Who the f**k makes these laws?

Tully is making sense. Have bars seek SPECIAL PERMISSION from the government or something to get SMOKING LICENSES, much like LICENSES FOR SERVING ALCOHOL; get the health department to examine the place to see that there are adequate spaces for non smokers and that the health of the employees can be ensured to be adequate. Have these places pay extra tax or something; I'm sure they will recoup these losses with extra attendance from smokers. Just COMPLETELY FORBIDDING SMOKING IN EVERY PUBLIC AREA is pretty much FUCKING DUMB

lurch70 said:
however there are quite a few cigar bars in NYC, which somehow have slid by the smoking ban ... so I cannot really complain

I think if smoking is your main buisness, then your exempt? Same with Hookah bars.

Erik said:
Tully is making sense. Have bars seek SPECIAL PERMISSION from the government or something to get SMOKING LICENSES, much like LICENSES FOR SERVING ALCOHOL; get the health department to examine the place to see that there are adequate spaces for non smokers and that the health of the employees can be ensured to be adequate. Have these places pay extra tax or something; I'm sure they will recoup these losses with extra attendance from smokers. Just COMPLETELY FORBIDDING SMOKING IN EVERY PUBLIC AREA is pretty much FUCKING DUMB

Bars CAN decide they wish to allow smoking in NYC; it costs $10,000. There are several - mostly Irish taverns with older, established regular patrons - who do just this.

lurch70 said:
ok, my main problem is that I smoke cigars ... which even at their smallest, take about 20-30 minutes to smoke ... so going outside on the street is rather stupid. Plus cigars are great with some good strong drink.

however there are quite a few cigar bars in NYC, which somehow have slid by the smoking ban ... so I cannot really complain

There were 7 cigar bars who were "grandfathered" and didn't have to follow the ban.

markgugs said:
Bars CAN decide they wish to allow smoking in NYC; it costs $10,000. There are several - mostly Irish taverns with older, established regular patrons - who do just this.

where did you hear this? no way ...

those patrons just light up and the bar does not give a shit ... but there is no "smoking license" in NY

markgugs said:
That's jolly good then, I thought the situation was like in Sweden, because here to my knowledge you CAN'T do that in any way at all

Erik said:
That's jolly good then, I thought the situation was like in Sweden, because here to my knowledge you CAN'T do that in any way at all

I'm pretty sure that is how it is...i've never heard anything like a "smoking licence"

KILL TULLY said:
I'm pretty sure that is how it is...i've never heard anything like a "smoking licence"

you just go around the corner, talk to my uncle Tony "two fingers" Vanetti ... and boom ... the feds are off your ass

lurch70 said:
you just go around the corner, talk to my uncle Tony "two fingers" Vanetti ... and boom ... the feds are off your ass

hahaha, reminds me of walkin' through the fucking north end of boston on the way to class, so awsome. Theres really guys like that when people first move in, like some guy went ot my friend: "hey you stick with me ill show you arond, no one will fuck with you". Pretty much one of the most awsome things ever. He might have just been crazy =P.

lurch70 said:
where did you hear this? no way ...

those patrons just light up and the bar does not give a shit ... but there is no "smoking license" in NY

It's a $10,000 fine for allowing smoking; some bars just pay it up front and say, I'm going to allow my patrons to smoke.

Is it a license? No. Does it amount to the same thing? Yes.

IOfTheStorm said:
Im a 100% fascist when it comes to smoking, and Markgugs said the best thing he ever said in his life.
I dont even want the 0000000000000000000000000.1% of someone else's smoke near me, and i totally demand every smoker to respect that.
That's fine. However, it should be up to the proprietor whether or not to allow smoking. Then, you as a consumer can make your decision whether or not to patronize the establishment. However, the state stepping in and deciding what's best for everyone is never a good thing.

Zod

KILL TULLY said:
Haha, yea, and our bars/clubs close at 1:00am. (In Mass)

I'm lucky I suppose, because Louisville's bars don't close until 4AM. Even then, though, there are some places that'll shut down from 4-5 and then reopen. :tickled:

markgugs said:
It's a $10,000 fine for allowing smoking; some bars just pay it up front and say, I'm going to allow my patrons to smoke.

Is it a license? No. Does it amount to the same thing? Yes.

oh, give me a break ... its not that easy ... I know people that run restaurants ... that fine is probably for one shot deal ... not a get out jail card forever.

from http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/clean_indoor_air_act/restaurants_and_bars.htm

Are there any special circumstances where smoking is permitted?
Yes. Smoking is permitted in restaurants, bars, hotel and motel conference rooms, catering halls, convention halls and other similar establishments ONLY when the enclosed areas are being used for the sole purpose of inviting the public to sample tobacco products and serving food and drink is incidental to such purpose. A business establishment may schedule no more than two days in a calendar year for these events.

What are the penalties?

The enforcement officer for a city or county health department can assess a penalty of up to $1,000 for each violation. In areas where the State Health Department is the enforcement officer, a fine of up to $2,000 may be assessed.

General Zod said:
That's fine. However, it should be up to the proprietor whether or not to allow smoking. Then, you as a consumer can make your decision whether or not to patronize the establishment. However, the state stepping in and deciding what's best for everyone is never a good thing.

Zod

:lol:

Zod, you're about 100 posts behind in this debate.

@lurch: I know people who own bars too, and this is info from my ex, who was a liquor salesperson/sommelier. It might be a monthly fine, now that I think about it. :cool:

Tully: when my uncle Al from Melrose was gonna marry his Italian girlfriend Rita, her three brothers "visited" him and told him what would happen if he ever did her wrong. :)

Here's the basic thing: If the govt really wanted to cut back on smoking, they'd stop tobacco subsidies for tobacco farmers.

I'm a former smoker but to tell the truth, a little smoke smells good sometimes. I'm not one of those frothing at the mouth converts. But it frosts my ass when coworkers go outside every half an hour and waste ten minutes jack-jawing. It means the rest of us have to cover their phones and handling their customers while they're basically loafing.