So Jason Rullo is quite a drummer

Porcupine Trees drummer is pretty slick.

Agreed, but PT itself doesn't really have a style that lets it come out, you know? Though isn't he in King Crimson now, too? If they released a new record with two drummers again, it could be quite interesting, to say the least.

yeah, PT isnt totally for me, too much on the lethargic side but I dont see where that holds him down

:lol:...yet he's still playing things with PT that are sicker than just about anyone else out there. If playing in PT is suppressing something in him, I think I'd almost be afraid to hear it.

Really? Maybe I just have to go back and listen to PT more (I don't particularly enjoy them), but the drumming never really jumped out at me the way it does with some bands.

Gavin from PT is a fantastic drummer - he never actually played anything like prog rock before joining the band, he was, from memory doing session work as a jazz drummer. Which explains why he's so good ;).

Hmmm... I generally try to avoid comparing drummers for their skill sets (except when people try to do stupid things like compare Travis Barker to Virgil Donati). I love Mike Portnoy's drumming, no matter what anyone else, but I would much rather listen to Jason play, regardless of whether he is *technically* a better drummer than Mike or not. That shouldn't matter to people :).

His attention to detail is spot on, I wish *I* could play as musically as Jason does. He's got such a great ear for the music. Maybe I should be trying to learn every Symphony X song in the discography note for note, I might just learn something :).

I'm totally not a fan of PT, but Harrison is a great drummer with excellent technique and a good sense of rhythm, as is evident on their live DVDs. I'm curious what he can show now that he's playing with King fucking Crimson.

Well Rolling Stone Magazine names the 100 Greatest Drummers and Jason is on the list at 65

http://listology.com/list/rolling-stone100-greatest-drummers

No Gavin though

A lot of lists on that site are fake, and I think that one is too. A commenter stated that there's no rolling stones official list and a google search brings up nothing credible. I doubt that there would be a list of greatest drummers and Buddy Rich would not be on it.

A lot of lists on that site are fake, and I think that one is too. A commenter stated that there's no rolling stones official list and a google search brings up nothing credible. I doubt that there would be a list of greatest drummers and Buddy Rich would not be on it.

Ah! Missed Buddy there...Oopps..Ignore the list then..LOL

Ur nuts! it's a good list... Well Jason should be higher!

It's a bad list for the simple reason that the criteria seems to be the band popularity instead of the drummer's aptitudes. Slipknot's drummer before Jason Rullo is one of many examples.

It's a bad list for the simple reason that the criteria seems to be the band popularity instead of the drummer's aptitudes. Slipknot's drummer before Jason Rullo is one of many examples.

Yes... but for Symphony X to be above Blink 182 is good. :headbang: You see Jason is less popular then Travis... but he is BETTER... and obviously the people agree!

Rullo's about my favorite drummer. So musical, fluid, technical, and diverse. His skill set is obvious listening to the band, he definitely has a jazz/latin background that shows up every now and then in his playing. Hands down smokes Portnoy. World class. Super underrated, and theres intricacies that I pick up in his playing years later, having heard these tunes a hundred times I still pick up little things that I never heard before.

Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree is simply phenomenal. For those who don't like the melodramatic side of Porcupine Tree, and want to see Gavin Harrison just destroy the skins- http://www.myspace.com/gavinharrison05ric . Interesting stuff, some really deep groove, phenomenal chops, and his approach is second to none.

That top 100 list is a joke. Jon Fishman being ranked so low, and Buddy Rich not being present make it null and void. (Yes, the drummer for Phish is absolutely World class, I regard him as the most underrated drummer going.)

I cant see how anybody "smokes" Portnoy, hes quite guilty of over playing in my opinion but that amounts to at least 90% of metal, jazz and fusion drummers.

I still think Bonzo had it right, less is more, Mitchell was amazing in his day but tireing

Ringo Starr ands Charlie Watts, now that is funny, I know I just said less is more but give me a break those two did nothing but give steady 4 counts.

Also apparently every body that ever drummed for Zappa was great... duh, or they would not have been drumming for him but who the hell knows their names ?

Never liked Kieth Moon another spazoid

I cant see how anybody "smokes" Portnoy, hes quite guilty of over playing in my opinion but that amounts to at least 90% of metal, jazz and fusion drummers.

Its one thing to overplay. Its one thing to overplay with the same 5 tricks in your toolbag, rehash them over and over, refuse to learn anything new, Never get any better(If anything, he's regressed since I&W/Awake in the Quality control dept), and repeat for 15 years. That's how Portnoy gets smoked.

I dont dissect drumming but I thought he had calmed down since the early days. Am also quite surprised to find out he only has 5 tricks, image that into words