So how did you guys know when the time was right to charge?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
hey guys, as the thread title really. How did you all decide when you are actually good enough to do local work and the like, and take on jobs that you were going to be paid for? Im interested in this, as it is the sort of thing i'd hope to be contemplating in several years time- basically how did you make it from the bedroom to your own little building and into taking on work etc!

discuss!

Kev

I got an internship at a local studio and then started telling bands that I was a producer. Someone will believe you sooner or later.

I'm setting up to do powwow drum groups. First session will be free, then I told them that if they like the results and want to do more then it will be like $250 per day, with at least one day (8-10 hours spread over a few days, actually) of mixing.

It's pretty simple since I found out that most of these guys are paying a lot more than that for results that I could easily surpass, even with my lack of pro status.

And, actually, the fact that I am not charging a whole lot is making them nervous :lol:

Yeah, basically when people are willing to pay you. I've had my share of sessions as a student and I've been approached by some bands who want me to do work with them in my own time.

The first band just wants a mixing job done, and I made it clear that I'd need compensation to cover time. Because any half decent mix is going to take a few days.

The second band is one I've worked with in the past, for free, but now they've come back and are planning to do a full album.

Basically I think the paid work should start finding you once your other work preceeds you and people think your abilities are worth financing.

A lot of people are willing to pay me, but I don't have the facilities (yet) to properly record a full band. Even when I do, I still may hog it for my own projects rather than produce projects by other people. The tradeoff is that I have to do graphic design to pay the bills, but at least when I work on music it's always MY music.

You could start by showing off your own recordings and start a reputation. After my equipment, and experience with compression, mic placement, and other studio tricks (Mixing Engineers Handbook!) got better, the demos were sounding better! I started out at $100 a song. That way it makes it affordable to anyone, and if the artist likes your work, they'll come back! And you've got an ALBUM to produce! You have to earn a reputation with good sounding stuff! You'll be suprized, after having potential clients hear one good production, they start getting in line for you! One thing I have learned is never give out anything until your 100% happy with your master! Assuming your not sending a mix off for master. The band will beg you every day for a copy! Let them hear it on your monitors, but don't burn 'em nothin! I always throw the shitty CD mixes away, after I have taken notes! Once someone hears the shitty version, it's over. They burn it off for friends and everyone is judging your unfinished work. Fuck that! Play it in the car, ghetto blaster, home system, and get it sounding good on everything, then give the band their copy!

I don't mind burning the band a work-in-progress as something to jam along to at home. I mean, anything to help them get tighter when they're actually in the studio. They do have a tendancy to show it around to everyone, which is irritating, but once the final mix gets out, that's all forgotten about.

personally I'm currently working on three projects for free to get some different references but as soon as they are done I'm gonna start charging the bands that want to record with me.

... did loads of recording for bands i've been in, eventually a couple of people asked if i could do it for them.

so i said i'd do a track for free and then if they liked it then they could book me for money..... they did!!! Word of mouth then helped a crap load and i started "borrowing" bands from the established local studio.... Think that was the point that i thought maybe i could do this full time.

so far i've spent all the money i've ernt from it on new gear and my new premises, fingers crossed it's going quite well.... just had my second lot of work from a major label yesterday so i'm working my ass off going to shows arround england trying to sell my self to bands.

it really is shoking how many bands are paying CRAZY ENORMOUSE money for shitty demos and tracks... criminal infact.... i do it on a per track basis not hour/day and if the band doesn't like it they dont pay.... they also dont take a copy from the studio till it's done/money has been paid! For 2 reasons.... i'm in a band and know how hard it is to get money out of drummers ;) and, like you guys have said, i hate it when people take your monitor mixes away and come back with "it sounds pretty good but is dead quiet compared to the radio in my mates car can you fix that?".... ARGH!?!?!?..... OR even worse.... put unfinished stuff on myspace with my name on it, AND NEVER CHANGE IT

C

I've recorded several demos for local bands and charged for it...
But the amounts are laughable, and honestly - partially are the recordings as well. ;) I spent most of the time trying to fit in-the-box guitar sounds (recorded distorted sound from a stompbox and then processed it with some amp sim) within the mix, which is almost impossible when there are a few playing at the same time...

I really have no facilities to record a decent miked amp, so I get around in any way possible... People are satisfied though, that's the most important thing for me. :)

Shit...when someone is willing to pay you without you misleading them.

haha i got paid for recording like a year ago when i knew absolutely nothing. it was these kids like 3 grades younger than me. I got it recorded and "mixed" and it sounded terrible but they didnt care, and besides i did like 12 short gay songs for like 40 bucks anyway. Since about last august I've been on ths forum and others like it learning like crazy, and have since stopped charging for bands that i know/am friend with because most of them are actually decent and I enjoy doing it for them,but if a band that i didnt know wanted to record i charge like 15 bucks an hour or sometimes by the job. All of my friends have just ended up giving me like 50 bucks every song anyway cuz they like the stuff and know that im giving 100%. most bands will pay for recording no matter who you are or what you've done before, but yea you usually have to start by playing yourself/ your services way up

You allways have to charge for your job. What´s the point to study, buy gear, study some more, work as a teaboy for someone else and then work for free?

Always charge a honest amount of money, never more, never less.

Be careful when doing crappy stuff for a buck, ´cause it´s YOUR NAME in there, people will jugde you by your work.

I got an internship at a local studio and then started telling bands that I was a producer. Someone will believe you sooner or later.
Thats precisely what i did!! lol
and i helped build the studio a while ago..

I don't charge for recording cause well I am nowhere near there. But as a bass player I do charge for any shows and sessions that's not my own band. It's gotta be easier to ask for cash for a service such as recording than it is bass. Most bands think you wanna play/be in their band and it's a privilage. Plus some muscians will do it for free. Though some of the bands are very cool and fun to play and be around, they aren't mine. That's what it comes down to. Any how, as a bass player or in your case recording guy, you get enough work and word of mouth under your belt where either someone is going to ask you how much you charge, then you can start charging,... or you'll have to take a shot at telling someone you charge and see if they bite. That's my two bits. I've done been through both. Though it's akward at first, the more you do it, the more you realize you are worth it because it's happening. Also, don't forget the barter system. Not a good stystem to live off of, but it's helped me out a few times when I've played or recorded for someone in exchange for them doing the same for me or some other service.

I've been in the midst of doing my first paid production. It's hip hop but I can't complain really. I wouldn't have asked to be paid- what happened is I did a track for free and he came back a week later saying he'd pay me to do more. I don't feel I'm really anywhere near a professional level so I charge accordingly. It's hard to feel guilty when the time to money ratio ends up at around minimum wage :)

So yeah, as others have said- when people are willing to pay haha.