Snare reverb how the hell get right one.

Feb 13, 2009
Czech republic
I really like the big reverb on snare drums like Sneap or Sturgis ones.
But I can´t get one working on my mixes.

How the hell get one?
Do you gate the reverb?
Do you equalize it?
Do you compress it?

Please help :).

I find the best way to get a good snare verb is to pay CLOSE attention to predelay. That will allow you to have a snappy dry snare quickly followed by the verb.

I've been using some settings found in an article as my basis for my metal snare sounds - it recommended a short plate with 500 to 800 milliseconds of decay and a pre-delay between 7 and 11 milliseconds. It's worked pretty well as a starting point for me after which I just play with send levels to work with it - it seems to be a good place to start and then work with it to get the quality of sound you want Hope it helps.

You could setup a sidechain compressor after the reverb send, and key the sidechain with the direct signal of the snare. Which means the reverb will be turned down when the snare transient hits, and will "bloom" out of the tail of the snare. It can sound more natural than gating the snare.

Predelay is also very useful.

Good tips over here. First of all, spend some time to compare all those different reverbs out there (just in case you haven't done that allready). Lots of those algorithms sound pretty unique. I'd agree with Jind in using plate-reverbs on snare (close to all of the time). My personal favourite is the EMT-140 plug for the UAD-System. If you don't have that one, try the impulse-responses from Echochamber.

http://www.echochamber.ch/
click on: "ressourcen" -> "impulse responses" -> search the "uad140" zips (they are there in 24 and 32 bit)

Other suggestions:
Try to narrow down the stereo-width of the reverb signal, sometimes it works great in mono.
Compress the reverb signal or even saturate it. That way it will be present without needing to much peak-level (so it won't cover up the dry signal, especially when the master-compression comes in).

Depends on the tempo of the song really.
Hard to hear it on the quicker stuff, and it can eat up the mix. Ya gotta be careful!

if you are using pro tools. use D-Verb.

there's a medium plate setting that will be a good start. add some pre delay and mess with the time. from 1sec to 3sec depending on what you want.

Sturgis hardly ever uses reverb on snare. he automates the slates room (Z4) sample.