The caffeine thread

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
This is where we discuss caffeine, the finest of all legal stimulants. Then someone will bring up Ulver, then someone will get a caffeine high and tell us how jittery they are in this thread, then someone will show someone else's boobs, then 6 months later someone will begin talking about caffeine once again.

I'm currently trying to cut down on caffeine a bit, as over the last month of term I was drinking a fair amount of coffee to feel vaguely alive. It really is wonderous stuff, but having read up on it's negative effects on the net I'm thinking I should try and have a caffeine free christmas, before the exams and next term starts :p

So, does anyone else here have any strong feelings about caffeine one way or the other. I'm also interested to hear from JK; when you moved to the US did the amount of caffeine you drank increase greatly? As the times I've been over there I've found it impossible to avoid the stuff :wave:

P.S. NAD, I stole your thread.
P.P.S.I know you're not called NAD anymore, but WTF is One Inch Man supposed to be?
P.P.P.S.It's actually a cool username
P.P.P.P.S.I lied, but it's still more original than mine, so kudos...

Russell said:
This is where we discuss caffeine, the finest of all legal stimulants. Then someone will bring up Ulver, then someone will get a caffeine high and tell us how jittery they are in this thread, then someone will show someone else's boobs, then 6 months later someone will begin talking about caffeine once again.
:tickled:

Nate has spoken more truth than I've ever seen, except for my ex-girlfriend called my thing a "big winky." :loco: I would start with ...And the Circus Leaves Town or Welcome to Sky Valley, I can't pick which is my favorite Kyuss of the two. My username and avatar are both direct Kyuss references HOLY BALLS DID THEY EVER RULE.

I did a big research project on caffeine in college, what I found was that unless you drink 14 cups a day (exact figure) the health effects are minimal. This was also about 5 years ago so who knows what has been uncovered since. There is a withdrawal effect for regular users though.

I love coffee and caffeine, but probably only drink the stuff twice a week or so. I don't need that coffee buzz for work, I only drink it at night to read or when going for a lengthy mountain drive.

Was listening to Angel Dust a little while ago, yes that song (and entire album) kick an unbelievable amount of ass.

Looks like Russell was wrong, Faith No More came up before Ulver. :loco:

Downloading right now, looks like it'll take awhile. I'll bump that one thread (or this one, whatever) sometime tomorrow.

One Inch Man said:
I did a big research project on caffeine in college, what I found was that unless you drink 14 cups a day (exact figure) the health effects are minimal. This was also about 5 years ago so who knows what has been uncovered since. There is a withdrawal effect for regular users though.

Withdrawl effect normally occurs for those that drink above 4 cups a day, and is a sign of addiction, apparently. If you drink over 60 cups caffeine is toxic! :cool:

One Inch Man said:
Was listening to Angel Dust a little while ago, yes that song (and entire album) kick an unbelievable amount of ass.

Looks like Russell was wrong, Faith No More came up before Ulver. :loco:

Looks like you're wrong too, Kyuss came up first :p Now go download DCD, great band.. Along with most early 4AD stuff!

I am a caffeine addict. I suppose I drink at least 4-5 cups of coffee a day. Even worse, I have a espresso maker. I drink a double espresso before each workout. If I dont drink coffee I experience withdrawal. Of course, I havent even been in this situation for months. its a wonderful drug. Really coffee is my favorite drink, even more so than beer, if that is possible.

As for the health effects, Both sets of my grandparents drink coffee all day long; in fact most of the old people I know, drink coffee for breakfast lunch dinner, and in between. My grandfather would drink a few pots of coffee a day, and he died when he was 87, with no problems related to coffee.

Russell said:
I'm also interested to hear from JK; when you moved to the US did the amount of caffeine you drank increase greatly? As the times I've been over there I've found it impossible to avoid the stuff ..
It increased by 100%. I never used to drink/require caffeine living in London whatsoever. And then I came to the US where people START working at 8am!!!! So I tried coffee for a while to give me that boost, and eventually it started to work well for me.

I'm not a huge caffeine drinker - I only really need one big cup a day, in the morning.

And yes, I fully admit, I LOVE Starbucks. I know, I know, it is the franchise devil to all those smaller coffee houses, but guess what - I don't want to drive any further to get the much required hit at 7:30am when there's a SB round the corner that can give me a nice Grande Soy Latte.

(I only recently got into Soy milk after I found out I had high cholestrol - I thought the idea of it was gross, and then I tasted it, and I couldn't believe how good it was. I never liked milk anyway, so this is a great alternative. Cholestrol free too!)

Cream and sugar, the only way to go. Usually about two cups a day... Kinda curious as to what i am doing to my system as I usually am smoking some ganja at some point during my caffeine buzz.

Some have told me that's the poor man's "speedball."

Not sure I like the idea of that too much... hopefully my heart won't decide to say fuck you.

Russell said:
Looks like you're wrong too, Kyuss came up first :p
Ha! It's because discussing Kyuss is so natural to me I don't even consider it a sway in the conversation. :D

Still d/l that DCD track... so close now!

Papa Josh said:
Cream and sugar, the only way to go. Usually about two cups a day... Kinda curious as to what i am doing to my system as I usually am smoking some ganja at some point during my caffeine buzz.

Some have told me that's the poor man's "speedball."

Not sure I like the idea of that too much... hopefully my heart won't decide to say fuck you.
nah, i do it every morning. we'll be fine.

IOfTheStorm said:
Did you download "Xavier" of Dead Can Dance? do it now
This is really really good. Is this typical for them, as in if I bought an album would it all be this bonerific?

speed said:
As for the health effects, Both sets of my grandparents drink coffee all day long; in fact most of the old people I know, drink coffee for breakfast lunch dinner, and in between. My grandfather would drink a few pots of coffee a day, and he died when he was 87, with no problems related to coffee.

The only thing that bugged me about the health effects are the fact that according to studies your verbal reasoning and complex problem solving skills become less effective when on caffeine :) Most people were less sure about long term effects. Anywho, I'm off for a coffee :loco: