So I'm listening to Atomic Soul...

raythetse

Where am I?
Jun 17, 2005
And so far my immediate raction is "Wow, it doesn't sound like Russel Allen..."

I seriously don't think I would have recognized it was him if i didn't know it was his album I was listening too. I mean listening closely I can hear its him, but if I wasn't aware of it already... i would probably have no clue. Pretty cool so far, though I'm actually only in the middle of track 3, but its really cool to hear him do such different stuff than Symphony X brand stuff.

will post again when i'm through it all.

on to track 8 now... sounds like foreigner haha! reminds me very much of Hot Blooded.

okay finished now, atomic soul (the track) sound like deep purple to me, reminds me of highway star.

great album, cool stuff great job russel allen and all who took part!

Ya know, the Foreigner/Deep Purple comparisons came to mind for me, too (especially to the Foreigner song "Dirty White Boy")...I also thought of ZZ Top at one point.

I <3 Atomic Soul. I love how Mr. Allen does straight up rock'n'roll, granted there are hints of metal throughout the album. But isn't that what Allen was going for, an album geared more towards his classic rock influences?

NegativeVolume said:
I <3 Atomic Soul. I love how Mr. Allen does straight up rock'n'roll, granted there are hints of metal throughout the album. But isn't that what Allen was going for, an album geared more towards his classic rock influences?

yeah someone pointed out an article with an interview with RA on this board recently and he said he wanted to go more raock and blues than to do the metal thing cuz metal is why we have symphony x.

although i am a metal head, i think its a cool album, and of course russ is a great vocalist anyway!

Great vocalist is an under statement ;)

This album does kick alot of ass! But if you listen to symphony X enough and some other songs by other bands that Russell Sang in (ayreon: THe universal Migrator) you see the resemblance... its not hard to tell its im! At least IMO

proulxski said:
Great vocalist is an under statement ;)

This album does kick alot of ass! But if you listen to symphony X enough and some other songs by other bands that Russell Sang in (ayreon: THe universal Migrator) you see the resemblance... its not hard to tell its im! At least IMO

idduno man, i have 4 symphony x disks in my changer in my car and i drive a lot... i'm pretty used to allen's voice, and it still struck me as rather different on this album... maybe just cuz i'm not used to listening to this style of music...

at any rate, great IS an understatement, i agree with you there, but i dind't wanna use up 12gb of server space just to write down all the compliments the guy deserves :D

On The Battle, I actually had a hard time distinguishing between Allen and Lande--so I see what you mean.

dusro2 said:
sounds like him to me...

OMG LIKE NO YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!!

j/k, let me adjust what i was saying a bit. it sounds "like him" to me, as in similar, but still, easily different enough i wouldn't have known or even thought it was him(except at a few obvious moments) if it came on the radio or was playing somewhere and i heard it.

When I first heard atomic soul (the song) I laughed. It sounded so funny compared to the symX stuff, mainly cos to me it sounded like a modernised oldschool 50's/60's rock song....whenever the first rock was around, I dunno. Definately good stuff, but it didnt really do anything for me.

Eternal Dragon said:
When I first heard atomic soul (the song) I laughed. It sounded so funny compared to the symX stuff, mainly cos to me it sounded like a modernised oldschool 50's/60's rock song....whenever the first rock was around, I dunno. Definately good stuff, but it didnt really do anything for me.

Personally, that 60's stuff is what I tend to have on in my car when I don't have a CD in.

I'm wondering...has anybody been able to get a radio station in their area to play it? I don't mean satellite radio, I mean the "real" kind. I've been thinking, a classic rock station might possibly take it...