The scotch thread.

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
This is where we discuss scotch, the finest of all hard alcohols. Then someone will bring up Hammers of Misfortune, then someone will get drunk and tell us how drunk they are in this thread, then someone will show someone else's boobs, then 6 months later someone will begin talking about scotch once again.

There are few things better than sitting down to a nice book or perhaps CD with a fine scotch on the rocks. Smoking optional, but a good cigar helps.

2195.jpg

This is the best scotch I've had, and am considering getting a bottle of the 21 year for myself, but since it's twice the price of the 18 year, I'm not sure I can justify it. Other than this, Balvenie is extremely good, and Johnnie Walker is way overrated (no, I haven't tried the blue label yet, I want to, but I'm not paying near $200 for a bottle of booze o_O ).

I've never been a fan of scotch. I've tried both the blended and the single malts, but have never enjoyed any of it. Many of my friends are fond of Lagavulin, but to me, it tastes like iodine.

As for the finest of all hard alchohols, that title belongs to bourbon. And no, I'm not talking about JD, which isn't bourbon. I'm talking about the good stuff like Woodford Reserve or Basil Haydens.

If you enjoy scotch, and you've never tried Woodford Reserve, I'd highly recommend trying. I've converted a number of scotch drinkers with it.

And for the record, a good cigar helps anything.:Spin:

Zod

I've had my eye on Woodford Reserve for some time, I'll try one of those sampler bottles soon enough. I like bourbon, just not nearly as much as scotch. Knob Creek is pretty good stuff, and I once had a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed that was awesome.

I'm too old to get fucked up on this stuff anymore, but a dram or two will do me up right.

One Inch Man said:
I've had my eye on Woodford Reserve for some time, I'll try one of those sampler bottles soon enough. I like bourbon, just not nearly as much as scotch. Knob Creek is pretty good stuff, and I once had a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed that was awesome.
If you like Knob Creek, you're gonna love Woodford (unless you're one of these people who WANT your bourbon to ahve a real big bite to it). Woodford is so smooth and smoky, which is want so many scotch drinkers tend to drift towards it. When and if you try it, let me know what you think.

By the way, what are some of your favorite cigars?

Zod

I actually dislike the bite, so that definitely sounds good to me. With that Rare Breed I let the ice melt halfway before drinking it, stuff is something like 108.4 proof and pretty harsh.

I'm not a cigar expert by any means, but I always have good luck with Fuente naturals. Any suggestions?

Woodford is only 80 proof, so as I said, it's nice and smooth.

If you prefer Fuentes, you probably prefer the mild Domincan cigars. Fuentes are among the finest in this group. If you want to try so other mild smokes, I suggest the following:

AVO - their basic line, in natural. I prefer the No. 2s.
Ashton - most anything in their line is good. They're made by the Fuente family. I prefer the VSG line, but they are harder to come by, and prcier.
Don Diego - a good, mild, somewhat inexpensive Domincan cigar.

Zod

Cool, I'll have to try one of those next time I go the cigar lounge.

I want to get one of these bottles in a few weeks:

57049.jpg
31652.jpg

But I might just settle for some of this:

20007.jpg

WOO YEAH!!! $15 for 1.75L, that's how you KNOW it's good stuff! :loco:

Glenlivet is a great potent scotch, but a little harsh for my tastes.

Try some Booker's ... 126% and smooth ... one on the rocks with a cigar and you are in paradise.

Woodford's ... need to try this. bought a bottle for a client a few months ago and he liked it.

yeah I love scotch and bourbon, but shit, I dont have the money to be buying the expensive stuff. I have tried most of the major expensive scotch's, and I have to say, I like Langavulin- or however one spells it- the best. As for cheap blended sctoch I can afford a bottle of, I prefer J and B, and Johnny Walker Red. Bourbon, I love Makers Mark, but would love to try one of those high quality bourbon's-- I can get them for alot cheaper, since Kentucky is a 10 minute drive across the river.

Oh Im a big fan of Irish whiskey, its a cross betwen scotch and bourbon. It goes down much easier than scotch, but with most of the flavor. Bushmills Black is some good shit.

Tequila- if anyone likes it, my friend gave me a bottle of Centenario- as he hates tequila and didnt know it was a expensive bottle- well it is some seriously good shit, better than cabo wabo if you ask me.

Favorite Vodka's? I like Stoli.

I always have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year in my kitchen, it's only $20 a bottle. The pricey stuff I usually let someone else buy for me as a gift. :D

I love good tequila, which pretty much consists of Patron and Don Julio from what I've tried. Cabo Wabo I've heard is incredible, and I'll keep an eye out for Centenario this summer.

Not a huge fan of Irish whiskey, I much prefer Scotch. Bushmill's black is pretty good though.

