Who the f**k makes these laws?

markgugs said:
It's got nothing to do with the people who are customers; it has everything to do with the employees who work there and their right to work in a smoke-free environment. Before you say "well, go work someplace else," many people simply don't have that option.

That doesn't change the fact its still the owners place, and so though it really sucks for employees that don't want to be around smoke, that really shouldn't be a factor, sorry to say.

I gotta agree that it's pretty dumb. Do shit like tax reliefs for establishments that don't allow smoking and other things to encourage smoke free environments, sure, but to completely forbid it everywhere isn't very reasonable. I don't even smoke, but yeah.

Erik said:
I gotta agree that it's pretty dumb. Do shit like tax reliefs for establishments that don't allow smoking and other things to encourage smoke free environments, sure, but to completely forbid it everywhere isn't very reasonable. I don't even smoke, but yeah.
smoking should have never existed in the first place, so yeah

markgugs said:
You can not like it, though it's certainly not going to change anything.

Yup, but we're not discussing that I thought? Seems like the discussion was about our opinions on indoor smoking, especially at places where it was, once-upon-a-time, considered a given. Not whether we could change it.

AsModEe said:
smoking should have never existed in the first place, so yeah

Completely wrong and you know it.

Again, I say this as a smoker:

In the future, people/historians/whatnot will look back on these "smoker-friendly" times and think WTF, what fucking morons.

We're but a blip. And smoking is ridiculous. I like it though. :cool:

this is my take on it ...

I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day from the ages of 17-25 ... now i light up an occasional cigar here and there.

I really have no problem with people smoking in bars ... ITS A BAR ... nothing healthy happens there ... people are drinking and fucking themselves up already ... this law in bars is FUCKING STUPID.

Also I want my bar to smell like a bar ... not like my mothers house ... the dingier the better.

I do agree however with this law in restaurants and office spaces.

also there are other problems arising in Manhattan for expample where in bar congested areas, the smokers now take it to the street and basically cause havoc in the dead of night in residential areas. Already there are grass roots campaigns by community organizations to boot bars out of neighbourhoods ...

lurch70 said:
this is my take on it ...

I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day from the ages of 17-25 ... now i light up an occasional cigar here and there.

I really have no problem with people smoking in bars ... ITS A BAR ... nothing healthy happens there ... people are drinking and fucking themselves up already ... this law in bars is FUCKING STUPID.

Also I want my bar to smell like a bar ... not like my mothers house ... the dingier the better.

I do agree however with this law in restaurants and office spaces.

also there are other problems arising in Manhattan for expample where in bar congested areas, the smokers now take it to the street and basically cause havoc in the dead of night in residential areas. Already there are grass roots campaigns by community organizations to boot bars out of neighbourhoods ...

I aggree with all that. You shouldn't be allowed to smoke in office spaces...and resteraunts i can understand i guess...but bars: gimmee a fuckin' break.

Also, about the congestion, that is SOSOSO true. In boston, from 11pm-1am , the sidewalks are PACKED with people smoking ciggerettes, its rediculous to think of this as a solution.

KILL TULLY said:
Completely wrong and you know it.
ahah, don't tell me what I know. I believe in what I said, smoking should have never existed in the first place, it's a plague that uses our dependance to chemical substance. It makes us weak.

i can't wait for when you are no longer allowed to eat Hostess Cherry Pies in the workplace in fear of insulting diabetics. i'm sorta surprised sammitches didn't get banned during the whole anti-carb craze.

"it's tobacco! it's one of the healthiest things you can put in your body!"

hahahahaha Sleeper rules.

AsModEe said:
ahah, don't tell me what I know. I believe in what I said, smoking should have never existed in the first place, it's a plague that use our dependance to chemical substance. It makes us weak.
oh. my. goat. do you eat plain white bread with a side of water for dippin at every meal?

Is it really such a huge favor to ask smokers who are the minority (unless you're from some hick state like Virgina) to put their oral fixation aside for a couple hours, so people who would like to get pissfaced can do so without breathing that vile shit? Who wants to come home smelling like an ashtray?

drunken 5 year old said:
i can't wait for when you are no longer allowed to eat Hostess Cherry Pies in the workplace in fear of insulting diabetics. i'm sorta surprised sammitches didn't get banned during the whole anti-carb craze.

This analogy is flawed. When you eat a cherry pie, you're not spitting crumbs of pie crust in your neighbor's face.

1lb of Naked Nutrition said:
Is it really such a huge favor to ask smokers who are the minority (unless you're from some hick state like Virgina) to put their oral fixation aside for a couple hours, so people who would like to get pissfaced can do so without breathing that vile shit? Who wants to come home smelling like an ashtray?

you must have obviously never tried boozing and smoking at the same time :loco:

it's right there ... next to an orgasm ... as one of the best things