slow down, guitars....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope you've never used a calculator... because that would make you really GAY!

and i hope you've never quantized ANYTHING, audio or MIDI, because that would make you a BALL LICKER!

and i dearly wish that you've never tuned a vocal track, no matter how slight the correction, because that would make you ANAL RECEPTIVE!

and oh, how i long to know that you've never used a guitar tuner to tune your instrument. REAL MEN use tuning forks.

plugins? CHEATING. USE HARDWARE. ONLY ANALOG. REAL.
punch-ins or recording the song in any other way than all the way through in one take? CHEATING.
using an arpeggiator on a keyboard? CHEATING.
using a compressor because the part wasn't played with the proper dynamics? CHEATING

i can go on and on. using technology to achieve your vision is fucking COOL. fuck anyone who says otherwise. whether or not they can play it doesn't really fucking matter does it? if they can't play it live, then people will hear it. If they don't hear it, then their fans are stupid and deserve to hear shitty music that can't be played. and let them enjoy it, and just don't go to that show. you don't piss all over everybody who doesn't do the same thing you do, do you?

program drums? CHEATING
sample reinforcement/replacement? CHEATING
reamping? CHEATING
impulses? CHEATING

let's face it. modern digital recording is ALL ABOUT CHEATING.

in fact, i'd like to know WHAT IN GODS NAME ABOUT MODERN METAL IS NATURAL AT ALL?

this is fucking evil. and the devil loves to cheat. get with it, where you been man? down at the crossroads?

the best music and musicians make the best SONGS, so FUCK who is doing what just to make something that IMPRESSES for 1 second. it doesn't matter it will never be SUNG by a group of people. hot girls won't rub themselves with lust and shake they bust.

guitar strap? CHEATING! (you should be able to hold that shit)
lighter/matches? CHEATING! (flint and tinder bitches)

writing in the studio gives you the OPPORTUNITY to explore all kinds of shit that you would otherwise be CLOSED OFF from.

i think this just pisses the people off who spent a year of their life practicing sweeping so they'd be abe to do it and now there is a digital way to do it. just like singers who can sing well hate auto tune and you get my drift...

this is modern life. ATM CARDS, FREEWAYS, AIRPLANES. 180bpm metal.

i digress. i've never done this... never needed to. i don't sweep nor do i feel like i need it in a song. but i think it's a cool idea.

and i used to like watching the chipmunks but i guess it was all just a big lie, those weren't their real voices. : ( i thought they were real chipmunks, but they were actually dudes. fuck.

the analytical mind is a clusterfuck of ego and void. think free.

:kickass:

that post really had nothing to do with the fact this guy wants to play something in real time and speed it up later. quantizer a shit drummer is cheating....learn to fucking play that shit.
program drum....not cheating if you dont have a drummer
reamping....not cheating if the original performance is done by a human and in real time....lazy yea....not taking the time to properly mic an amp, or not having the amp you wished you had
impulses.....the same as above
guitar strap....come on....you need one hand to strum and the other to press down the strings to get a note...but i guess you could just hold the guitar with the other hand and strum all open strings and edit the right ones in later:puke:
you say this is modern life..............................................................
maybe because my age this attitude bothers me because i started playing music at age three took music in elementary school when i got to middle school i was in band learning music. got into high school and was in marching band for the four years there, and when i see kids who has no desire to learn this fucking craft, but takes on the attitude that it's ok that i suck....i'll fix it later to make it look like i'm bad ass, that bothers me. but thats just me.

Shit I didn't know anybody did this at all either. I seen Dragonforce live, they seemed to pull it off well enough to me and I'm pretty picky with live performances. Why the hell would anybody wanna do it anyway? It makes the stuff undo-able live if it is done that way.

have you heard a band live? there's a fuck up every couple of seconds.

to the untrained ear it sounds like magic.

that post really had nothing to do with the fact this guy wants to play something in real time and speed it up later. quantizer a shit drummer is cheating....learn to fucking play that shit.
program drum....not cheating if you dont have a drummer
reamping....not cheating if the original performance is done by a human and in real time....lazy yea....not taking the time to properly mic an amp, or not having the amp you wished you had
impulses.....the same as above
guitar strap....come on....you need one hand to strum and the other to press down the strings to get a note...but i guess you could just hold the guitar with the other hand and strum all open strings and edit the right ones in later:puke:
you say this is modern life..............................................................
maybe because my age this attitude bothers me because i started playing music at age three took music in elementary school when i got to middle school i was in band learning music. got into high school and was in marching band for the four years there, and when i see a kids who has no desire to learn this fucking craft, but takes on the attitude that it's ok that i suck....i'll fix it later to make it look like i'm bad ass, that bothers me. but thats just me.

i just want to make it very clear that we're not talking about me playing something and speed it up.

i dont even play guitar once a week, and dont care to. i record the age range of 16 - 28. its kind of a vast range but, within that age range, there are kids on their way to shredding but not fully shred-worthy yet. it takes a few tricks to get everything 110% down to "tape".

i just want to make it very clear that we're not talking about me playing something and speed it up.

