I'm listening to Burzum hildskjalf

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
And despite what anyone says this album is brilliant. I don't care what you say. It may not be the great black metal stuff but the music is amazing...Varg doesn't have the equipment to make the black metal available for him in a jailcell so he does it all with a keyboard. This music is brilliant and so far i'm going to say his greatest effort musically....while i enjoy Det Som Et Gang Var a lot it's not a musical masterpiece like this album has been so far. The thrill of this album so far is extremely break taking and powerful, any musician can't deny that.

I downloaded it at first just to check it out, i'm definately going to have to purchase this album :)

Indeed...i wonder who will disagree...i know ignorant black metallers who think anything that doesn't sound like it did 10 years ago is lame. But then again it's hard to adapt sometimes to a different sound...but this album was so great and like you said the atmosphere is killer.

ShadowOfDeath said:
Varg doesn't have the equipment to make the black metal available for him in a jailcell so he does it all with a keyboard.

Not true. If he had wanted to, I'm sure he would get what equipment he would need for making black metal. Thing is, he didn't want to. In various interviews, he claims that the guitar is a non-arian instrument, and that using the keyboard for creating music is the only thing that would suit his ideology.

I agree that its better than Daudi Baldrs, its doesnt sound as 1980's midi electronic style. Which just sounds a bit too thin, thats not to say i dont like the actually music. Hlidskjalf is not my favourite, but i listen to it as much as Det Som En Gang Var and Filosofem. Expected since Burzum is favourite of mine anyway.

henrikmain said:
Not true. If he had wanted to, I'm sure he would get what equipment he would need for making black metal. Thing is, he didn't want to. In various interviews, he claims that the guitar is a non-aryan instrument, and that using the keyboard for creating music is the only thing that would suit his ideology.

Agreed. He stopped making because the black metal scene was dying out combined with his new belief that guitar music is really for black people... or there abouts. Or so various internet reports claim.

I have to disagree with him on that last point, even very loyal fans on the Burzum boards would disagree with him on that point. Personally, i see black metal has more in common with classical (and other genres that are pseudo-classical) than blues or jazz, or the other guitar music that is more influenced by african americans. Classical being predominantly created by 'Aryans', unless of course i've overlooked something. His logic seems a little messed.

yea i think black metal would have close ties with classical..thats why it sounds so god damn good together...plus its the kind of music for the time period they like to focus on..for maybe some bands like the medieval times and stuff..plus classical music can be very dark and eerie..almost ritual and cultic

henrikmain said:
Not true. If he had wanted to, I'm sure he would get what equipment he would need for making black metal. Thing is, he didn't want to. In various interviews, he claims that the guitar is a non-arian instrument, and that using the keyboard for creating music is the only thing that would suit his ideology.
actually, according to an article I read, Varg wasnt allowed a guitar in his jail cell and thats why he only used keyboards in those albums

Donnie Darko said:
actually, according to an article I read, Varg wasnt allowed a guitar in his jail cell and thats why he only used keyboards in those albums
exactly what i heard. But it baffles me why he can use a keyboard in his cell but not guitar, even if it was an acoustic guitar or something, also how did varg manage to record some of the later albums while in jail? Was he allowed recording equipment? I'm not sure what jails/prisons(especially in europe) allow and do not allow as i've never been to one. All i know is they are more lieniant with people there then many years ago, some have TVs, some have libraries, computers, whatever. At least in US that's what i heard about prisons. I'm not so sure.

ShadowOfDeath said:
exactly what i heard. But it baffles me why he can use a keyboard in his cell but not guitar, even if it was an acoustic guitar or something, also how did varg manage to record some of the later albums while in jail? Was he allowed recording equipment? I'm not sure what jails/prisons(especially in europe) allow and do not allow as i've never been to one. All i know is they are more lieniant with people there then many years ago, some have TVs, some have libraries, computers, whatever. At least in US that's what i heard about prisons. I'm not so sure.
Yea I was quite curious why he was allowed a keyboard but not a guitar. Maybe guitar strings could be used to strangle someone but a keyboard can do some damage too. Jails in Norway are definitly more lenient then in America. In Norway, the maximum amount of time a prisoner can get I think is 21 years when in America there can be multiple life sentences. Also in Norway, prisoners get let out for a day. I heard that when Varg got let out for a day he tried to escape but failed.

Donnie Darko said:
Yea I was quite curious why he was allowed a keyboard but not a guitar. Maybe guitar strings could be used to strangle someone but a keyboard can do some damage too. Jails in Norway are definitly more lenient then in America. In Norway, the maximum amount of time a prisoner can get I think is 21 years when in America there can be multiple life sentences. Also in Norway, prisoners get let out for a day. I heard that when Varg got let out for a day he tried to escape but failed.
Yeah he tried. Some people could use the keyboard to hit someone over the head with also. Then again with a guitar in jail it would be hard, how would he get new picks, strings etc...i don't know how the prison system works really

I agree this album is flat out brillant. The layering is phenominal, and the music is stunning. Varg did an excellent job of putting his emotions across on this album. Nothing short of a masterpiece. I really think its people's unintelgence that gives this album such a bad name, cuz at the very least one should say "its not for me" cuz its undeniably brillant.