slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
[UEAK]Clowd;7696075 said:
Well look at it this way... say you have a really cool idea that you can't physically play yet. You are a band that only records an album once every two years and you are paying a good penny for the studio time. Do you want to put something inferior down on tape that you can physically do, just because of some old fashioned stubbornness? Or do you want to "cheat" to get your great idea down, and then spend the time after learning the part?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you can get your chops up before you have to play it live.

Not to mention, I think a lot of people here don't even play live anyway. They just want to write songs and give them the justice of a proper sounding recording.

Also, if you are on the other side, producing the band.. a lot of the time you have to use these type of "cheats" in order to stay in the band's budget. Without drum editing or vocal editing or any other sort of editing, it would take a ridiculous amount of time to record and no bands would be able to afford it and you'd be out of business very quickly.

:lol:

Honestly, I think if a band is tight on cash and/or running out of time at the studio and the only option is to use some "magic" to get an idea down...they have no business being in the studio in the first place. At least, not yet. Glenn (OzNimbus) comes to mind, when the band can't play their own shit he tells them to go home and practice, and come back when they can actually play their music.

It's called being prepared. Only an idiot would book time and waste money on a studio if they were unprepared.

~006

Honestly, I think if a band is tight on cash and/or running out of time at the studio and the only option is to use some "magic" to get an idea down...they have no business being in the studio in the first place. At least, not yet.

~006

Maybe, but are you going to tell that to bands that are paying you? It's bad business to turn clients away, their money is green too you know.

Well look at it this way... say you have a really cool idea that you can't physically play yet. You are a band that only records an album once every two years and you are paying a good penny for the studio time. Do you want to put something inferior down on tape that you can physically do, just because of some old fashioned stubbornness? Or do you want to "cheat" to get your great idea down, and then spend the time after learning the part?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you can get your chops up before you have to play it live.

Not to mention, I think a lot of people here don't even play live anyway. They just want to write songs and give them the justice of a proper sounding recording.

Also, if you are on the other side, producing the band.. a lot of the time you have to use these type of "cheats" in order to stay in the band's budget. Without drum editing or vocal editing or any other sort of editing, it would take a ridiculous amount of time to record and no bands would be able to afford it and you'd be out of business very quickly.

i'd bet every dime i own that joey isn't the one who can't play his own riffs...

UEAK: Nah, I'd just sit back and enjoy the humor in it.

Btw, for the record if Joey isn't the one doing it to his own riffs, then my comments about being gay for doing it are directed towards the person who can't play their instrument, and not Joey. Unless it is for his own stuff, then my comments stand, but in a more comical way that he should not get offended by.

Or something.

~006

Copy and paste yeah...I've done it a few times on the current project for the drummer....

But he actually played the shit I'm copying and pasting. At speed. I see the difference there.

Kurtz, I always share the wealth man!

~006

theoretically you could slap elastic time on all your tracks, slow the track down by half, then record the guitar part(no elastic time on that track). Then compress it back up to the tempo you want. Im not sure how good it will sound, but it's one way to do it.

Copy and paste yeah...I've done it a few times on the current project for the drummer....

But he actually played the shit I'm copying and pasting. At speed. I see the difference there.
and what about if you're able to play a riff fast but only 2 times and then you'll get slower. is copy and pasting in this situation gay? then I'm gay :p

i hope you've never used a calculator... because that would make you really GAY!

and i hope you've never quantized ANYTHING, audio or MIDI, because that would make you a BALL LICKER!

and i dearly wish that you've never tuned a vocal track, no matter how slight the correction, because that would make you ANAL RECEPTIVE!

and oh, how i long to know that you've never used a guitar tuner to tune your instrument. REAL MEN use tuning forks.

plugins? CHEATING. USE HARDWARE. ONLY ANALOG. REAL.
punch-ins or recording the song in any other way than all the way through in one take? CHEATING.
using an arpeggiator on a keyboard? CHEATING.
using a compressor because the part wasn't played with the proper dynamics? CHEATING

i can go on and on. using technology to achieve your vision is fucking COOL. fuck anyone who says otherwise. whether or not they can play it doesn't really fucking matter does it? if they can't play it live, then people will hear it. If they don't hear it, then their fans are stupid and deserve to hear shitty music that can't be played. and let them enjoy it, and just don't go to that show. you don't piss all over everybody who doesn't do the same thing you do, do you?

program drums? CHEATING
sample reinforcement/replacement? CHEATING
reamping? CHEATING
impulses? CHEATING

let's face it. modern digital recording is ALL ABOUT CHEATING.

in fact, i'd like to know WHAT IN GODS NAME ABOUT MODERN METAL IS NATURAL AT ALL?

this is fucking evil. and the devil loves to cheat. get with it, where you been man? down at the crossroads?

the best music and musicians make the best SONGS, so FUCK who is doing what just to make something that IMPRESSES for 1 second. it doesn't matter it will never be SUNG by a group of people. hot girls won't rub themselves with lust and shake they bust.

guitar strap? CHEATING! (you should be able to hold that shit)
lighter/matches? CHEATING! (flint and tinder bitches)

writing in the studio gives you the OPPORTUNITY to explore all kinds of shit that you would otherwise be CLOSED OFF from.

i think this just pisses the people off who spent a year of their life practicing sweeping so they'd be abe to do it and now there is a digital way to do it. just like singers who can sing well hate auto tune and you get my drift...

this is modern life. ATM CARDS, FREEWAYS, AIRPLANES. 180bpm metal.

i digress. i've never done this... never needed to. i don't sweep nor do i feel like i need it in a song. but i think it's a cool idea.

and i used to like watching the chipmunks but i guess it was all just a big lie, those weren't their real voices. : ( i thought they were real chipmunks, but they were actually dudes. fuck.

the analytical mind is a clusterfuck of ego and void. think free.