i dont even play guitar once a week, and dont care to. i record the age range of 16 - 28. its kind of a vast range but, within that age range, there are kids on their way to shredding but not fully shred-worthy yet. it takes a few tricks to get everything 110% down to "tape".
i understand where you are coming from. what i dont understand is the rush for these guys to record music that they cannot play just as yet....demoing maybe, but to make it seem as if this is how good they are. that bothers me......look, i am no trying to come as i am a better musician than anyone else. i just believe with all my heart that anyone who wants to be a musician can if they practice hard and learn the fundamentals, but to say " i dont have time to do it right cause i want it right now so i'll use technology to make me bad ass" that to me is gay

i understand where you are coming from. what i dont understand is the rush for these guys to record music that they cannot play just as yet....demoing maybe, but to make it seem as if this is how good they are. that bothers me......look, i am no trying to come as i am a better musician than anyone else. i just believe with all my heart that anyone who wants to be a musician can if they practice hard and learn the fundamentals, but to say " i dont have time to do it right cause i want it right now so i'll use technology to make me bad ass" that to me is gay

pfft. in my world, there's band's getting signed everyday who barely perform their record even close. then there's bands who get signed and fucking kick their own song's asses.

thats just the way it works. if you've got hype and the label needs you, you're in. i've been to a show where the label guy was checking it out in the back. a lot of them have no clue about music or audio, they're business men. one particular show there was probably about 5 mess ups because the band was nervous and the label was huge. they got a contract the next day.

sometimes it comes down to, if you write what people like, then nothing else matters.

shit, look at all the drama surrounding pop music and its credibility.

Seriously, everyone complaining better throw out half your fucking music collection. Even most live albums are cut up, re tracked, reamped, and in other ways made awesome by someone who knows what its supposed to sound like.

Ive done this a few times, usually like this:

-Export the section to be worked on with drums only down to a stereo file and import back into the project.
-Move the exported drums to an unused spot on the timeline and change the tempo to the speed you want to track at, usually within 20 bpm or so.
-Stretch the drums to the new tempo. It will sound like shit but be fine for tracking.
-Track the section.
-Copy the parts back to the original spot. Leave everything setup if there are more players to record. Odds are they'll need it too.
-Time compress the section back to the original tempo. Mess with the compression algorithms for the most transparent effect. Always reference the DI track. Usually the setting that sound best for the DI wont sound best for the scratch amp track if you have one.

Rhythm sections with muted parts can sound kind of weird so watch for that, and for some faster lead sections I've had better luck recording single notes and cutting / quantization.

Seriously, everyone complaining better throw out half your fucking music collection. Even most live albums are cut up, re tracked, reamped, and in other ways made awesome by someone who knows what its supposed to sound like.

Ive done this a few times, usually like this:

-Export the section to be worked on with drums only down to a stereo file and import back into the project.
-Move the exported drums to an unused spot on the timeline and change the tempo to the speed you want to track at, usually within 20 bpm or so.
-Stretch the drums to the new tempo. It will sound like shit but be fine for tracking.
-Track the section.
-Copy the parts back to the original spot. Leave everything setup if there are more players to record. Odds are they'll need it too.
-Time compress the section back to the original tempo. Mess with the compression algorithms for the most transparent effect. Always reference the DI track. Usually the setting that sound best for the DI wont sound best for the scratch amp track if you have one.

Rhythm sections with muted parts can sound kind of weird so watch for that, and for some faster lead sections I've had better luck recording single notes and cutting / quantization.

sick, yeah this is what i've been doing in situations where its needed.

thanks for the re-assurance dave. always love your stuff.

I mean I guess if it gets the job done go for it. The only thing I hate about it is that it gives a very lifeless feel to the playing. Starts to make things sound like a midi track or some kind of video game shit.

the more reason to be able to say i did this shit myself

the thing is though, few people in your target audience give a shit how something was produced, or what tricks were used...they just wanna play the track on their ipod, or in their car, and have it kick ass. beyond that, most people just do not care. at all. period.

The only thing I hate about it is that it gives a very lifeless feel to the playing. Starts to make things sound like a midi track or some kind of video game shit.

...while on the topic of dragonforce...

This reminds me of the time when this one guy tried to argue that it's cheating to use double bass.

It's only wrong if you lie about what you did (i.e. saying you didn't pitch correct your voice when you did).

Maybe I should stop feeling so guilty for "cheating". I feel slightly bad for stitching certain tracks together here and there, or using punch ins, as opposed to playing the whole song through. The thing is, there is a very miniscule chance of my stuff ever being played live by anyone, so I almost feel stupid for trying to follow "rules".

kind of on and off subject for NIN fanboys, reznor played the opening to broken (pinion i think ) a couple of steps up and faster and then slowed it down to the pitch we hear it at, said he got the techniqhe from a smiths song. I tried it on an old tascam multitrack cassete unit and it sounded kind of sweet.

kind of on and off subject for NIN fanboys, reznor played the opening to broken (pinion i think ) a couple of steps up and faster and then slowed it down to the pitch we hear it at, said he got the techniqhe from a smiths song. I tried it on an old tascam multitrack cassete unit and it sounded kind of sweet.

yeah, hearing the strings vibrate slower is the effect, its sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.