~ Snare-tarded ~

I'll definitely second the 'Symbolic' snare (hell, any of Hoglan's stuff with SYL too) and Burn My Eyes has some of the best drum sounds I've ever heard.

Jeff

Agreed! Beneath the Massacre is so damn awesome, it use Mechanics of Dysfunction as a new benchmark when i make technical death metal mixes now. I would never have tried using such a low pitched snare for that type of music, but it works f***ing great!

Other than that some personal favorites are Darkane - Layers of Lies (one of my all-time favorite productions), Deftones - White Pony, Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama, and everything ever made by Mastodon. Vaders newest has a kickass snare too.

Snares drive me crazy and I conciously try and avoid paying too much attention.

That being said, I do like: Deftones definitely on Around the Fur and White Pony - a little hollowness and the slightest snare buzz....the sound of the smack on The Haunted's Revolver for a balls out sound. Tommy Lee's on the self-titled album Motley did with John Corabi, for that ultra-processed huuuuge snare sound.

The one more obscure snare sound I adore isn't from a metal record. It's on Our Lady Peace's Naveed. Most folks absolutely hate it, but I love it. It's ringing snare city. It's not in the same ballpark as St Anger, but it is getting there :D

The snare sounds cool but god damn this album is sooo squashed, it sounds so tiny weak.. and I love BTM.. but. ack.
yeah honestly i'm not a fan of the guitars but the snare and kick i really like. it sounds like the overheads are compressed which is uber awful

I completely forgot one, testament - the gathering! GREAT sounding snare on that one... the whole kit sounds huge, but that snare is really good.

You dudes might not like this band, BUT Switchfoot's "Nothing Is Sound" album has some wicked drum sounds.

Check out "Happy is a Yuppy Word" mixed by the legendary CLA, IIRC.

The last three amon amarth albums have sounded pretty awesome, but don't know what happened to the kicks on fate of norns...somebody slipped and bumped them up in the mix or something..

Saint Anger has a great snare (in the context of the album), i know a great deal of people disagree but it fits well for the album. Bob Rock is a great producer that is up there with the best of em! If in doubt of a good snare just look at any Sneap album (Killswitch for example). But use those two things on your head, dont dislike a sound just becuase people say it sucks (saint anger snare for example) - trust those ears people!

Wow this is difficult...
Arch Enemy - Doomsday
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Slipknot - Vol3

And I'm pretty impressed with the snare sound on the new chimaira album as well...

Saint Anger has a great snare (in the context of the album), i know a great deal of people disagree but it fits well for the album. Bob Rock is a great producer that is up there with the best of em! If in doubt of a good snare just look at any Sneap album (Killswitch for example). But use those two things on your head, dont dislike a sound just becuase people say it sucks (saint anger snare for example) - trust those ears people!

The first person who isn't negative about the st. anger album snare!!!! wow..I thought everybody was in agreement that that was the worst snare sound on an album...so it's not like that :)...
And no one here I think said that Bob Rock isn't a great producer.

Although I agree with the point your making IMO that snare did really suck