So Blink 182 came into the studio today...

brianhood

No Care Ever
Finished 1 full song in about 10 hours. Here is what they left with after a 10 min mix session.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Heroes forTonight/v 2/First Impression.mp3

opinions please

UPDATE:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Heroes forTonight/v3/First Impression.mp3

I reamped the guitars using a completely different tone. Instead of using the ms diamondplate, i used the Match Chief head along with the screamer pedal(it sounds super weak without that). This was also my first recording using pod farm instead of the pod xt.

I tried to keep it as low gain as i could, but since they had a breakdown, i couldnt put the gain too low or else it sounded weak. I think this tone sounds alot clearer and fits the band a little better. I know this mix is still more metal than it should but, but get over it. I can't help it:)

I also used different tom samples and took out all of the high end boost i had on the kick drum. It's now completely flat except for a high pass and a small cut on the lowend.

I tweaked the bass just a tad, and i tried to get the song slightly louder:lol: gotta love the loudness war

Fuckin rad mix dude wow huge tom & mark knock off thats scary lol but if u are going for that blink 182 uve got it man maybe hats a tad lower and and a little less comp on teh hats and a wee messing the gtr tone too POd ish which is great but for this more clarity less gain besides that nothing bro soudns killer congratz!

Sounds great Brian, the kit is a touch metal for punk i think too (especially with the big 5k click or whatever). Surely the green kit is the one to use here? You've done a swell job on the vocals too!

its really sounding nice!

i agree with the others, the kit sounds quite metal, something a bit less aggressive would suit better, i think!

is that still the AT3035? it seems like quite a versatile mic.. i've been thinking about buying it!

thanks,

Yea i have a bit of trouble in this style as well and I got a full length coming up with a pop punk band. Anyways, yea i would try some different drum samples and Maybe a bit less gain on the guitars as well. Bass and vox sound great but the guitars and drums scream metal to my ears!

It's sounding great, apart from what everyone else said, drums are way too agressive, mainly the kick, it's way too clicky! And I believe the snare could use a bit more roundness too it, a bit more pop a little less CRACK. Toms seem to be a bit overwhelming in the low end department, when toms kick in you feel them nicely but when they stop being hit looks like the mix is lacking a bit of low end, it's not your mixes fault, it's just that toms are very rich in the low end, could be backed up a little there I believe. Otherwise good job!

I have a feeling a more acoustic, roomy kit would fit this much more. Slate samples = <3 but this is far too metal sounding.

Are these slate samples?

Yup! All slate(i love you so much Mr. Slate)

Sounds great Brian, the kit is a touch metal for punk i think too (especially with the big 5k click or whatever). Surely the green kit is the one to use here? You've done a swell job on the vocals too!

Thanks dude! I'm metal at heart:headbang: It's hard to make myself not have a clicky kick haha. I'll try the green kick and maybe a different snare asap

its really sounding nice!

is that still the AT3035? it seems like quite a versatile mic.. i've been thinking about buying it!

thanks,

Yup! I actually bought it because of mixes i heard from Joey and a few other people on here. I decided it was gonna my first vocal mic perchase before i even knew the price

For $140 and free shipping, you can't beat it:)
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AUTAT3035

Bass and vox sound great but the guitars and drums scream metal to my ears!

Is that a bad thing??? haha:headbang:

And after a quick listening session of Blink 182, i believe i definitely need a less gainy guitar tone

UPDATE:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Heroes forTonight/v3/First Impression.mp3

I reamped the guitars using a completely different tone. Instead of using the ms diamondplate, i used the Match Chief head along with the screamer pedal(it sounds super weak without that). This was also my first recording using pod farm instead of the pod xt.

I tried to keep it as low gain as i could, but since they had a breakdown, i couldnt put the gain too low or else it sounded weak.

I also used different tom samples and took out all of the high end boost i had on the kick drum. It's now completely flat except for a high pass and a small cut on the lowend.

I tweaked the bass just a tad, and i tried to get the song slightly louder:lol: gotta love the loudness war

Sounds like Four year strong. I like it.

The kit still sounds a tad metal, but I think it'll work. Guits sound really good. They walk the line between clear and undergained. I think it all fits.

i tried to get the song slightly louder:lol: gotta love the loudness war

Dude, I think you´ve just won.
capturary.jpg

Much better mix!! I'm digging it!! Great work brian, although I know I may sound like an ass, but in the beginning of the breakdown the left guitar seems to be decaying a bit longer or something and it's doing an awful sound, I don't really want to sound like an ass, because you've got an awesome mix, but it's just improvement pointers :) Great job once again