I bought a middle-eastern hookah

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
As well as two 50 gram boxes of shisha. 1 mint and 1 fruit blend.
According to the stats on the packaging neither of the tobaccos contain any tar and both contain only 0.5% nicotine, which of course isn't good but I cant imagine it to be any more harmful than coffee or energy drinks and all of the processed bullshit that goes into the food I eat on a daily basis.

All the sudden I've found myself fascinated with it and I've been experimenting lately with Raga. I've been listening to Ravi Shankar and his daughter, Anoushka Shankar, for the last few days while I enjoy preparing and smoking.

I'm not sure what motivated me to do this because I dont smoke, well normally, and I haven't smoked for several years. My wife doesn't smoke, either and even SHE has been giving it a go, with me. We even got her mother to try it which is a miracle on its own. Her mother is straight-edge. On the VERY odd occasion that she has had any amount of alcohol since I've known her for the last few years, she doesn't finish an entire drink and feels the effects after a couple sips.

Anyone else on the forum smoke shisha?
I should share a couple pics of the new hookah to share with you guys.
Anyone else have pics of your own favorite smoking device to share? :Smokin:

How could I NOT use that smiley. I mean, really?

I bought a pretty big one while in Iraq.... The thing is very neat. I'm a big fan of the fruit flavors, best one is apple.... I don't use it often, but it comes out for party's....

Never tried one myself, but I might if offered.

Well, let me take that back. I have been offered before but there was a ton of...something else is in there. Even if I did partake of illegal substances I wouldn't have taken them up on their offer, those dudes never knew how to mix ANYTHING.

I am however lookin' into rolling my own cigarettes. Smoking a pipe is all I use to smoke tobacco, but it might be interesting to try my own rolls.

I just discovered something pretty cool. I added a couple drops of lemon essential oil to the bulb and it blends really well with a bowl of fruit's blend with a pinch of mint on top.
I normally do add a few ice cubes to the bulb, which is especially nice with the mint either on its own or mixed with the fruit. I think the next time I go to the city I'll try to find apple and melon.
Any suggestions or personal favs?

My favorite flavor is Lebanese Nights. It's a very odd flavor. I'm not sure you can get it where you're at though. There's a few shops here that make it but I'm not sure if it's a widespread thing. Try mango with no water in the bowl; use mango juice instead with ice.

What's the deal with hookah, anyway? Is the stuff you smoke a form of tobacco? I've never smoked a hookah (and certainly not a cigarette, fuck that in the hellhole)

What's the deal with hookah, anyway? Is the stuff you smoke a form of tobacco? I've never smoked a hookah (and certainly not a cigarette, fuck that in the hellhole)

Yeah, pretty much. The coal briquette keeps burning and heats up the lovely stuff. It's smooth as hell. Nowhere near as harsh as any cigarette or pot. Tasty as hell.

-Joe

I've found herbal shisha online that claims to contain no tobacco. no tar and no nicotine. The stuff I bought in Melbourne is listed to have 0% tar and 0.5% nicotine, which is obviously way lower than any pipe or cigarette tobacco. I think even those ween type cigarettes to help smokers quit contain more tar and nicotine than shisha does.
The deal, for me anyway, is that preparing the shisha, sharing and enjoying it is all very relaxing. It tastes really nice, too. I'm finding out more as my interest develops that the amount of flavors available are pretty overwhelming and could take quite some time to try them all... unless I somehow experience a massive financial gain.

Technically It's molasses not tobacco, although you can call it tobacco. (I think the difference is because it's wet instead). I've been smoking everyday last year and decided to stop the start of this year, which didn't really work out as I smoke now and then.

I've gotten to the point where you NEED to make it right and only smoke "Al Ajamy mint" or "Al Fahkr mint". Those brands are the smoothest on your lungs and don't burn easily so you can fill your lungs more before you start coughing (if you do at all).

Tips:
Never fill the pipes bottle fuller than the tip of the steel pipe that goes in the water, you get more of a smoke chamber and more smoke.
Ice blocks do help but it gets too chilled after a while and it fills the bottle up more so I ditch that Idea.

When putting the Tin foil over the top (never use the coal tray they give you if you value your lungs), Use heavy duty tin foil because when the coal is on the top the thicker foil absorbs/sustains more heat AND doens't burn as fast with thinner foil, that way your pipe lasts longer :)
Use a fine pin to pierce several holes distributed evenly over the head. Lots of small holes > little big holes. That way it burns evenly :)
Also ditch the cotton covered pipe you put your mouth on. Those gather solid pieces over time and you end up breathing them in. Get a surgical plastic clear pipe so you can see what's in side when you smoke.

There was a study in SA about it because kids here are smoking it as if it's the new cigarette, and what was concluded is that it is completely bacteria free (provided you don't pass it to someone with lip herpes) because the water acts as a filter.

lilhermiejobo

420!!!!
I want to get a hookah too! I just don't really have anywhere to put it. :(

lilhermiejobo

420!!!!
I want to get a hookah too! I just don't really have anywhere to put it. :(

:lol: I didn't even catch that until I read your post dude. The one I've got is fairly small (10 inches tall by 4 or 5 inches wide) plus the bulb and stem/pipe come apart as well, taking up even less space.

Anyway,
in the previous spirit of showing pics, the mrs has gone pic crazy with this thing. She loves taking pictures of the smoke and has become obsessed with making rings out of the smoke :kickass: I still cant do that :lol:

I swear I was only smoking shisha in this pic regardless to what it looks like
2ebua1l.jpg

dlj1tt.jpg

2ir0m6b.jpg

I love my hookah.

On the topic of foil-puncturing, what I do is a little different. The pin thing is really repetitive (and easy to overdo), so I use a fork - I lay the curvy bit on the outer rim of the bowl, and then 'roll' it until the tines are just about to puncture the foil, at which point I push down slightly with my finger to make three several very small holes at once. Depending on your taste and the coals you're using, you may need to do this several times.

Jeff

The first time I smoked a hookah my cousin did, nearly, the same thing. I find the entire process of preparing the hookah to be relaxing and I've started to create designs in the foil (never any larger than the coal). Spider webs, spirals, swastikas, and I'm sure there are designs that dont start with "S" in there somewhere.
I'm glad to find others who enjoy hookah as well. I knew there are quite a few that do, obviously or the retailers wouldn't make money off them and quit selling them, but I get a special fuzzy feeling inside knowing that we're on the same sub-forum. Might have something to do with my just discovering the hookah recently, but its a lot more noble and meaningful to imagine a connection with total strangers. :kickass:
On THAT note, I'd like to add that I found a small indian shop in a suburb nearby on my lunch break today and picked up another roll of coals and now its time for an after-dinner smoke.
I'll take some pics so I can finally show you folks my new toy a totally rad new design in foil.