smoking laws

RockMyMonkey said:
It is the selfishness of the majority of smokers that caused this law to happen. It is that same selfishness that will make sure these kinds of laws are passed all over the world, because no one wants to think of themselves as the selfish ones. So the selfishness based comments like the ones you always see in 'debates' like this will continue to inspire everyone else to kick the smokers outside.

Good comment.

evil miscreant said:
It takes a real man to face lung cancer on purpose:Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokin: :Smokedev: :p
HATE ME!! HATE ME!!

Cool. But when that does happen, don't expect any Doctor or paid Health program to treat you or keep you alive. Certainly not with my hard-earned tax dollars. Kill yourself if you want, but just don't ask for the health care system to help you. :)

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
Cool. But when that does happen, don't expect any Doctor or paid Health program to treat you or keep you alive. Certainly not with my hard-earned tax dollars. Kill yourself if you want, but just don't ask for the health care system to help you. :)

right on brother!!:headbang: Fuck the Smokers!!!!:lol:

The smoking ban has been in place for two weeks now...

AND...I generally like it.

Sad thing is though, many clubs now smell of shit, sweat and slutty girls.

I used to smoke, but I find smoking in unventelated areas still quite disgusting. Now I don't, and I would rather not be around smoke, because it really hurts my lungs. But on the other hand, i still smoke weed occasionally but it does not hurt my lungs at all. Smoking dope has a point, cigs do nothing at all, but feed the addiction. Plus people that smoke have been proven to be less productive becuase they are nicking out.

Smoking is not only a waste of money, but of health and a burden on health care as much as fat people, and those who just don't take care of themselves. It's all just selfishness as far as I'm concerned and people should take responsibility for what they do, and not expect help or even compensation for the illnesses they inflict upon themselves.

Silver Incubus said:
But on the other hand, i still smoke weed occasionally but it does not hurt my lungs at all. Smoking dope has a point.

Exactly!! :kickass: btw love the Colbert image!!

I say if we're gonna ban smoking outdoors (indoors in public places is a completely different issue) we might as well ban cars, industry as a whole, wood burning of all kinds, any foods with carcinogens, etc. Just sounds fucking stupid to me. Lots of things that aren't illegal are very unhealthy in a lot of ways. Nothing, including cigarettes are all good or all bad. I could see that proprietors should have the option of banning smoking on their premises, but I believe that if a private business owner would like to allow smoking on his property, why not? There are too many unhealthy things in this world to protect ourselves from all of them. To each their own.

I swear Chicago has some pretty fucktard laws about smoking.
You can't smoke 15ft within a public place or its a ticket.
You can't smoke in bars ,restaraunts,or bowling alleys anymore...
really wtf is wrong with this city?

The reason I don't smoke....or drink much for that matter.....is that I don't want anything artificial getting in my way. I'm pretty straight-edged, and I can live my life and succed on my own terms. I can rock out and have fun without being attached to smokes or booze. Not everyone can do that. I respect that. But I can, and I choose to live that way.....clear, focused, and in the moment. I don't want an inebriated or clouded perception preventing me from experiencing everything life has to offer. Good, bad, frustrating, stressful, or any other emotion.....I want to feel it fully and completely. I don't want to hide from it. That's weak.

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
Good, bad, frustrating, stressful, or any other emotion.....I want to feel it fully and completely. I don't want to hide from it. That's weak.

totally agree

I don't know why people automatically equate drinking/drugs with running away from problems, hiding from emotions, etc. Neither do I find it fair to assume that anyone who does those things needs them to have a good time, as that just isn't true! Your attitude seems to imply inferiority of people who choose to live their lives differently than you, and that's pretty frustrating.

Demilich said:
I don't know why people automatically equate drinking/drugs with running away from problems, hiding from emotions,etc.

I know many ppl who started to smoke or taking drugs coz they were on the edge. "Oh, he left me, i was so nervous yesterday, I just had to relax, so I've bought some cigarettes"... And she's "relaxing" 5 years already. A lot of examples.

My dad was smoking 40 years... he has stoped a month ago, so now he eats candies all the time.... my candies, dammit... :Smug:

Demilich said:
I don't know why people automatically equate drinking/drugs with running away from problems, hiding from emotions, etc. Neither do I find it fair to assume that anyone who does those things needs them to have a good time, as that just isn't true! Your attitude seems to imply inferiority of people who choose to live their lives differently than you, and that's pretty frustrating.

Then I'll pose the ultimate question:

Why does one drink, smoke or take drugs? What is the desired purpose or goal of these substances.....other than an effective coping tool. To either relieve stress and tension.....or to loosen one's inhibitions. Surely it cannot be for health reasons. One person may smoke or have a drink when they get home from work in order to unwind. Personally.....I go for a quick 20 minute run or bike ride. Those are my coping mechanisms. Each is used.....however.....to get to the same place. We just use different paths.

It's no different than people's inability to go anywhere nowadays without feeling connected with their social network.....and the cell phone and blackberry are prime examples. It's people's fear and insecurity that forces them to stay connected.....because they don't have the social coping skills or belief in themselves to be alone with their thoughts for even one moment. In reality.....these are drugs too. And they're used in the same way. To cope.

BTW.....I do have a cell phone. But I'm simply rasising an issue. And from a personal stance.....I want to feel everyting that life has to offer. And I can handle it head on without dulling the sensation. Life is pretty scary these days. And I don't blame peole for wanting to withdraw. But I choose to take the world head-on. And I can't do that if I don't have my full faculties firing on ten!

I'm not trying to judge or start a war. But I will never allow any substance to enter my body that alters either my physical or mental capabilities. It's not a religious or moral issue. It's just a peronal choice that I've made for myself. And that's where my strength lies.....in my convictions.