So Symphony X's Paradise Lost leaked.

Mar 24, 2005
And it is, as of right now, the only real contender for taking your spot at the top this year.

The first track sounds brilliant, great orchestration and chorus effects. And it's really really epic, even though it's only a 2 and a half minute song.

And then here comes the second..

If anyone wants this album and they don't have a means of getting it on their own they can PM me for a download link. I'm so buying this at the show and getting it signed. @_@

And it is, as of right now, the only real contender for taking your spot at the top this year.

The first track sounds brilliant, great orchestration and chorus effects. And it's really really epic, even though it's only a 2 and a half minute song.

And then here comes the second..

If anyone wants this album and they don't have a means of getting it on their own they can PM me for a download link. I'm so buying this at the show and getting it signed. @_@

Haha...I'll wait for the CD to be officially released. I can't remember the last time I downloaded music (except for the new Dream Theater song they posted for free).

I really don't wanna say it... Well, okay, I do.

In the 5 years it took them to make this album, you released two albums. Actually, you did it in roughly half that time. And in that time, both of your albums managed to be a lot better than this. There, I said it. @_@

It's definitely an album I'll continue to listen to, it's pretty solid, but after 5 years they let me down so hard. It's much darker and heavier than any of their previous works, the guitar work is phenomenal as ever, and Russell Allen still proves that he is easily one of the best vocalists to have ever lived. But it's just..not shaping up to be their best album. I'm not done with it yet though, so the rest may still come and smack me in the face with awesome.

I haven't heard the album yet, but that's quite a bold statement. I obviously like the albums we have put out...especially "A Great Divide" but I of course love Symphony X albums just as much. Russell is a singer I really look up to. I look forward to getting them to sign something but I doubt the cd will be out when I see them. I'll get it eventually...

I don't really like competing on albums anymore...growing up and not being in a band it was easy to pick favorites...but I don't like to do that anymore. I don't like to say our album is better than anyone else's because that would be very biased of me. I think there are a lot of bands out in the genre now that are putting out amazing albums and I think it just depends on who's listening as to which they prefer. If you like our albums...AWSOME...but I can't promote you saying it's better than Symphony X (that would just be mean spirited of me...heh)

I didn't mean to go on a rant or anything...sorry.

Clay, you're right, it IS a bold statement. It's a very bold statement. But I really honestly believe it. I'm not just saying it because it's your forum or anything, I'll even go to the SymX board and say it. I truly believe that The Silvery Image and A Great Divide were, on the whole, better albums than Paradise Lost. Heh. That's not to say that it matters much, in the long run they're already established so making a not-perfect album isn't really gonna hurt them much. Especially considering it IS a great album.

And it will be out before the show, it comes out 2 days beforehand. The 23rd.

Edit: Turns out I was wrong, it got pushed back and it's now June 26th. D:

I can't stop you from posting on their forum...that is up to you. Posting that on their forum may lead to some severe verbal lashings from that board though (I kind of stopped posting on their because a lot of the people are quick to start an argument over there).

On another note...I listened to Paradise Lost all the way through this morning. On first listen, I think it's tied for my least favorite symphony x album. Now with that said, my least favorite symphony x album is still awsome...so therefore, this album is awsome. However, it doesn't grab me like some of the others did right away. My favorite song on the album is by far, "Paradise Lost." I think Russell does a little too much growling on this record. Russell's growl is absolutely one of the best, but SO IS HIS REGULAR SINGING...heh. It's by far the heaviest of the albums, but I'm just not too sure if that's a good thing right now. I'm going to have to give it a few more listens to let it sink in because as with all their stuff it takes awhile to sink in. Just not sure if it's what I expected after 5/6 years...however long it's been.

track 2 (the first song) is awsome, the title track is great, and the last song (which references "The Divine Wings of Tragedy") is awsome. The rest are ok on first listen...I will go more in depth as I listen more.

Clay

I think the last track is the best. and I like The Sacrifice a lot..I just wish he didn't growl as much, like you said. Especially on the "ballad" tracks. And the acoustic guitar wankery at the end of The Sacrifice kinda kills it, IMO.

But I agree with what you said, it's definitely one of their weakest, but that doesn't mean it's bad at all. It's still amazing. The only albums worse than this are Twilight In Olympus, and the self-titled, really.

I think the last track is the best. and I like The Sacrifice a lot..I just wish he didn't growl as much, like you said. Especially on the "ballad" tracks. And the acoustic guitar wankery at the end of The Sacrifice kinda kills it, IMO.

But I agree with what you said, it's definitely one of their weakest, but that doesn't mean it's bad at all. It's still amazing. The only albums worse than this are Twilight In Olympus, and the self-titled, really.

Haha...I keep forgetting they even have a self-titled album...that's how infrequently I listen to it. I like Twilight in Olympus, but its definitely not one of my favorites. I agree with Clay in that even though it's not my favorite Symphony X CD, it's still an amazing album. But, V is one of my favorite albums of all time. The composition, the performance, the production, all amazing. Every album they had previously sounded like a demo, production wise (even though Divine Wings has some of the best stuff they've ever done), and The Odyssey just sounded weird. The guitars were all thin and whiny and the drums sounded like Tupperware. I can't wait to hear the whole album in its entirety to see if they were able to get a good sounding production again.

it's actually kind of funny, but suspyre inadvertently helped kill my enjoyment of symphony x. see, on my playlist, suspyre goes just before Symphony X, and so every time i'd be finished listening to The Silvery Image (or today, A Great Divide), the first thing that comes after it is Symphony X's self titled, which is, for lack of a better word, awful, really. so, considering there've been times when i'd listen to Suspyre almost all day, having to hear SymX's debut album just kind of... clinched my desire to listen to them at all, rofl.

that and i just kind of outgrew them, for the most part. I still love their epics, though. Hope their new album stacks up to my expectations.

