So my band just broke up....and I don't know what to do with myself.

Dude, you're what, 17? You've got your whole life ahead of you (and I know that sounds lame, and I'm only 21, but I feel like I've grown up EXPONENTIALLY since I graduated high school, so bear with me), and the fact that you're the one with most of the musical ideas should be incredibly inspirational to you! I mean, about a year and a half ago, I had a bit of a revelation, that I had too much talent at and too much of a love for writing music to not try my hardest to pursue it; I owed it to myself, and I realized that it would be the only way I could see myself truly being fulfilled in life (and inversely, would result in an incomprehensible midlife crisis if I never did; I tend to think of these things, believe it or not o_O ). So what I have done since is just continued writing and recording my own material, honing my craft, and when I find a person or group of people that I think I click with, I've got a huge amount of material already prepared, and more importantly have practiced the most difficult and important step: the writing of the music in the first place.
So in short, dude, I recommend just writing and recording your own riffs, putting programmed drums to 'em, and making full songs for your own enjoyment. You have PLENTY of time to find new band members, and I STRONGLY suggest going to college to aid in this, simply because it's a new environment with all-new people your age who you can potentially form great musical bonds with (I don't necessarily mean a music college, any college). I know it seems hard now that you feel you guys had such potential and now its lost, but believe me, there's so many people and so much ahead of you, I hardly think you have anything to worry about. Just focus on making yourself better, so you can be ready when the moment comes! :headbang:

+10000

I did the same: had tons of ideas and expectations with a new band i've started (after being fully dedicated to another band for 3 years, and then no band for a year), broke up after 3 months, and now i'm in the "solo mode", writing a lotta songs, practicing the guitars, programming the bass & drums parts, recording, producing, mixing, and improving at all of this, and seriously i cannot be more happy with it.
When i'd be like "ok let's start a new band" all this experience from this "solo" period will help me a lot.

The most important part here is not loosing good song ideas and being able to write stuff, record/program it, re-work on it later, ON YOUR OWN, whereas when you're in a band and don't know how to do the songwriting/recording/producing thing yourself, once the band breaks up you're FUCKED.
And then again, once you play in real band again, all this "solo" work will be really helpful.

My Band also broke up two weeks ago, I bought all the recording stuff to record a demo and now I don't have a Band anymore (funny, isn't it? )
It sucks to lose a band, especially, if you put a lot of effort in it, but live goes on, you will find another band and you'll come over it :)
Btw, the first song kicks ass :headbang:

My band haven't broken up yet, but we're not gigging at all. I'm contemplating throwing in the towel because we've been at this for about a year now. We have some really strong material, and everyone, EVERYONE who has heard it has said how cool it is, and they all sounded genuine. We just can't find a vocalist at all, it's the most frustrating thing. Problem is now our drummer's off doing other stuff, so if we don't get stuff done soon, we're gonna lose him, I know it.

You obviously have the upper hand if this stuff is your writing, man, it's AWESOME stuff. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Yeah, it sucks, but bigger and better things lie in your future if you keep it up, man. Just don't lose your chops and you'll be absolutely fine.

Keep tearing it up, dude!

+10000

I did the same: had tons of ideas and expectations with a new band i've started (after being fully dedicated to another band for 3 years, and then no band for a year), broke up after 3 months, and now i'm in the "solo mode", writing a lotta songs, practicing the guitars, programming the bass & drums parts, recording, producing, mixing, and improving at all of this, and seriously i cannot be more happy with it.
When i'd be like "ok let's start a new band" all this experience from this "solo" period will help me a lot.

The most important part here is not loosing good song ideas and being able to write stuff, record/program it, re-work on it later, ON YOUR OWN, whereas when you're in a band and don't know how to do the songwriting/recording/producing thing yourself, once the band breaks up you're FUCKED.
And then again, once you play in real band again, all this "solo" work will be really helpful.

Amen dude, glad someone appreciated my heartfelt story ;)

You could take the Dave Mustaine / Jeff Waters approach. They are Megadeth / Annihilator personified. If you are the one with the creative ideas Start your own band and make it clear that YOU are the heart and soul of the band and the other member are, while being valuable and contributing, are expendable. This is how it works in my band. I might sound cold and arrogant but it doesn't have to come off like that.

Your determination WILL pay off in then end.

I've been trying to work on my vocals. I recorded part of a little song through a drum mic into a mixer (recorded from the headphone out)

haha, it sounds weak though. It's probably a combination of my sucky voice and the bad setup doesn't help either. Anyways, listen if you care, and tell me how bad I am. Oh well, maybe in a few years it'll improve or something. I did just wake up, so my voice is kind of sucking, but my parents are only gone for a little longer, so i had to hurry up and do this.

http://media.putfile.com/Dickforce-Vocal-Attempt

Mixing vocals is fun though.

Don't know what you should do with yourself?

Uhmmm.... first thoughts... take up masturbation as a profession? Warning though, there's lots of competitors in the marketplace.