Smoking - Ugh

Nightmare1z

Jun 24, 2002
Marietta, GA
My major complaint of ProgPower III, would have to be the smokers...I'm sorry if this is a rant, but read if you want...

I knew the smoking policy of Earthlink Live, no smoking inside the actually concert area, but smoking was fine in outer areas with the venues and what not.

The security inside the concert would go up to the seats and ask people to put it out if they saw it. What pissed the hell out of me, was the fact that people would still smoke in their seats.

For example, I was sitting watching Zero Hour, a person three rows down lights one up, then exhales his smoke up so it floats right into our faces. He hid it so security wouldn't see, but continued his habit.

This infuriates me to no end... Why is it so hard for people if they are going to smoke to do it on their own space, and not make all the people in the surrounding area second hand smokers. I really hate the smell of smoke, and it bothers me a lot. So I was happy when Glenn replied saying that smoking is prohibited inside. But no, many people felt the need to smoke inside the concert area.

The smell of smoke walking by the venues was horrible to me, but I was fine with it just cause it was allowed. But inside the concert area, I just wanted to punch someone if they did.

So please, for future notice, smokers- realize that not all metal fans are smokers or even tolerate smoke, so please be considerate and light it up in the designated areas

I agree that it was pretty abundant a lot of times. I didn't mind it so much in the outer area, but it travelled into the stage area and irritated my eyes. Just a very minor annoyance that is insignificant in the scheme of things looking back. Best weekend ever. :)

Yeah, I'm not saying it was a problem in the outer area, cause I understand that's where you are allowed to smoke. But when people did in the inner, it bothered me

As a smoker, I couldn't agree with you guys more. Even I can't stand when people just can't or won't follow such a simple request! Believe me, I understand the nastiness of my habit, and that's why I go out of my way to try not to bother other people with it. Sorry for you guys.

I hate smoking and cigarettes in general..but a friend of mine bummed a cigarette from Henjo Richter at our hotel...I found that pretty generous on Henjo's part, and the conversation which followed was quite entertaining.

When will Gamma Ray be back!?!

Just to be fair, a lot of people were *not* aware of the smoking policy. I know I wasn't last year until I was told. Of course, I'm not a smoker, really, I just had the one and I did put it out. But don't assume that everyone was just being an asshole. I know two of my acquaintances weren't.

Shaye

Yeah, I can understand if people didn't know the policy *Even though why people would still smoke inside boggles me*. I hope next time they will put at least signs on door about this. The people that really got me were those who deliberatly saw the security putting them out, but kept doing it.

I agree Nightmare1z! I am a smoker, though only socially.. I never did partake during the entire event mostly because I didn't desire to, but also because I knew it would be rude.. I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing it in the lobby even and I sure wasnt' going outisde just for something that I only do while hanging out talking. ANYWAYS, I want to punch those people too! I don't mind those who don't know the rule ((I didn't at first)) but the ones who think they're 'oh so cool' that they're sneaking a ciggy when they aren't supposed to just piss me off!! :rolleyes: If you need it that bad, go to where it's designated! If you need it bad but don't want to miss the show then pick your priority! haha!

~Sh0kr0k~

Originally posted by Curufin
There was some big old guy with short hair right next to me in the crowd who lit up a joint.... security came and took it away... it was quite funny :D

YEAH, I SMELLED 'those funny cigarettes' during EDGUY AND BG'S SET, GLAD TO SEE SECURITY ON THEIR TOES.

BUT ALL US NON-SMOKERS WILL BE DEAD BEFORE THE SMOKERS ANYWAY. I'VE BEEN GOING TO CLUBS AND PLAYING IN THEM SINCE THE MIDDLE 80'S, SO, I JUST WONDER WHAT MY LUNGS LOOK LIKE BCAUSE OF SOMEONE ELSE'S SMOKE, hmmmm lets see....

Originally posted by DAVETHEMETALGUY
YEAH, I SMELLED 'those funny cigarettes' during EDGUY AND BG'S SET, GLAD TO SEE SECURITY ON THEIR TOES.

BUT ALL US NON-SMOKERS WILL BE DEAD BEFORE THE SMOKERS ANYWAY. I'VE BEEN GOING TO CLUBS AND PLAYING IN THEM SINCE THE MIDDLE 80'S, SO, I JUST WONDER WHAT MY LUNGS LOOK LIKE BCAUSE OF SOMEONE ELSE'S SMOKE, hmmmm lets see....

unless it's a daily thing, it won't be a real concern.