I hate to post something like this on this forum, seeing as all of the dudes from Suspyre, as well as other members, seem to be huge SX fans...but I never really got into them. Yeah, when I was listening to their albums I thought, "Wow, this is pretty awesome shit." But, following that, I never really listened to those albums again. In fact, I've only spun The Odyssey more than twice. I readily acknowledge that Allen is an amazing vocalist and that their songwriting is very technical and complex. I think the fault lies within the fact that, in my opinion, their material is simply not memorable. Suspyre, on the other hand, is hard to get out of your mind once you've listened to it. I've played A Great Divide at least 6 or 7 times in its entirety since obtaining it and I absolutely love it. I still fully stand be the statement that A Great Divide is the best album to be released this year thus far.

I'm not a huge Sym. X fan either, to be honest. Good music and all but I never really feel the urge to whip out a CD and listen. If a song is played on Beyond Ear Candy or Pandora I'll listen, but that's about it.

It certainly doesn't bother me if you don't like Symphony X. They do have some amazing tlent in the band and together they seem to be pretty acceptable to most people, however, not everyone. There are memorable moments for me throughout "V" and others, but "V" is my favorite album from them by far. If you get the chance, go back and listen to that album. As a full album, it is hard to beat in my opinion.

Thank you for your opinion on a great divide. Honestly, you said stated exactly what I try to do. Granted, all I get to do is provide vocals, but I want my singing on the album to be memorable. What really makes it stand out is the music though. Gregg knows how to make the music tell a story...and you are not the first person to let me know that our songs stick with you. I am excited when I hear something like that because I feel like I accomplished what I was trying to do. So a big thanks goes out to you.

Clay ~ Suspyre

I hate to post something like this on this forum, seeing as all of the dudes from Suspyre, as well as other members, seem to be huge SX fans...but I never really got into them. Yeah, when I was listening to their albums I thought, "Wow, this is pretty awesome shit." But, following that, I never really listened to those albums again. In fact, I've only spun The Odyssey more than twice. I readily acknowledge that Allen is an amazing vocalist and that their songwriting is very technical and complex. I think the fault lies within the fact that, in my opinion, their material is simply not memorable. Suspyre, on the other hand, is hard to get out of your mind once you've listened to it. I've played A Great Divide at least 6 or 7 times in its entirety since obtaining it and I absolutely love it. I still fully stand be the statement that A Great Divide is the best album to be released this year thus far.

I know what you mean. The thing that bothers me about Symphony X is the redundancy of their music. It's not far-fetched to say that pretty much all their heavy songs sound the same (yes, there are a few exceptions), and all their mellow songs sound the same. I was working on a project once when I ripped all of their mellow ones and put them into a sequencer and listened to certain snips of the songs back-to-back, and it was surprising to see how often they use the same motives. They use a lot of the same ideas in "The Edge of Forever," "The Accolade," and "Communion and the Oracle." I didn't want to save it, because I don't want to give the impression that I was trying to insult them. The reason I listen to them is because every member in the band is an excellent player and there are no physical flaws on the albums. I don't listen for composition; most of the "classical" parts are direct quotes from others' music (I hear Holst, Bartok, Mozart, etc).

And to repeat what Clay said; thanks for the comments on "A Great Divide"! I'm glad you like it and it stays with you. I try to make music that is not only worthy of repeated spins, but necessary of them. There are too many albums out there where you can hear everything the first listen. I, myself, am still hearing new things on "A Great Divide," heh.

Suspyre wouldn't exist in the state it is now if SYmphony X didn't do what they do. If I had never learned about Russell Allen and all his glory I would have never tried to be as bad ass as he is...of course I will never be, but that's beyond the point.

I met them last night and they are even more bad ass up close. Russell certainly looks the coolest with Pinella running a close second. Rullo is shorter than me...which I didn't think was possible. I had a blast and they were so nice (signed everything that anyone would put in front of them). I don't care if Gregg thinks their music is repetitive...because I think they rock my socks off! So hah to you Gregg!

I'm bored at work today...can anyone tell?

I was gonna be there but my paycheck was smaller than I expected so I couldn't buy the CD. Shit man, I would've killed to meet Symphony X in a setting like that.

Me, too! Welcome to the club!! :headbang:

I certainly respect Sym. X for what they do. They are excellent musicians. From a compositional standpoint, though, I think there are many more exciting bands out there today. Suspyre being one of them **brown-nose**

:)

Well Gregg does rock **brown-nose**

Hell you guys are talking about new Symphony X album.
You know what, A GREAT DIVIDE kills everything Symphony X has ever put out.
Definitely the best Progressive Metal album this year.
Thank you for making good music.
I will buy your first album soon. Sure it would be as good.