The Official Hookah Thread!

we are smoking Exotic, and before it was the coconut charcoal. yes a good coal is going to make for a better smoother smoke. Quick lights are absolute crap. The cleaner and cooler the coal and the less Monoxide the better the smoke and more pleasing, I still hate how the last few hits induces a migraine, but smoking with tin foil seems to lessen it a lot. I think foil is much better although gives a much thicker and slightly harsher smoke.

Yeah, even the coffee shops in Abu Dhabi use foil. It's sorta the standard I think.
What they also do is put on a foil sleeve around the edge of the head sorta like creating a little bowl on top. This protects the coal from wind and it burning out faster. We call it a "kufia" (I think it's spelt) taken from the name given to the muslim hat.
It could just be a name made up by our group of friends though...

You'll often see those can-like shaped tins being put over the head which is the same principle.

I'm very specific when it comes to making pipes (shisha), from cleaning the head to placing the foil shiny side down. So I'll stop here lol

Ah dudes... I whish I could smoke a shisha with a few of you guys right now. I´m sitting at work and I´m stuck here for at least 3 more hours. :puke:

What is a good brand of hookah to buy? I'm assuming the handmade shit is the best, but what is an acceptable brand and/or place to buy?

Joe

Just tried my first Al-Fakheer's Double apple.. smooth as hell..

yeah, my alltime favorite!
shisha-smoke.gif

What is a good brand of hookah to buy? I'm assuming the handmade shit is the best, but what is an acceptable brand and/or place to buy?

Joe

look for MYA
very well built, and the design is awesome.
this is mine:
205ccf98-a442-11dd-9713-000fea5d626e.jpeg

it's called "MYA jupiter" IIRC.

^ +1 everything on that pipe looks snug and airtight. Plus that head looks pretty sweet.

The wide, shallow heads are better (imo) if you distribute your coal evenly on the top you burn the tobacco evenly. Not like those deep dish ones where you taste a little burn from the top but the bottom is "uncooked"

I would just swap out the standard pipe piece (the piece you smoke from) with a surgical transparent pipe which you can get from an aquarium store or hardware store. They're easier to clean and you can see if they're collecting any dirt.
Those cotton covered pipes tend to collect ash and tobacco pieces over time and it's not pleasant when you inhale them at a later stage.

That´s a very nice shisha dude! Just one question... How do you connect the water glass and the shaft? I am searching for a shisha with threads on both parts, so you can screw it in. It would 100% air tight and simple to connect but I´m not shure if there is such a thing... Would be great though

Yeah, the weed for me doesn't affect you as much as if you had a joint or bong or whatever other methods you use for smoking.
It just puts you on that awesome high where you're not over stoned and sit there like a mindless stoner.

Better for when you're not required to do anything important an hour or two after smoking.

that would suit me better, although i huge waste in weed, I really don't like to get blazed, just a pretty hardcore buzz, especially if you are blending that with the Hookah buzz which knocks me on my ass anyway.

Joe

Around here the most popular brands are Starbuzz, Fantasia, and Al Fakher, haven;t had Al Fakher, but from what I hear its a 50/50 love hate, some people can't stand it, some swear by it. IMO Fantasia is too moist, it oozes everywhere and gets all in the pipe which unless you have a vortex bowl can mitigate the life of the hookah. Still have to put Starbuzz as my favorite, at 20 USD per 250g, I would say the stuff isn't cheap.

That´s a very nice shisha dude! Just one question... How do you connect the water glass and the shaft? I am searching for a shisha with threads on both parts, so you can screw it in. It would 100% air tight and simple to connect but I´m not shure if there is such a thing... Would be great though

don't quite get what you are talking about, from what I understand all hookahs screw on, the pipe screws onto the vase and there is a rubber washer that creates an air tight seal. As long as the threads are the same size any pipe should fit with any vase.

Gonna give this a little bump. I know that there are some people that have questions about everything regarding hookah, so keep this thread alive.

Its not hookah... but i managed to solve my lack of rolling abilities the other night...

normally i can't roll anything except for blunts

so the other night i pre-rolled a cone and packed it... :Smokin:

I've only smoked shisha once at a shisha bar.
I'm assuming that's what it was?

They called it flavored tobacco.

You guys make it seem like a delicacy though. It was pretty good, I admit but then again they probably had the mass produced, cheap ass kind.
It was only $9.99 for all you can smoke, WITH a round of sandwiches and water!

Definitely made for a good time.

Is the stuff you guys are talking illegal? Because if not, I just recently gave up cigarettes of 6 years, and I really miss the cool menthol smoke feeling.

Anything comparable in the hookah world? :p

Some good mint shisha is GREAT if you blend it with another fruity flavoured smoke. Also, I'd suggest adding a few ice cubes to the water/base and letting it chill for a couple minutes before you start smoking. I think It goes perfect with the mint. As soon as I find where the wife has put the camera, I'll snap a shot or two of my hookah to show you guys how I roll.

Also, to the dude who was having trouble with rolling... something that helped me a great deal when I was learning was to use a dollar bill...
hold the bill vertically and roll the bottom up touching around the middle of the bill... now add your smoke and use the bill to roll it into a cigarette formation... after this, roll the smoke down to the bottom of the dollar bill (without spilling your smoke, of course) and place your rolling paper to the far-rear of the smoke against the largest portion of the dollar bill... and now simply roll the dollar bill upwards, forcing the rolling paper down and around the smoke.... if done properly, it should produce a symetrically rolled smoke. After using this method a few times, I was able to better understand the mechanics behind rolling a good smoke and was able to do it free-hand from then on. This could very well help you you, dude.

Last edited by a moderator: