The Official Hookah Thread!

Can't stand tobacco or weed, but absolutely love hookah.

My favorite flavors have to be any kind of mint, pineapple, or - and this is the best one - Cactus Cooler.

If any of you US dudes know what Cactus Cooler is... you know how fucking awesome CC shisha would taste!

i have never smoked shisha :(
i am ashamed

you should be, find a local bar and bring a friend, a bowl will last generally 45min-1hr depending on how hard you smoke and how many people are on the hookah. They even make small hookahs (almost like pocket hookahs about 8 in. long which start at about 20 USD. You don't need massively expensive hookahs to enjoy a good smoke.

Get with it Gareth, you're missing out!

I'm a big fan of pineapple. There is a Lebanese place near me with outdoor music, food, hookah in the summer time. Good times. Drink, smoke, eat! They actually put a chunk of pine apple surrounding the...errr what's it called, chamber I guess? Smells/tastes fucking awesome.

-Joe

I was told at my local smoke shop that they run out of pineapple all the time because its the most popular flavor. And its called the "bowl", just like "smokin' a bowl"

I've never used a hookah either; do you actually inhale it, or just chamber it in your mouth like a cigar?

ima make a little Fact/FAQ thing up about smoking shisha, but yes you completely inhale, like bong/pipe inhale.

I never used one for it's intended use. I have filled it with a ton of weed and basically wasted it all.

I have discussed that with people before, you are heating up the weed to the point of THC activation, so it should work. Maybe you should break it apart into leaves and soak it in molasses, and then mix it with the shisha. I will have to do a google search to see what works

inhaling smoke of any kind in my lungs just sounds terrible to me...

mind you i smoked cigs for a few years, and pot and hash as well.

will make a quick note. The shisha is not burned, rather baked, in the same way that you would bake food, the smoke is vapors of the molasses and flavors, a very very small amount of nicotine a 250g container has .005% nicotine and one bowl is about 10g usually. Other than that since the shisha is being baked at the same temperature that weed is vaporized in, 260F-360F, on average about 280F, and the combustion point of tobacco to produce tar and other harmful carcinogens is 800F. So its literally as safe as smoking from a vaporizer.

My Shisha tabacco drips of moisture...
I mean to say many of the arab-shops here are not soo interested in law, generally;)

But beware of peach, the last peach tobacco I#ve smoked tasted like dill:guh:
One drag makes you wanna throw up hard.

The quality over here(at least in my shops) is capricious, sometimes it tastes like heaven and sometimes you have to put that stuff directly in the garbage.

But I love it:)

Some Facts:

- Hookah is generally accepted and partaken by people who do not smoke tobacco are marijuana.
- Smoking is generally a social past-time after a larger meal at the end of the day, this is what the Arab culture did as families would gather into a room and smoke hookah after a large meal. today this same culture is seen in the young adult demographic mostly through Europe and the US during a rise in popularity over the past few years.
- Shisha contains no tar. It is baked to a temperature of usually 280F-300F which is much lower than the temperature needed to burn the tobacco and create tar and other cancer causing agents.
- Shisha contains .005% nicotine and 0g tar, while a single cigarette contains 10-15% nicotine and 5% tar.
- Shisha is a type of tobacco similar to pipe tobacco that is treated with flavored molasses. The smoke that is created is the vapors of flavor that are "cooked" off from the shisha.
- The smoke is much thicker than other types of tobacco creating a fun and easier way to blow smoke rings.
- The smoke is inhaled similarly to that of a pipe or bong, the user takes a deep inhale and stops when they feel they have enough
- As the smoke is not nearly as harsh as cigarettes, it is difficult to feel the inhalation of the smoke, allowing much larger amounts of smoke to be inhaled, this is why the smoke is so thick.
- Because Shisha contains no tar, it does not make yourself, or your house/furniture smell musky and like smoke. The room will generally smell like fruity incests were burned but dissipates within a half hour or so, leaving no signs that shisha was ever smoked.
- Smoking still has its dangers. There are some amounts of tar, however very very trace amounts that is resulted from hitting the hookah too hard and getting th tar from the burning charcoals. The charcoals also pose a health thread as you are still inhaling Carbon Monoxide. While Carbon Monoxide will not kill you during a hookah session, it can have negative short term and long term effects.
- Excessive Carbon Monoxide comes from hitting the hookah too hard, and continuing to smoke after the Shisha has fully burned, afterwards the Shisha will actually start to combust and create heavy amounts of Carbon Monoxide, making you feel ill, inducing headache and possibly feeling faint and or fainting. If you ever notice that the smoke is getting thin after a good 30+ minutes session and the smoke is beginning to hit hard, its usually done anymore is not good as it will make you sick.
- Get good charcoals, the cheaper stuff, not only tastes bad, but can have large amounts of tar and Carbon Monoxide, the more expensive the charcoal, the better the taste the longer lasting the smoke, and the less tar and carbon monoxide you will get.

