So Cal Bassists

Yep, this is what happens. The Maidens go Northwest and the rest of us are left here to tear each other apart!

Jaco was a bass god...perhaps THE bass god of his time. I always wanted to hear him in a trio format, with just keyboards and drums, without sax and twenty percussionists, etc.

Originally posted by feralkid
Jaco was a bass god...perhaps THE bass god of his time. I always wanted to hear him in a trio format, with just keyboards and drums, without sax and twenty percussionists, etc.

He did do that. It was the last thing he ever did. Look for a CD called The Brian Melvin Trio titled "Standards Zone." It's Jaco, a drummer and pianist. Their cover of 'So What' is amazing.

Amazon has it as an expensive import. See if you can find it at a local store if you can. It's super.

"However, I heard the new album isn't all that great."

Maybe you should take a trip over to Tower or Virgin, and shell out for it. Then you'll be able to formulate a solid opinion towards Vapor Trails the album, not what people say about it.

It's their best album in a very long time; wait until you hear the tracks "Freeze" and "Earthshine" (those two will not be played on FM radio). Geddy actually SINGS and he plays his [Fender Jazz] bass with a vengeance. Compared to this album, the recording sessions for Test For Echo must have been downright somnambulistic! :)

Maybe, but I can't get "IN" to an album where the first song I hear is sub par. I can download a few songs and give you my feedback later. It probably won't change my mind but for S&G's I'll do it anyway.

Thanks for the 411. I've never heard of that one. I just checked eBay, plenty of the usual but not that (of course). Two other seemingly hard-to-fondle jazz titles I'm seeking are John Abercrombie's "Night" (w/ Jan Hammer) and Tony Williams' "The Joy Of Flying" (w/ Hammer, Hancock, and others).

Originally posted by CreepingDeathBand
Maybe, but I can't get "IN" to an album where the first song I hear is sub par. I can download a few songs and give you my feedback later. It probably won't change my mind but for S&G's I'll do it anyway.

Man, how can you call One Little Victory subpar? That's the ballsiest opening Rush have ever done.

Watching Neil play that part was a treat, too. :)

No kidding. The intro to "One Little Victory" and "Freeze" have more cojones than any other opening to any Rush song since probably _Grace Under Pressure_!

As for not investigating an album due to the opening track...there's a heapin' helpin' of (more) tunes on that album! Oh, well. Your loss. :loco:

Originally posted by Melisan
Man, how can you call One Little Victory subpar? That's the ballsiest opening Rush have ever done.

Watching Neil play that part was a treat, too. :)

Because "One Little Victory" just doesn't do anything for me. But hey, it shouldn't matter what I think. It's just my opinion. If you still diggith RUSH, that's cool. I wouldn't bag on someone for liking the new stuff so I don't see why I *have* to like it too.

I like Rush, but don't have that album and haven't heard it (yet). One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I.E., everybody has different taste. I respect others opinions and enjoy hearing them as well. On a very similar subject, there's the IM voting poll for best song on each album going on. Very interesting to hear what others think. Some I completely disagree with, but hey, my taste is different and I leave it at that.

Originally posted by CreepingDeathBand
Because "One Little Victory" just doesn't do anything for me. But hey, it shouldn't matter what I think. It's just my opinion. If you still diggith RUSH, that's cool. I wouldn't bag on someone for liking the new stuff so I don't see why I *have* to like it too.

Sorry man, didn't mean it to sound that way. I didn't mean you HAD to like it. I was just surprised you didn't, since the album is such a heavy turn for the band after all that keyboard crap from the 80s.

A lot of people have complained about the sound quality of the album, and this link seems to back it up. I'm no engineer, so he could be dead on right or totally off the mark.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

"after all that keyboard crap from the 80s."

'Scuse me???? _Signals_ is my favorite Rush album! A fine balance is achieved between vocals, guitar, bass & synths, and drums - and honestly, it's sounds like the songs were more properly developed to fruition moreso than even _Moving Pictures_. _Signals_ features the best synth lines Geddy ever came up with, and he was still using analog 'boards. Everything would go digital, just about, with _GUP_.

Of course, _2112_ (aka 70s Rush) diehards hate the 80s albums, no doubt.

