keyboards guy and a DJ - their presence was unmistakable on the first album, but on Iowa their input is a lot subtler, almost to the point of subliminality. You only really notice their contribution to some songs wearing headphones... also, there's a main drummer (Joey) and two custom percussionists (Shawn and Sid, who basically bang on trash cans). You can hear their parts in songs too, but it's little more than a cosmetic, gimmicky touch.

do you not find it annoying when people associate you with those typical 12 year old i wanna get bac at my parents Slipknot fans? (unless you are one) people that like rap, rnb, garage etc. conjure up an image of a Slipknot fan, and if i say i like metal, they say, are they like slipknot bla bla bla.

Yeah, that does really get on my nerves. I listen to bands like Opeth, Katatonia, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Emperor, Slayer, Impaled Nazarene, Napalm Death, Nasum and loads of other bands far heavier than Slipknot, but as soon as people see me wearing a Slipknot T-shirt they assume I'm a angsty teenage nu-metaller angry at mom and dad for not buying me a car.
Unfortunately, that's the problem when people categorise others in terms of their interests - there's a whole lot more to a person than what they're wearing or listening to at any given moment.

where do slipknot rank in your list of favourite bands? they used to be my friends favourite band, then i introduced him to other bands that aren't on MTV/Kerrang and dragged him to concerts, he still likes slipknot, but hes realised there are better bands and slipknot aren't one of his favourite bands anymore. pity all record labels cant afford to have smaller bands played on TV.

My list of favourite bands is something of a liquid thing, depending on what mood I'm in at the time. Right now, my favourites go like this:

1) Opeth
2) Katatonia
3) Nasum
4) Napalm Death
5) Cannibal Corpse
6) Morbid Angel
7) Dimmu Borgir
8) Rabies Caste
9) Raging Speedhorn
10) Charger
11) Slipknot
12) Tool
13) Eve To Adam
14) System Of A Down
15) Soulfly.

take it easy, this is a debate, we should be getting upset, don't take it too personaly (although you can if you want) , at least your not crying right :p

LOL, yeah, guess so. It just annoys me when I'm lumped in with the other Slipknot-are-cool-because-they-wear-masks-and-beat-each-other-up goons.

on a lighter note, if you have REM - Monster put it on now, its been in my reject pile for years, and when losing my religion came on the radio (coming back from Highbury, yes we won 3-1) i came home and put it on. ah the memories :D

Damn, what an album. Might have to re-figure my favourites list now, you bastard! :)

LOL - if I had more time to spend online, I would - I get just enough time on here to check emails, check the UM Staff forum, check the GMD forum for my threads and see if any moderative actions need taking, set up some more downloads on Audiogalaxy, promote mine, Spacebunni's and Pceptimus's rock night in Wolverhampton and then collapse exhausted into bed. :)
I'll see if I can drop by from time to time though.

Not too badly at all! We managed to get around thirty or forty people in there, which ain't too bad for a first night. A few people from the Kerrang message boards showed up after we advertised on there... no-one from UM though as far as I can tell... I'm disappointed!

Everyone had a great time, and most of the people I talked to between spinning discs said they'd be coming back next week and bringing buddies - greatness is but a step away!

A local band came to check us out as well, Lucys Drowning, and I ended up on the dance floor with the lead singer and the bassist, going completely barmy to Cuckoo For Caca by Faith No More!

We need more extreme metal fans coming to the night though - I couldn't justify playing too much extreme stuff with all the nu-metallers there!

i read trough this thred some time ago, but did not really have timne to reply, but anyways to the point:
i remeber reding that some of u sed that ppl who listens to Slipknot dont give other bands a chance, well i kinda agree, but then again, som of u seem to live by the same thing.. u are just as bad as them if u dont give Slipknot(or other bands) a chance...
i did the same thing, and u may be surprised that there is actully some good bands out there :p

but anyways, i got a friend that listen to Slipknot, korn ect. and i never even gave any of the bands that he listend to a chance(exept the metal bands that i listend to myself), but then he got this other friend of mine into Slipknot, and my second friend gave me a disc(mini-disc) with alot of different bands on(canibal corpse, morbid angel, dream theater, opeth, nervermore ect) and there was this one song on that disc that was really fast and fucking aggressiv!
i asked what it was, and he sed it was Slipknot! i just went: WHAT THE FUCK!??!
'cuz the song was really good! i liked it! the song was (SIC), i think all of u should check it out no mather what u think about Slipknot...

and after that i got more into Slipknot... cant say i like everything, but i got both theyr albums(not kill repeat though), and there is alot of good things in there...

Originally posted by HellSpawn
i read trough this thred some time ago, but did not really have timne to reply, but anyways to the point:
i remeber reding that some of u sed that ppl who listens to Slipknot dont give other bands a chance, well i kinda agree, but then again, som of u seem to live by the same thing.. u are just as bad as them if u dont give Slipknot(or other bands) a chance...
i did the same thing, and u may be surprised that there is actully some good bands out there :p

well i do actually, surprisingly listen to loads of stuff, and do give it all a chance, i've listened to a hell of a lot of nu-metal and i do actually like the Deftones a lot, i saw them in March, and i don't think that much of most of the nu-metal out there. a lot of it is shit and there a lot of one hit wonders amongst them. most if not all the songs ive seen on Kerrang! are total shit in MY OPPINION, and they don't really compare to bands likeOpeth, Katatonia etc. its generally stuff that is repetitive and although people like it at the time, like most pop it grows old and boring very quickly.

but having said that i have a fucking wierd taste in music and like the stupidist bands that i shouldn't really like. anyway lets not divulge into that :) but it seems now that anything can be classed as new metal now and its really stupid.

