So I just integrated an analog console into my setup...

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
and I have a couple of questions.

Its a 16 channel Soundcraft Spirit studio from around late 80s / early 90s I think. I'm using it for some extra channels to track through and for analog summing. I don't want to mix entirely on it as its fairly limited in the fact it doesn't have any subgroups and I definitely end up needing more than 16 channels during mixdown.

My question is, should I monitor directly out of my interface or through the console. I tried both today and tried running straight out of my fireface's line-outs as well as sending those to two empty channels on the console and monitoring through the consoles main L+R outs.

I noticed an immediate difference running through the console and I liked it more, the low end felt more defined, the track felt wider and it was definitely warmer but I don't know if I should be listening to this during mixing as it makes things sound better :lol

When I'm summing through it I'll be tracking the main outs back into protools to bounce the mix so it shouldn't make a difference which end I am listening to as the only difference would be another stage of AD/DA.

Anyone doing something similar? I need some advice!

Also on a side note, I did a quick AB recording of the soundcraft pres and the fireface pres, and the soundcrafts annihilated them! So much warmer and coloured which is exactly what I've been needing!

Thoughts guys?

I also have another one of these consoles so I can run 32 channels if need be but I need another 6 outs to be able to run that. I'm happy with things at the moment though!

Maybe sum the drums to analogue, see if it makes a different to the mix?
Try individual instruments to make them sound less digital.
Just listen to the mix & try decide which element needs some analogue grit

My question is, should I monitor directly out of my interface or through the console. I tried both today and tried running straight out of my fireface's line-outs as well as sending those to two empty channels on the console and monitoring through the consoles main L+R outs.
Probably just as well to monitor straight off the console for tracking and mixing if you are then going to take the output of the console to a daw for printing the final mixes. Otherwise if you monitor straight through the daw coming from the console, you could run into latency problems when tracking and then again have to deal with hearing through the extra set of ad/da's which will probably give you a slightly more veiled sound.

Got a simliar setup myself recently. Got a 32 channel, 8 bus Hill Audio Concept 4400. Had it about a month or so but haven't properly used it yet besides running some tests. I'm planning on using it for mixing more so than tracking since I can't track drums in the house I'm using it in and there's no way I can take it with my when I go to the room I use for drums( took 4 of us to lift it into the house!) I can't really make full use of the mixer till I get a proper cable loom and upgrade my interface (still using 2 firepods). I'm also using this time to get some quality outboard comps to start bringing the whole process more out of the box.
I'll be sticking the main outs of the mixer into 2 channels of my interface and then monitoring through the interface. If I'm tracking through it I'll be using the direct outs into the interface and monitoring off the interface in that situation too.
I like the idea if using a console since I've been making a living as a live engineer for the last few years. All the routing and feel of hands on a desk comes naturally to me.