_Vapor Trails_ is a fantastic album because it sounds INSPIRED, not necessarily because it is devoid of keyboards. However, I will be the first guy to say that Geddy's keyboard lines on _Test For Echo_ pretty much sucked. It was time for him to get back to bass, more bass, and nothing but the bass! :)

And, yeah, _VT_ is heavy; like Jacoby & Meyers say, it was about time!

"after all that keyboard crap from the 80s."

'Scuse me???? _Signals_ is my favorite Rush album! A fine balance is achieved between vocals, guitar, bass & synths, and drums - and honestly, it's sounds like the songs were more properly developed to fruition moreso than even _Moving Pictures_. _Signals_ features the best synth lines Geddy ever came up with, and he was still using analog 'boards. Everything would go digital, just about, with _GUP_.

Well as has been said before, we can agree to disagree. In this case, though, I think you are in the minority. :) Even they were unhappy with the mix. They fired Terry Brown after that album, and he'd produced everything from 2112, I believe.

Power Windows was a great album, but a little too influenced by the times. A friend and long time die hard fan callls PW 'the best Genesis album I ever heard.'

I WILL not, however, say VT is the best Tool album I ever heard (the influence is really obvious). Aenimia still gets that title. :)

"Even they were unhappy with the mix. They fired Terry Brown after that album"

I didn't mean it so much aurally/sonically, but the playing itself, relative to the compositions. I don't understand why they were so cramped over the mix - why didn't they fire him after _Moving Pictures_? I remember reading all this stuff about how the guitar took a back seat to the synths, but I don't agree with that. And you know I'm right. :lol:

"A friend and long time die hard fan callls PW 'the best Genesis album I ever heard.'"

Uh, well, the songs don't resemble Genesis. What your friend insinuates is that the album bears that "80s" production that every prog band, from Saga to Genesis to Yes to Jethro Tull, was afflicted with, during that time. I shouldn't say affliction, but the production on those bands' mid/late-80s albums was due to advances in new (digital) technology that was making everything sound very clean, but at the expense of warmth (you, I, and Uncle Amos know all of this already, tho).

"I WILL not, however, say VT is the best Tool album I ever heard (the influence is really obvious)."

It isn't exactly Tool, per se, but the entire modern, or "nu" scene in rock/metal: "dirty" guitar sound, overloud drums, and buzzy, chunky bass. And as the album proves, it works for Rush. :)

It isn't exactly Tool, per se, but the entire modern, or "nu" scene in rock/metal: "dirty" guitar sound, overloud drums, and buzzy, chunky bass. And as the album proves, it works for Rush. :)

Did you read that link I posted from the recording engineer who blasts that trend in LOUD albums? It's a very technical read so he could be speaking in Japanese for all I know. But to a point I agree, everything is too loud these days. It works for Andrew WK, it doesn't fit Rush.

I can't wait for Steph's reaction when she comes home and sees how we've hijacked this thread. :lol:

Well, yeah, I know what you mean, it works for Andrew "What Krap" and Korny and Limp Bisquick and all those groups. Not all of the songs on VT really sound like that, but Geddy's bass IS much more pronounced, and Neil's drums sounded back in the mix on T4E, compared to VT.

No, loudness isn't everything.

Speaking of Andrew W.K., he gets my vote for single worst musical artist/act today. That's some crap that guy pumps out. Who the hell buys that?

I work at Wherehouse Music. I haven't personally seen a copy of the Andrew WK disc sell for months. The first month or so that it was out earlier this summer did okay, but since then it hasn't sold for shit. Along with that, I'm commonly seeing quite a few people trading in their Bizkit and Linkin Park discs. And shame on them for buying them in the first place. Ha!

New or old though, I really don't see any much Rush stuff come back to the store. NO MAIDEN has come back other than a "Man on the Edge" single... and that's just fine and dandy. It's been there forever and still hasn't sold. :lol:

Personally, Rush from the 70's was the best. Their most under-rated album is "Caress Of Steel". The Epic Song, "The Fountain Of Lamneth" is the best Rush ever. There was no worry about radio play or record sales, it was purely about the music. Listen to Panacea real loud in the dark or semi-dark sometime with no other distractions. Nothing Rush ever did after Moving Pictures comes close to "Caress Of Steel"!