So I think I f#$%ed up.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
I bought a dual G5. Problem is I bought an early 05 model and it has PCI slots as well as being limited to only 4 gigs of RAM vs. 8 with the new (not that I need it but you know).

Should I return it to him (have 7 days) and get a later model dual G5 with PCIe slots? Or should I just not worry about it. There is also (I think) a difference in what kind of RAM each would take, older one is SDRAM and newer is DDR.

Both processors are identical in front side buss configuration so I don't think there is a difference at all.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me to go intel, but with software upgrades I just don't have the money to do it. Plus an intel macpro is way out of my budget.

Dunno, I'm not an expert but if it was for 80 bugs only I guess I'd have gone PCIe from the start already.
BTW: Just visited your Studio MySpace. There's some cool tunes on there.

Capacity is not really an issue as he is using Cubase (max. 4 GB) iirc but speed surely is and I didn't take that into consideration in my last post. So yes, go for the faster one! :)
BTW: How much is a Dual G5 these days? Mac Pro are so über fuckin' expensive it ain't funny... :(

For $80, goddamn, why not? However, I am curious as to what need you expect to have for PCIe slots; planning on getting a PTHD system some time soon? :lol: