So Cal Bassists

Originally posted by Steph Harris
Just thought I'd share this info: STANLEY CLARKE will be playing at the Galaxy Theater Sun Dec 1. I'll be in WA so I'll miss it :cry:-hopefully I'll be able to catch him again sometime soon. For those of you into upright bass- there will be a bass class Sun Nov 10 @ the Colburn School of Music w/special guest Paul Ellison @ 5:30pm. I can't go to this either 'cause of rehearsal:cry: -but I plan to go to the first bass class after the holidays if I can convince the Maidens to rehearse just a teensy bit earlier that day -Jan 12(I don't know who the guest will be yet)

What's your opinion of Billy Sheehan?

One of my coworkers is a big Jaco fan, and as we get to listen to CDs here at work, we listen to Jaco every so often.

Myself, I also really like Stu Hamm... maybe I will get to see him play someday!

Billy Sheehan: an innovator on bass. He's the first bass player I noticed that integrated a lot of the hammer-on/tapping technique into his regular playing style. I got into his stuff for a while. There's a little Bach piece I like to play using a two handed tapping technique.

Melisan- don't have that Jaco vidoeo you spoke of although it would be interesting to see. The bass is such a versatile instrument -it's hard to keep up with all the latest and greatest for each style of playing (and I think the bass pretty much covers it ALL: classical, jazz, etc. Seems like there is bass in EVERYTHING). That's why I like to hang out / keep in touch in with other bass players: I get to hear about bass stuff I didn't know about before and it helps me keep up w/the latest bass news. :)

Billy Sheehan: an innovator on bass. He's the first bass player I noticed that integrated a lot of the hammer-on/tapping technique into his regular playing style. I got into his stuff for a while...

An innovator for sure. The first D. L. Roth tour with Sheehan, Vai, and Bissonette was insane. Actually Roth really didn't need to be there and kinda wasn't alot of the show... Seeing Sheehan & Vai dual it out on stage neck and neck was quite impressive. I've met Billy and he's an incredibly cool guy. Mr. Big were OK live, but I thought way below his potential. They were nothing remotely close live to that 1st Roth tour, which was also the loudest concert I've been to to this day.

Originally posted by Doodoobubbachuck
Stu Hamm is awesome. I saw him and Steve Smith in the studio recording some tracks for the first Ritchie Kotzen album.....sick sick sick!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Stu's good. I saw Stu with Joe Satriani in San Diego. eric johnson opened up. Awesome show! Ever hear that track 'Lone Star' he did with eric johnson in like '91? :)

Originally posted by CreepingDeathBand
What's your opinion of Billy Sheehan?

See my earlier post for Billy. I also think of John Alderete (Racer X) when I hear someone mention Billy Sheehan. His technique is also great and he had a great bass tone when I saw him live. :OMG:

Just curious (since we are talking about acoustic work)

How many of you are familiar with Jim Matheos' solo works (First Impressions, Away With Words)?

Billy Sheehan: an innovator on bass. He's the first bass player I noticed that integrated a lot of the hammer-on/tapping technique into his regular playing style. I got into his stuff for a while. There's a little Bach piece I like to play using a two handed tapping technique.

I'm a guitar player first and foremost. Last year I went to G3 at the Sun Theatre. The guitarist for the night were:

Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
John Petrucci

I thought Satriani was kind of boring and all Petrucci did was sweep pick all night. Vai was excellent, however the person who captured my interest the most that night was Billy Sheehan.

He was playing all the same leads on bass that Vai was playing! Him and Vai put on an outstanding show and a clinic for people who think you HAVE to play fast to be good. Playing with "feeling", at least to me, is more impressive than sweep picking all night. Both Vai and Sheehan were great and more fun to watch than say, someone like Malmsteen.

To top it off, I met Billy Sheehan earlier this year at the Cat Club in Hollywood and he was the most approachable and down to earth musician I've met in a long time. Hell, we've even exchanged a few emails. Total nice guy and certainly is a great ambassador for musicians.

Geddy Lee, also, is someone I thoroughly enjoy watching playing live.