Vodka I love Belvedere and this one Polish rye kind I always forget the name of. Haven't had vodka in a long time though, I have a hard time drinking less than half a bottle once I get going on that stuff. Oh wait, I had some Skyy on the last flight I took. That shit sucks.

lurch70 said:
Try some Booker's ... 126% and smooth ... one on the rocks with a cigar and you are in paradise.

It's smooth for 126 proof, but it's got a real strong bite. It would be impossible for anything that was 126 proof not to be.

Booker's, Baker's, Basil Hayden's and Knob Creek are all made by Jim Bean. All are excellent, which is odd, because Jim Bean, even the black label, is swill.

lurch70 said:
Woodford's ... need to try this. bought a bottle for a client a few months ago and he liked it.

I always have a bottle in the house. Great stuff.

Zod

How convenient, I have to go liquor shopping tonight to finalize Christmas gifts, probably pick something up for myself. 126 proof is pretty strong, jeez. I've had Bacardi 151 a few times and don't care to repeat that uhh, a third time.

That's weird with the Jim Beam, because yeah that stuff is terrible. Worked great when I was 15 and wanted whiskey though.

Jim Beam Black is decent. Jack Daniels is swill.

You mean Wodka Wyjbrowa? I think that is the spelling. Its the national drink of Poland. I love that shit, it has alot of kick. I hate the American top end vodkas like SKyy.

speed said:
Bourbon, I love Makers Mark, but would love to try one of those high quality bourbon's-- I can get them for alot cheaper, since Kentucky is a 10 minute drive across the river.

Woodford Reserve isn't that expensive. I can get it as cheap as $26 in NJ, which isn't much more than the Maker's Mark.

speed said:
Tequila- if anyone likes it, my friend gave me a bottle of Centenario- as he hates tequila and didnt know it was a expensive bottle- well it is some seriously good shit, better than cabo wabo if you ask me.

Hell yes. The Centenario Anejo is the best tequila I've ever had. Unfortunately, most people have no idea what real tequilla is supposed to taste like, as their under the impression that Quervo Gold is top shelf.

speed said:
Favorite Vodka's? I like Stoli.

Hard to beat Grey Goose if you ask me. Stoli or Kettle One is a real good second choice.

Zod

speed said:
Jim Beam Black is decent. Jack Daniels is swill.

The regular blend is swill, the black label doesn't qualify as swill, but I don't care for it. Just gave the remainder of a bottle I bought to a friend who enjoys it.

JD isn't bourbon, so it's unfair to compare it against bourbon.

Zod

Jim Beam > Jack Daniels, yes.

No, it's something with a K. I talked about it on this forum just a few weeks ago, lemme search. Ah, found it. Krolewska. Excellent stuff.
General Zod said:
Unfortunately, most people have no idea what real tequilla is supposed to taste like, as their under the impression that Quervo Gold is top shelf.
True, and that stuff is terrible. 1800 is okay, but there is much better.

Yeah Wodka Wyjbrowa is sort of like the Jim Beam or Daniels of Poland. But it is so harsh I like it.

Im a bit partial to Beam, as they distill it in Cincy, then send it to Kentucky to age. The big factory is right off I75, most nights you can smell liqour for miles away. But a former girlfriends dad was a foreman there, which meant alot of cheap booze, and then the bitch ran off to some rich frat boy.

Woodford Reserve hey. SOunds good. I hear some bourbon called Rip van winkles or something is supposed to be excellent. And they had a article in the local paper this week with the guy that distills Wild Turkey's select-- and a few other high end bourbons.

As far as scotch goes, I pretty much only drink J. Walker Black. Not because it's the best, but because it's decent quality for a decent single malt.

I live in Kentucky, so I drink a lot of bourbon. On the rocks or w/ a splash of water. Usually it's Makers Mark. Again, for the money I don't think there is a finer bourbon made. I'll drink some Knob Creek or more often Woodford Reserve sometimes, but mostly stick w/ Makers.

I always have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year in my kitchen, it's only $20 a bottle.

$20 a bottle ... WTF? .. here the cheapest I can find is around $36

will have to get a bottle of Woodford's for the holidays !!!

Dude, I would say go to bevmo.com, but they don't ship spirits outside of California, sorry. :( I get Glenlivet 12 year for about $22, French Oak 12 year for $32, 18 year for $41, and then the mother 21 year for $90 (haven't had this yet).

Went to the Bevmo store tonight, got a bottle of Centenario Añejo for my boss's going away / Xmas present, a bottle of Woodford Reserve for myself, and I smoked an AVO #1 along with some Glenlivet 12 year French Oak which was SPECTACULAR. The AVO was okay, definitely worth the $2.99 mismarked price tag though. :D