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
Not too badly at all! We managed to get around thirty or forty people in there, which ain't too bad for a first night. A few people from the Kerrang message boards showed up after we advertised on there... no-one from UM though as far as I can tell... I'm disappointed!

Well......... if you insist on living on the other side of the country...... virtually neway

Everyone had a great time, and most of the people I talked to between spinning discs said they'd be coming back next week and bringing buddies - greatness is but a step away!

What kinda stuff do you play?

well i do actually, surprisingly listen to loads of stuff, and do give it all a chance, i've listened to a hell of a lot of nu-metal and i do actually like the Deftones a lot, i saw them in March, brb
i know that alot of ppl who listen to metal listen to some blues and jazz(i certenly do), but not many listen to the nu-metal genre, it is like it a hush hush amoung the true metal ppl. and well, i dont listen to nu-metal alot myself but there is acctully some good nu-metal bands.

Originally posted by HellSpawn

i know that alot of ppl who listen to metal listen to some blues and jazz(i certenly do), but not many listen to the nu-metal genre, it is like it a hush hush amoung the true metal ppl. and well, i dont listen to nu-metal alot myself but there is acctully some good nu-metal bands.

well i sorta dont really listen to nu-metal, i havent heard any for ages now, since i discovered opeth/katatonia/nile etc. the only time i hear it is at friends houses and parties. i never really liked all these Korn, and whatever, i just stuck to good old rock with Radiohead, pumpkins and stuff. and when i heard good metal i just never looked back, but im not too sure about jazz (i like the jazz stuff on Kid A) but like a bit of classical :D . but to tell you the truth i don't care what it is, but if it sounds good then i listen to it.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

Well......... if you insist on living on the other side of the country...... virtually neway

What kinda stuff do you play?

Very sorry my geographical location is inconvenient to you! :p

We cover all our bases in terms of what we play - Spacebunni spinds the industrial, darkwave, gothic and electronic braindance type stuff (Aphex Twin, Kidney Thieves, NIN, etc.), pceptimus knocks out the nu-metal (Korn, Slipknot, Soulfly, etc.) and I cover the rest of the spectrum - from death metal to grindcore to pop-punk. In one night I managed to play Hatebreed, Nasum, Immortal, Mayhem and then New Found Glory, Less Than Jake and some more stuff.

We'll basically play whatever people request - and towards the end of the night, we may go somewhat surreal - spacebunni ended the night with The Carpenters last time!

i saw that a lot of people were talking about nu-metal, and alot of what was said i agree with. my frined listens to o ton of it and when we're in his car its his choice of music so i'm basically force fed nu-metal. so instead of griping and whining i enjoy it best i can. the thing with nu-metal is that it just gets repetitve. i wouldn't mind some new metal riffs thrown in with a couple time changes and guitar solos and deeper lyrics, but its at least somewhat heavy. one nu-metal/alternative band that i actually really like is tool. its very strange, with all those time signatures and the lyrics are really deep, but i guess you couldn't consider tool an averge alternative metal band, but there pretty good. of course when held up to opeth or death, tool ends up lacking, and that's why i don't go spending money on bands like cold or no one
i know it wouldn't get alot of listens. but when u listen to watchtower, cynic, opeth, atheist, or aghora u always find something new in the music, because there is so much effort and talent put into it that it never goes stale. so to sum up my view on nu-metal: nu-metal=music with a short life span

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
i saw that a lot of people were talking about nu-metal, and alot of what was said i agree with. my frined listens to o ton of it and when we're in his car its his choice of music so i'm basically force fed nu-metal. so instead of griping and whining i enjoy it best i can. the thing with nu-metal is that it just gets repetitve. i wouldn't mind some new metal riffs thrown in with a couple time changes and guitar solos and deeper lyrics, but its at least somewhat heavy. one nu-metal/alternative band that i actually really like is tool. its very strange, with all those time signatures and the lyrics are really deep, but i guess you couldn't consider tool an averge alternative metal band, but there pretty good. of course when held up to opeth or death, tool ends up lacking, and that's why i don't go spending money on bands like cold or no one
i know it wouldn't get alot of listens. but when u listen to watchtower, cynic, opeth, atheist, or aghora u always find something new in the music, because there is so much effort and talent put into it that it never goes stale. so to sum up my view on nu-metal: nu-metal=music with a short life span

hang on a second, are you callingg Tool nu-metal :confused: , i hope not. and the music is repetitive probably because thats what the fans want. its what gets the fans hooked. it has to be a song that is instantly liked on its first listen i think.

I really do seem to be the only person in this world that thinks Slipknot are just OK. Not great, not terrible, just OK.

na, i doubt that, i think someone on this thread already said he likes them a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.