How long did it take you to learn to drive and pass your test?

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Last year I learnt for a good 3 months but then University hit and I was straight out of money :lol: , so I had to stop learning. But I've finished now until october and ideally would like to be driving by then, realistic goal?

How long did it take you?
I'd probably be doing about an hour a week

Do the yanks count here, driving automatic is obviously nowhere near as hard as stick :lol:

I kid you not, I was driving a manual transmission vehicle within 20 minutes when I was 14 years old. Best advice I can give you is to not overthink it. It's not that difficult.

I learned on a manual and still drive (a different) one. It took a couple of months to learn and pass the test but I understand that the tests here are a joke compared to Europe (although that hasn't been reflected by the UK/European driving I've seen).

Yep, US cars are almost all automatic.

It's actually not a bad thing, dunno why we don't all have auto cars. It's actually impractical to have a manual car if you think of it. It's not difficult, but still, stupid.

But yet, automatic cars feel strange to me. It's like, they don't accelerate well, and react illogical at some situations whereas in manual you can control everything.

That's why race cars are manual, even if you can pass the speeds with only a button.

I remember when I had my final practical test for it
Before this I was never so nervous, the week before my test I was really going insane, during the test it wasn't that bad
Few hours later after passing it I had some seriously extreme pain in my back / behind my lungs and the night was super horrible because of growing pain and weird stuff I imagined while still being awake because of all the stress of that day... incredible

Yep, US cars are almost all automatic.

It's actually not a bad thing, dunno why we don't all have auto cars. It's actually impractical to have a manual car if you think of it. It's not difficult, but still, stupid.

But yet, automatic cars feel strange to me. It's like, they don't accelerate well, and react illogical at some situations whereas in manual you can control everything.

That's why race cars are manual, even if you can pass the speeds with only a button.

Automatic repairs are MUCH more expensive, including the transmission :erk:

It took me forever to learn manual, because I started with an automatic. I'd say 2-3 months of stalling 1-2 times each trip. One time, at the stop sign next to my house at 2 AM, I stalled twenty something times. I wanted to leave the car and just walk home.

My first vehicle was a ford F-100 3 on the tree manual.

That said, yeah most of our cars are automatic transmission.

Took me a month behind the wheel before my test, but only because it took that long to get a test. Of course this is before all those stupid fucking rules NY decided to put in place.

Took me ~2 months

That's why I think manuals are better, you have more control of the car.
I specially need to have control of the acceleration of the car, always! :lol: with an automatic it's just...weird...I suposse here it's not so usual so we're not used to it.

I did mine a couple of months ago. Started last october on and off, and then took my first test in january. So you USA guys get an idea of europe regulations, I failed my first test because when i did a reverse parallel park, my car nose was sticking out into the road very slightly. He enjoyed failing me too, the cunt.

So as soon as I got home, i immediately rebooked and passed in february. Got a decent enough run around at the moment, but christ on a bike, the petrol prices even on a 1.2 are colossal!

If you want funny though, my sis has a gay friend who took his test 8 times and finally passed :lol:

I couldn't tell you how long it took but I could drive as soon as I could reach the pedal. When I couldn't reach it mom would do it for me and I would take the wheel. Passed the test like nothing the first time.

Öwen;9123013 said:
Do the yanks count here, driving automatic is obviously nowhere near as hard as stick :lol:

then gtfo brits. like you even have any where where you can open up on a road and drive a REAL car 110 on a back road