:kickass:

i tell you what's gay, have you ever been in a band where there's one guy (guitarist or bassist) who doesn't own a tuner and never buys one and always thinks/says it's good enough to make you "give me a low E or whatever"?

and then you play and you cringe because you can hear the out of tune fucking guitar and you know it isn't yours.....

fuck THAT shit.

am i the only one disturbed by the highlighted statement? to me that sound like you don't care to much for audio recording. that you want quick results without hard work. i just don't get this attitude of not wanting to learn your instrument and letting tools and tricks to get you to sound like who you're not...cause you get exposed at live shows anyways.

you have the wrong idea. i am really hard working. i put in 2 - 3 extra hours each day getting the results i want.

there's riffs out there that need to be tight and fast, and punchy. humans are capable of writing music that isnt easy to perform. there's nothing wrong with using techniques achieving an ultimate precision.

you can call it lazy, but im going to call it production techniques.

and i've heard dragonforce live, they suck. i could care less about live. im in the studio day in and out, and all i care about is what my shit sounds like.

that shit is not recorded at regular speed man.

i tell you what's gay, have you ever been in a band where there's one guy (guitarist or bassist) who doesn't own a tuner and never buys one and always thinks/says it's good enough to make you "give me a low E or whatever"?

and then you play and you cringe because you can hear the out of tune fucking guitar and you know it isn't yours.....

fuck THAT shit.

haha.
try explaining that string numbers from his boss tu-2 isn't musical information. god, that was fucking gay.

i hope you've never used a calculator... because that would make you really GAY!

and i hope you've never quantized ANYTHING, audio or MIDI, because that would make you a BALL LICKER!

and i dearly wish that you've never tuned a vocal track, no matter how slight the correction, because that would make you ANAL RECEPTIVE!

and oh, how i long to know that you've never used a guitar tuner to tune your instrument. REAL MEN use tuning forks.

plugins? CHEATING. USE HARDWARE. ONLY ANALOG. REAL.
punch-ins or recording the song in any other way than all the way through in one take? CHEATING.
using an arpeggiator on a keyboard? CHEATING.
using a compressor because the part wasn't played with the proper dynamics? CHEATING

i can go on and on. using technology to achieve your vision is fucking COOL. fuck anyone who says otherwise. whether or not they can play it doesn't really fucking matter does it? if they can't play it live, then people will hear it. If they don't hear it, then their fans are stupid and deserve to hear shitty music that can't be played. and let them enjoy it, and just don't go to that show. you don't piss all over everybody who doesn't do the same thing you do, do you?

program drums? CHEATING
sample reinforcement/replacement? CHEATING
reamping? CHEATING
impulses? CHEATING

let's face it. modern digital recording is ALL ABOUT CHEATING.

in fact, i'd like to know WHAT IN GODS NAME ABOUT MODERN METAL IS NATURAL AT ALL?

this is fucking evil. and the devil loves to cheat. get with it, where you been man? down at the crossroads?

the best music and musicians make the best SONGS, so FUCK who is doing what just to make something that IMPRESSES for 1 second. it doesn't matter it will never be SUNG by a group of people. hot girls won't rub themselves with lust and shake they bust.

guitar strap? CHEATING! (you should be able to hold that shit)
lighter/matches? CHEATING! (flint and tinder bitches)

writing in the studio gives you the OPPORTUNITY to explore all kinds of shit that you would otherwise be CLOSED OFF from.

i think this just pisses the people off who spent a year of their life practicing sweeping so they'd be abe to do it and now there is a digital way to do it. just like singers who can sing well hate auto tune and you get my drift...

this is modern life. ATM CARDS, FREEWAYS, AIRPLANES. 180bpm metal.

i digress. i've never done this... never needed to. i don't sweep nor do i feel like i need it in a song. but i think it's a cool idea.

and i used to like watching the chipmunks but i guess it was all just a big lie, those weren't their real voices. : ( i thought they were real chipmunks, but they were actually dudes. fuck.

the analytical mind is a clusterfuck of ego and void. think free.

:kickass:

god damn amen to all of this.

people need to wake up. it fucking pisses me off when all these small time jokes get on here and tell me to spank my client into being a real man. have you fucking heard what's coming out these days? major label recordings, and all metal records have a degree of production editing. this is just another technique.

so get off your high horse! i try not to get heated in conversations like this but i know for a FACT that records are being cheated. do i care? no. why would i give a damn, it sounds sick. who fucking cares.

i want to know how to do it because i dont have 3 years to start a band, and 50 grand to record with suecof, just to find out how these guys are doing it.

i already know how to do it, but im looking for better methods. if you dont like the idea, or think im an idiot for this, get the hell out of my way and go be a small time engineer with your close minded bull shit.

and what about if you're able to play a riff fast but only 2 times and then you'll get slower. is copy and pasting in this situation gay? then I'm gay :p

dude dont think for one second you're gay.

if anything in the song repeats on the guitar tracks, i use the same one wherever it repeats.
thats how the song was written.

now if i'm recording rock, i dont go with that approach. it needs some vibe.

metal is about fucking precision.

UEAK: Nah, I'd just sit back and enjoy the humor in it.

Btw, for the record if Joey isn't the one doing it to his own riffs, then my comments about being gay for doing it are directed towards the person who can't play their instrument, and not Joey. Unless it is for his own stuff, then my comments stand, but in a more comical way that he should not get offended by.

Or something.

~006

its not for my own stuff. when i write music, i follow the law of "write what you can play" religously.

my clients dont, and i could care less. i do whatever it takes to make the riff sound sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.