I bought a middle-eastern hookah

Depending on the size of the head I use 1 and 3/4 pieces of coal and the last 1/4 is the "revival coal" that you use to jump start the pipe again once you feel it's starting to die. Depending if you've packed the head correctly and the coals aren't burning too much you can make one pipe last for maybe an hour and 20min.

After trying different sized/shaped heads, imo its best to use small but deep dished heads instead of big wide ones which burn out really fast being it shallow.

It'll probably be a while before I can splurge on another hookah or accessories for it but I did find another local shop that sells herbal shisha and picked up a box of apple molasses.
so tasty. I think I'll try mixing the mint with the apple and see what its like.

Cool and informative post, deanbailey. I've only started playing with breaking the coals into sections and different placements on the head to see what burns the best.
Are you saying you use 1 3/4 coals on 1 head? Or are you saying you use either 1 or 3/4 and then keep the extra 1/4 for riviving the shisha? That was a bit confusing to read for me.

Aah sorry, I meant one whole coal, one half, and a quarter. So it's 3 pieces in total, which leaves you with the last quarter. Just remember to keep that last piece away from the others when lighting :p because the lit ones sometimes shoot sparks that accidentally ignite the revival coal.