Places to visit in ATL - reviews

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
So what did you think of the places you did visit in ATL now that you've done it?

We had lunch at Fado Fado (Irish Pub) in Buckhead. It was good. The Boxty Quesedillas were amazing.

We also went to the Vortex Sunday night. It was good too. Neat atmosphere and good food. A bit smoky though as they don't distinguish between smoking and non-smoking. I can generally deal with cigarette smoke, but not while I'm eating.

I went the coke muesum, boring as hell. Did anyone try that Italian soda, I thought I was going to puke. I was screaming and yelling and the whole room staring and laughin at me.

Ian

Vortex!

Of course, I went last year too - but that's the whole reason I went back. Love that place. Great food and atmosphere, and I don't remember there being any cigarette smoke...

I didn't get anywhere besides the venue and the Subway by my hotel. The Subway was weird.. it had touch-screen ordering terminals that took all the humanity out of ordering. It's the first time I have ever ordered food without talking to a person. o_O

I've been to the Vortex before. I really like their Turkey Reuben and I hear the Mexican Spring Rolls are good too.

sh0kr0k said:
I didn't get anywhere besides the venue and the Subway by my hotel. The Subway was weird.. it had touch-screen ordering terminals that took all the humanity out of ordering. It's the first time I have ever ordered food without talking to a person. o_O

that subway was very BIZARRE! it definitely took me longer to use the damn touch screen than it would have to simply talk to someone.

rockyracoon said:
that subway was very BIZARRE! it definitely took me longer to use the damn touch screen than it would have to simply talk to someone.

I went there twice and had something go wrong each time.. If only it didn't smell so good as I walked by I'd never eat there again! :loco:

sh0kr0k said:
I went there twice and had something go wrong each time.. If only it didn't smell so good as I walked by I'd never eat there again! :loco:

We stopped in there and the guy went to put mustard on my sandwich...the lid came off and he dumped about 1/4 of the bottle on it. Then began to attempt to wipe it off the sandwich with napkins. huh? Could ya go ahead and make a new one.....

Just did the usual L5P Vortex. Went with a hysterical group of people so that rocked. Messed around in the Junkman's Daughter while we were down there.

I remember drinking all those nasty flavors of coke a few years back and just about choking. ugh.

Well... erm... on Monday we were gonna go to that Viet/Thai place RealM recommended, but... the West Coast time lag thang interfered. Lemme explain. Every time I travel to the Eastern time zone I forget to eat. I am never hungry, so I constantly overlook food. Then on that particular day hunger struck around 5 pm and we ate at the first place we saw - Jocks and Jills at the CNN center. Going back to Midtown would have taken quite a while... Sorta underwhelming, but it was food...

So... What else... On Monday we went to the Coke museum thing. It was fun tasting the sodas (yup, the Italian one was pretty vile, but the Chinese watermelon one was the worst; the Israeli lime one was nasty, as well) but overall it was not overly impressive. We followed that with the CNN tour. Here's me reading from the teleprompter in the special effects room:
anniecnn.jpg

The tour guide girl was trying to scroll really fast, but I kept up except when that period disappeared in the bright lights... ;) We had a kick-ass tour group and gave the girl a run for the money - we picked on her, on CNN... The best was that most of the people were opinionated avid viewers. :D

On Sunday we went to Stone Mountain - by bus - and on the way back walked the Cherokee Trail - that rocked!

On Thursday we found nourishment at a brand new tapas place called Ola at Colony Square. It is located where there was a breakfast place three years ago. They treated us very well and the special for the night was the house wine - a passable Chardonnay. The food was great.

zimbee said:
On Thursday we found nourishment at a brand new tapas place called Ola at Colony Square. It is located where there was a breakfast place three years ago. They treated us very well and the special for the night was the house wine - a passable Chardonnay. The food was great.

We saw that place walking back from Vortex. The sign said, "Taqueria-Tapas-Wine". Very strange. Doesn't matter though, as I hate Tapas. Now Topless is another matter entirely.

Went to City Cafe (same spot as the former "gay Dennys's") on Wednesday night after the pre-pre-party. It ruled, as usual, and the leftovers -- there are always leftovers, unless you're incredibly hungry -- made the crossing to both Residence Inns we stayed at (Buckhead and Midtown). I picked at them for much of the rest of the weekend. City Cafe rules. :D

Went to Taco Cabana on Thursday night -- good, quick and relatively cheap as usual. Fun group including the mighty Dargormudshark. Next year he'll have his own driver and limousine 'cause he'll be a rockstar, so this was a rare chance to mingle with the great and near-great. :)

Went to Chinese Buddha on Friday night -- they were quite busy and it took awhile for "Jackie Chan" to serve us, but the wait was worth it as the food was good and I got to crack the Soup Joke for real. We were the last of the PP customers to leave, I think it was after 5am, so we felt kinda accomplished.

Saturday night after the show......we kinda forgot to eat. I got sidetracked by the now infamous ProgPower 6.1 party over at the Grenada and by the time I left, it was around 5am, so no dinner. :eek:

On Sunday Derek/Ruthven and I went first to a Golden Corral, but they were busy with post-churchies, so we aborted that plan and went to Fuddruckers instead, which was great. A nice cold Oreo shake was the perfect tonic for my much-abused throat. \m/

We hit the EZPNZone again. I did the boxing simulator. I was dominating. Air hockey got violent. Best damn deserts ever. Chocolate chip cookie covered in ice cream, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream. Almost killed my brother!

We forgot to hit Joe's Crab Shack this year, damnit.

Guitar Center was fun. Kevin spent at least a half-hour wanking on a Petrucci model Music Man with the piezo acoustic pickups and the Mystic finish. We know what he's saving his money up for!

As always, the Madison Grill kicked much ass. They need to be open for lunch on Saturday, though.

Took advantage of the Subway by the Residence and got a turkey sub every afternoon that I stored in the room for something to eat after the show. That was my good idea for the weekend...

dt

Yippee38 said:
So what did you think of the places you did visit in ATL now that you've done it?

We had lunch at Fado Fado (Irish Pub) in Buckhead. It was good. The Boxty Quesedillas were amazing.

We went there twice....we were staying at the embassy suites....we went there monday and sunday....freakin awesome food there. Especially the sampler plate.....those fried cheese bread things w/ the cheese dip.....<drools>