So, how long did it take you to get used to a 7 string?

The only time I have a bit of a problem is when doing the upstroke on arpeggios...I tend to get lost because of that extra string. :lol: Other then that, I didn't even really notice much of a difference.

I've never owned one, so I only play them whenever I'm hanging with a friend who owns one - but really, the only thing that throws me off is remembering to shift up a position when I hit the 6th string (B), rather than the 5th :loco:

Well, I only played a 6-string guitar for 1,5 years before I went for a 7-stringer, and I've used nothing but 7-string guitars for the past 8,5 years :lol: But my first 7-stringer was a Jackson DX7 which has quite a thin neck for a 7-stringer, so that helped. But there's not a big change from 6-string guitars, overall.

No time. I just played on it like I would have on a 6 stringed guitar, but still I don't do a lot of sweep arpeggios and the like.

It took me very little time, even with big chords and arpeggios. You'll quickly lose interest, though, if you view it as 'just a six string with something tacked on' - if you have no reason to use the extra range, you'll move away from it.

Jeff

It seems like 7 strings are all hype. Very few musicians, IMO, use it to their advantage. idk. I'm probably completely wrong. It just seems like a way to get br00tal l0ws.

There are soooo many benefits to a 7 string guitar compared to a 6 string as long as you don't exclusively use it just to play pitches.....that is when it gets lame

Within an about an hour of my bolting the neck on my Ibanez, I had already figured out how to play the C Major, G Major, D Major, A Major and E major scales using the low B string. About 2 days later, I'd gotten used to a lot of modal runs using the low B string and a bunch of 7 string chords and various arpeggiated stuff.
As Jbroll said, the trick isn't to view it as a 6 string guitar with an extra string.............view it as a 7 string, which is what it is, an instrument that opens up more possibilities.
It's not just an extra 4 notes, but you now also have another 22/24 positions (depending on whether it's a 22 or 24 fret guitar) to play with.
Play a 3 octave G major scale on a 6 string starting from the 3rd fret of the low E, and then, grab your 7 and play a G Major scale starting from the 8th fret of the low B string and you'll see what I mean. It is SO much easier to it on a 7 string, because you no longer need to make a stupidly large position shift to hit that G note on the 15th fret of the high E

I've never understood the "lower strings for teh brootalz" mentality. If I wanted low end chug and low end chug only, I would have just bought a fucking six string and tuned it down to B. But what I wanted was extra range.
To me, the 7 string is the perfect instrument for the soloist too because you've now got so many extra positions at your disposal. I use my 7 string for low end chug as much as I do 3 octave scalar patterns.

I'm just fine trying to wrap my mind around 6 strings, I don't need another one fucking up the mix. I think they are awesome though, and the guys that use them with skill do some cool stuff with them.

About 10 years ago a friend of mine let me borrow his Ibanez 7 string for a week while he went on vacation. I didn't want to give it back after the week was over, so I went and bought an Ibanez 7 string the day before he came back. It really didn't take any getting used to and I've been a 7 string guitarist ever since.

These days I play a Jeff Loomis 7 string, although it would be cool to have an Ibanez RG7 in mahogany with an ebony board and EMGs (I wish they made this.)