So the new EZX is called: (also: Andy Sneap presets etc)

Andy, I just have to say THANK YOU for making this. $9 for these sounds, and a chance to get inside your head, so to speak? Talk about a bargain! I'm mostly a hobbyist these days. Just mainly focusing on recording my own music in my free time now (which is rare commodity now that I have a kid) instead of working with bands. I recently stepped up from EZdrummer to Superior/MF...which I found to be a God send. I've been working hard at crafting my own sounds. I was getting close, but not quite there. Then I loaded up your presets, and holy crap. Just a tiny bit more tweaking, and I'm there. They're all good, and should be useful at some point. But since these days I mainly focus on my own 80's metal revival stuff, the Teutonic preset was just PERFECT. In a pinch, it's good to go as it is. But with a little more tweaking here and there, and with the flexibility of Superior (and the option to use FX outside of Superior), it's just put that sound right there for me. For a little more old school 80's sound, I can beef up the snare a little more, add a little more room...but it's already so close. I don't care what anyone else says...I say THANKS!

I am really unhappy with those sounds. I also wouldn't pay money for presets made by someone who has hardly ever used Superior 2.0, and has no real plans to use it after he crafts some presets. I might think about buying presets from someone who actually uses the product and has tons of experience in it and has thoroughly used the engine and effects. I have respect for Andy, but you could tell from the look on his face in the video he was totally uncomfortable with Superior 2.0. He pretty much said he was totally against everything he was doing by creating the presets, but what the hell... I'm doing it anyway! Very uncomfortable video.

That's a really bizarre observation man. Sneap's renowned for his mixing skills end of. Superior is real drums, in a plug-in, in a DAW... and you think he's going to forget how to do what he's been doing for 20 years because it's a bunch of different knobs with different colours? :lol: Mixing is mixing. If you're good at it you're good at it. In other words you could sit Andy in front of my Tascam 4-track cassette recorder and he'd make it sound the shit (exaggeration, but par for the course). Or, if you want a better analogy, a guitarist doesn't just forget how to play guitar when he's got a different guitar in his hands.

Also FWIW he only hints at negativity when it comes to the realism of the PERFORMANCE side of things, not the sonic quality. Real drums is real drums.

That's a really bizarre observation man. Sneap's renowned for his mixing skills end of. Superior is real drums, in a plug-in, in a DAW... and you think he's going to forget how to do what he's been doing for 20 years because it's a bunch of different knobs with different colours? :lol: Mixing is mixing. If you're good at it you're good at it. In other words you could sit Andy in front of my Tascam 4-track cassette recorder and he'd make it sound the shit (exaggeration, but par for the course). Or, if you want a better analogy, a guitarist doesn't just forget how to play guitar when he's got a different guitar in his hands.

Also FWIW he only hints at negativity when it comes to the realism of the PERFORMANCE side of things, not the sonic quality. Real drums is real drums.

THIS

full credit to sneap for proving its how you use the plugins - he's shown that despite not tracking the drums, and using plugins he never normally uses, or his usual samples to augment, he has got pretty similar sounds with his own 'stamp' on it (I don't mean it in the sense that they all sound the same, but it sounds characteristically what Andy goes for).

Im kind of curious to see what Andy's done, but I presume it would be pretty different if he tracked the drums and used his usual methods.

full credit to sneap for proving its how you use the plugins - he's shown that despite not tracking the drums, and using plugins he never normally uses, or his usual samples to augment, he has got pretty similar sounds with his own 'stamp' on it (I don't mean it in the sense that they all sound the same, but it sounds characteristically what Andy goes for).

Im kind of curious to see what Andy's done, but I presume it would be pretty different if he tracked the drums and used his usual methods.

+1

I think these are really educational in terms of the volume of each drum in comparison to the other and amounts of reverb. The overheads seem a little odd though. When listening on headphones it almost feels like the are at the back of my head.

Matt, I had no intentions of insulting the software, I think its great. I do think the eq / comp/ rev is limited, I told mattias this but as we all have these within our daw , I know I'd use other stuff. But like I say, the point of the exercise was to give people a go to preset that would start them in an ok place using solely the onboard processing and sounds from metal foundry.

Andy, sorry I'm not saying you insulted anything. I agreed with Ermz that you did a great job of NOT insulting the software, while giving your honest feeling about it. I agree, the on board effects in S2 are weak. I also have never been wowed by the snares and kicks in S2, and I own it. You probably did a very nice job on these presets, and many will love loading them up and enjoying them.

Can't wait to try those settings with D-Verb and MH Channel Strip and LEARN A LOT!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANDY!!!!!!!!!!
:worship:notworthy:worship:

I agree, the on board effects in S2 are weak.

I think that while this is true, I've always looked at presets as more of a learning tool to see how others use certain tools (not necessarily specific plugins) say compression, reverb, or EQ to create a particular end result. I've never used presets as presented but I have taken what others have done and used the tools I prefer to try and get a similar sound if I like the end result and used the preset settings as guidelines for particular methodologies towards a specific result.

Even with things like synths - if I come across a preset I really like, I did down into it to find out how filters were used, what type of sound waves and oscillation was used, the types of envelope generators used to get that end result - it allows me to have a better understanding of the method of producing a particular sound I like - I look at these presets in a similar way. I'll probably buy them and do a little digging to see what was done - will I use them as is - probably not, but who knows. For $9.00 it's a cheap learning tool and a nice snapshot of a great producers methodologies.

thank you Andy and Toontrack for this lesson. I found that some things I was doing very similar, some tricks were new. Understanding why is on the way. :)

Looks nice too!

tnl_metalheadsezx.jpg

BITCHES STOLE MY DRUMKIT! COPYRIGHT CONTROL GET ON IT...:p

drums.jpg

Just bought that thing. As a selfrecording musician I really dig the usability of EZDrummer. But every EZX had that issue with lacking low-end power. I hope that they were fixing this for Metalheads.

Does anyone know if the Testament song posted in Toontrack's site was done with one preset in particular? or is it just a custom mix from Andy in SD2.0? I was listening to the audio tracks on the site versus the ones posted by a user here, and they sound very different.

Andy, how much post processing is in the Toontrack site samples? they sound great!