No. It's been a while since I've seen RUSH. The last time I saw them was a few years after "Moving Pictures". It was unfortunate that I could not see them this time around. However, I heard the new album isn't all that great. I think I heard "One Little Victory" on KLOS a few times and that was it. They stopped playing the new stuff and went back to the staple RUSH tunes.

"However, I heard the new album isn't all that great."

Maybe you should take a trip over to Tower or Virgin, and shell out for it. Then you'll be able to formulate a solid opinion towards Vapor Trails the album, not what people say about it.

It's their best album in a very long time; wait until you hear the tracks "Freeze" and "Earthshine" (those two will not be played on FM radio). Geddy actually SINGS and he plays his [Fender Jazz] bass with a vengeance. Compared to this album, the recording sessions for Test For Echo must have been downright somnambulistic! :)

I repeat: wait until you hear "Freeze." Wait until you just hear the intro. You won't believe they recorded a song like that again! Neil is a madman.

Re: bassists - Tony Levin is a fantastic bassist and Stick player. Billy Sheehan is a sight to behold - I have the Niacin DVD, _Blood, Sweat, and Beers_, and while I'm primarily a keyboards guy, then bass, it's fair to say Billy pretty much steals the show. He can play with anyone. He could stand in for Chris Squire in Yes, or John Myung in Dream Theater. Many people aren't aware of the level of his ability. Incredible!

These postings have evidently taken a slight turn from Wanda's oringinal post, but I just have to mention a personal fave of mine who was a bit obscure. Unfortunately, I was never able to see him live other than a few television broadcasts before his death, but I'm curious if any of you have ever happened to catch a Michael Hedges performance?

The man was definitely a beautiful freak acoustic guitar talent to say the least.

Originally posted by feralkid
"However, I heard the new album isn't all that great."

Maybe you should take a trip over to Tower or Virgin, and shell out for it. Then you'll be able to formulate a solid opinion towards Vapor Trails the album, not what people say about it.

It's their best album in a very long time; wait until you hear the tracks "Freeze" and "Earthshine" (those two will not be played on FM radio). Geddy actually SINGS and he plays his [Fender Jazz] bass with a vengeance. Compared to this album, the recording sessions for Test For Echo must have been downright somnambulistic! :)

I repeat: wait until you hear "Freeze." Wait until you just hear the intro. You won't believe they recorded a song like that again! Neil is a madman.

I did shell out the money for that album. Sadly, I wish I didn't. :p I'm really not impressed with this record.

What do you not like about Vapor Trails? Can you be a little more specific?

There are many Rush fans who like it, but there are quite a few who don't, interestingly enough. I think those who don't like it, now, will like it later.

Personally, I was excited after first hearing MP3s of four songs from the album. Remember that following every four albums, we get a live album from Rush. When the new studio album follows up the live album, the sound & style are drastically different. That goes for A Farewell To Kings, Signals, Presto, and Vapor Trails.

Neil's lyricizing seriously improved on VT, as well. Regard the lyrics on T4E . Compare some of the songs and performances from T4E to VT. Pretty flat & dry-sounding, huh? Geddy sounds like he's talking, not singing, and some of his keyboard lines are pretty lame.

Vapor Trails is great. :)

Originally posted by downure
These postings have evidently taken a slight turn from Wanda's oringinal post, but I just have to mention a personal fave of mine who was a bit obscure. Unfortunately, I was never able to see him live other than a few television broadcasts before his death, but I'm curious if any of you have ever happened to catch a Michael Hedges performance?

The man was definitely a beautiful freak acoustic guitar talent to say the least.

RE: Wanda's initial post - go see Stanley Clarke if you get the chance, you won't be disappointed.
RE: Michael Hedges - one of a kind. I was lucky enough to see him live. It was at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA. Amazing and a truly unique guitarist. I remember reading an atricle with Steve Vai where talks about how much he liked Hedges. Vai said he asked Hedges how many guitar tracks were on this particular song he liked. Hedges said one. Vai was floored. I was saddened by Hedges' death. If you like Hedges guitar style then as far as bassists go, you might like Michael Manring. He did some recording with Hedges and does some different tunings.
http://www.manthing.com/