*NOTE*: There have been no substantially backed studies involving smoking Shisha, however most health sites will claim radical facts (or claim facts "based on" studies, which are frauds) like Shisha contains 200 time more nicotine per gram than combusted tobacco and actually has worse carcinogens in it than tobacco, all on the premise that a session of hookah will give you as much smoke as 4 packs of cigarettes. The density of smoke does not determine the danger. Smoke of the places stating myths about Shisha have been speculated tobacco companies trying to make Shisha sound worse for your health as the rising popularity of Hookah has been on the rise the past few years and the tobacco companies are getting hit pretty hard by it.

Some myths floating around:

- Shisha has 100-200 time more tar per gram than tobacco
- Shisha produces more smoke than a cigarette so it is more harmful
- Shisha has more cancer causing agents in it than tobacco
- One Session can have as much smoke as 4 packs of cigarettes, therefore, smoking a bowl is just as bad as smoking 4 packs of cigarettes.
- And many places stating these facts will cite their sources as "studies done by..." There have been NO documented studies of Shisha ever and most doctors will actually say, "we don't know much about hookah, however since you are getting some amounts of carbon monoxide, we can't say that it isn't detrimental to your health and because of its nature we can not say that it is safer than cigarettes because some people might use that as a reason to fall back on what potentially could harm them, although we have no facts on this"

You don't have to take my word for it about nay of these facts, look them up yourself, make your own judgement, but remember, just because it is smoke does not mean its harmful. I mean even some amounts of carbon monoxide and other carcinogens are absorbed into your house when you have a fire going, some thing goes with standing over a BBQ, this is why grills say "DO NOT USE INDOORS". Now I am not saying that Hookah is any safer than standing over a BBQ or having a fire, but it just makes you think.

As tasty as it is, I'm not sure that smoking it inside (and next to electronics, at that!) is a good idea. I don't smoke much and I tend to try new things every time, but so far the flavor that has stuck out the most is chocolate mint - it feels like smoking ice cream.

Jeff

Not even sure where to start looking for one of these Hookah smoking things in Australia.
I don't know ANYONE that owns one and yet I hang out with many tobacco and weed smokers

As tasty as it is, I'm not sure that smoking it inside (and next to electronics, at that!) is a good idea. I don't smoke much and I tend to try new things every time, but so far the flavor that has stuck out the most is chocolate mint - it feels like smoking ice cream.

Jeff

whats really cool about smaking from a hookah is that since the shisha isn't being burned, the tar which coats everything with a corrosive bad smelling "muck" is not being produced. After a smoke the room smells like the Jellybelly Factory and the smell is completely gone within a few minutes.

I wouldn't smoke a cigarette or weed in my room, but hookah is another story.

Unless it's vapor that's being released during the "baking" process though, it's still particulate matter that can get in your components...

Put mint flavoured tabacco in the top, then fill the bottle with cherry liquor instead of water!...
But my favourite tabacco's are these:

1 - Liqourish:
smaaktabak-drop-50-gram.jpg

2 - Dubble Apple:
dubbel%20appel.jpg

3 - Strawberry (no pic available)

Big shisha fan here! I´ve got a very small one in our rehersal room. It´s like 30 cm high but it works very well. Better than the big ones I had.

Best tobacco brand is definitely Al Fakher and I really like their lemon flavoured tobacco.

I smoked with a few buddys in the holidays and we somehow managed to get the best tasting shisha expirience EVER. We could never reproduce it so far^^ It was Al Fakher Lemon tobacco and the smoke was incredibly dense! If you inhaled two to three times and tried to stand up and get a beer you just fell over...

I smoke it almost everyday in my studio (for the couple years my studio has been open) and nothing has happened to my gear or auralex goods :)

I was in Abu Dhabi couple months ago and was told It's actually pronounced Ul Fah-ger "Ger" being said like the proper way to say Volkswagen.

I only smoke Al Fakher Mint, and sometimes add weed in it to make it "weed menthol" :) or as we call a "dirty pipe"

Yeah, the weed for me doesn't affect you as much as if you had a joint or bong or whatever other methods you use for smoking.
It just puts you on that awesome high where you're not over stoned and sit there like a mindless stoner.

Better for when you're not required to do anything important an hour or two after smoking.

After testing out other molasses brands, Al Fakher is the best. It pulls in smoothly and doesn't burn your throat as much, (Probably explains why it's so rare and expensive.)
I wanted to get a 2L tub when I was overseas but apparently customs only let you bring in one and charge you for the rest.

In my experience, proper coal is just as important as the proper tobacco. "swift lite" coals are my preferred brand.
It burns out a little faster but doesn't burn the tobacco as fast and has a mild burn taste towards the end, not that horrible last burn taste due the overheated tobacco.